Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I've been to Fernandes a few times, though its never been covered in Glocally. I am in love with everything about that place form the sangria down to the rodizio. Conversely, I don't care for McWhorters. At all. Part of it is that meat on a bone is too much a pain in the ass, and the other part is that I simply don't think it's anything to write home about.

Meanwhile, I've been exploring the University Street area by Rutgers, and here's a couple places that were worthwhile:

University Cafe (Gyros)

Robert's Pizza

I recently read a small writeup on Fornos, on NJ Monthly's website. What's everyone's opinion of Fornos?

With regard to Fernandes, can I catch the trolley by that restaurant to go to