GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning @ New Jersey Devils

Coorslight

Washington, Florida and Winnipeg could all pass us.

If that happens then we deserve to lose because the Devils are a better team all around than any of those teams.

The Devils lost to the Canucks (the best team in the league IMO) because Schneider stole the game, just like Garon did today. Although the Devils had more quality chances in this game I believe.

Also, Larson was SUPER fvcking rusty. They'll get back on track tomorrow, they don't have a choice. It will be sweet to beat the Rags again.

So all the SE teams are going to play at a 20+ point clip in the final month when they're all playing each other? There better be a lot of three-point games then :lol:

I'm saying that 2 of them could pass us.

But answer me this, does anything prove to you that this season is any different from that past several seasons?

The last time we didn't hit the skids late in the season was 05-06, even last year when we were trying to get into a spot we hit the skids late in the season. The only difference between this season and 06-07 to 09-10 is that during those seasons we were sitting pretty and could afford to slump.

I'm saying that 2 of them could pass us.

But answer me this, does anything prove to you that this season is any different from that past several seasons?

The last time we didn't hit the skids late in the season was 05-06, even last year when we were trying to get into a spot we hit the skids late in the season. The only difference between this season and 06-07 to 09-10 is that during those seasons we were sitting pretty and could afford to slump.

Two doesn't put us in danger of missing the playoffs. You'd still need Ottawa without their starting goalie and Toronto without any goalie to pass us as well.

I don't disagree that the Devils 'need' to not be on a skid going into the playoffs but two straight losses after a 9-1-1 stretch don't exactly show the sky's falling yet. Like I said get back to me at the end of this week...five in a row, then you have a genuine beef. Four out of five losses wouldn't be great but probably expected at this point with what's ahead. If you're going to give the Devils bad marks for the Toronto game which they won, then you have to give them plus marks for the Vancouver game which they lost.

Two doesn't put us in danger of missing the playoffs. You'd still need Ottawa without their starting goalie and Toronto without any goalie to pass us as well.

I don't disagree that the Devils 'need' to not be on a skid going into the playoffs but two straight losses after a 9-1-1 stretch don't exactly show the sky's falling yet. Like I said get back to me at the end of this week...five in a row, then you have a genuine beef. Four out of five losses wouldn't be great but probably expected at this point with what's ahead. If you're going to give the Devils bad marks for the Toronto game which they won, then you have to give them plus marks for the Vancouver game which they lost.

In your opinion: During the stretch after the ASG, are there any games reflected on the scoreboard and in the game that shows we really dominated?

hahaha why don't people have carpathianforest on ignore, he's reaching getreal levels of dumb negativity

Perhaps you were absent that day, but my negativity is based highly on my superstition that the high amount of optimism on this board needs to be balanced.

Most of my arguments are based on me playing Devil's Advocate and trying to get boardies to think things through a bit.

That being said, Tri, it's good to know that you duck the debate and prefer to hit the ignore button. I used to think you were one of the more knowledgable individuals on this board.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Perhaps you were absent that day, but my negativity is based highly on my superstition that the high amount of optimism on this board needs to be balanced.

Most of my arguments are based on me playing Devil's Advocate and trying to get boardies to think things through a bit.

That being said, Tri, it's good to know that you duck the debate and prefer to hit the ignore button. I used to think you were one of the more knowledgable individuals on this board.

I'll respond to this only because I decided to look this up. I end up reading half your dumb posts anyway.

Here's some numbers for you:

7-7-4

5-9-3

3-5-1

Guess what these are.

hahaha why don't people have carpathianforest on ignore, he's reaching getreal levels of dumb negativity

I gotta agree, some of his posts are beyond depressing and ridiculous. It's getting to be Mantaray bad.

Superstition? You do realize no matter what you do during the day, it's not going to have any relevance as to whether or not the Devils play well right?

I've had him on ignore since the midway point of the season, I believe we were in the middle of a skid in perhaps December. He and SMT3 were screaming bloody murder because the Devils weren't on pace to go 82-0, and I tried to respond politely and constructively but was continually met with idiotic .GIFs and pop culture references that were completely irrelevant and added nothing to the discussion. It was at that point I realized his posts were useless to reply to and I put him on ignore. Unfortunately users continually attempt to refute all of his brilliant theories and I have to read his stuff quoted in others posts.

I've had him on ignore since the midway point of the season, I believe we were in the middle of a skid in perhaps December. He and SMT3 were screaming bloody murder because the Devils weren't on pace to go 82-0, and I tried to respond politely and constructively but was continually met with idiotic .GIFs and pop culture references that were completely irrelevant and added nothing to the discussion. It was at that point I realized his posts were useless to reply to and I put him on ignore. Unfortunately users continually attempt to refute all of his brilliant theories and I have to read his stuff quoted in others posts.

I rarely do this but: "+1"

That and his frequency to scream "bloody murder" after freely admitting he hadn't even watched the game....

By the way, "Pie in the Sky", to me at least, is always compared to the expectations at the outset of this season with a questionable D le by a 18-yr. old, no Zajac, and ZP on a one year deal. The projection was bubble team or low seed - we have already exceeded "Pie in the Sky". Anyone thinking this team is VAN or BOS of 2011 is deluding themselves. Enjoy the ride - remember where we were last year at this time - so far I have zero complaints.

Edited by DevilinLA
  • Like 2

A few people on nj.com are even acting like the sky is falling reading their comments to the story about Larsson's struggle coming back and Zidlicky's first game (remember how almost everyone was saying the Kovy trade was such a huge mistake, now he one of the team favorites - although there are still plenty who won't give up on bashing Kovy every time he makes a mistake.) . Jesus, it's a streak all teams go through. Sometimes its long sometimes its a few games. Who knows, hopefully it doesn't go on too long. Hopefully we beat the ranjerks again tonight. People just can't go all negative like the world is coming to an end because of some trade we made, and the outcome of the very next game, or when a player has been out for a while then makes mistakes his first game back. Yes, someone should have put that mighty midget St. Louis on his back multiple times, but these days hitting a short guy like that will end up in a penalty because they'll say you got him up high or something - which is really easy to do on him - but it was a bad effort in the second half of the game. Just have to get the intensity up for tonight and put the negative thoughts away. When you doubt, you're only confirming that bad stuff will happen. It's psychological, and it's toxic. <br><br>These guys are HUMAN, not machines. You can't expect them to be flawless multiple games in a row. The uncertainty makes the season interesting, otherwise why bother to watch the game if it's a guarantee of a win?<br><br>We're not going to make 1st place in the Conference or overall for that matter, and actually I wouldn't want us to. Teams get a big ego when they win that damn President's Trophy and last few years haven't had much to show for it in the playoffs. Anything in the playoffs is automatically better than last year anyway just by the act of getting in. The rest is icing on the cake.<br>

Edited by Legion15

Who says we don't lol...I suspect half the board has him on ignore for the gif alone. I just got bored last night :P

lol. name 3 pie in the sky posters.

also you didn't guess about what those numbers are.

Yeah really...the only pie in the sky anything I see around here is people assuming nothing's wrong with the team moneywise and it's a media creation :P But this year's team has had 'more' than its share of skeptics including me.

Larsson looked better than I expected for his first game back. That being said, he had some mental lapses.... one of the most glaring was the icing in the third period where he didn't think any Lightning players were going to challenge him and he tiptoed to get the puck and got beat. That kind of stuff won't happen tonight.

Zidlicky made some real nice passes. I think he's going to be a very positive addition to the team.

I think today, the Devils try to pick up a fourth line right wing to replace Janssen. Either that, or they wait til Zajac comes back and put Bernier on the fourth. Carter-Josefson-Bernier would be a nice fourth line.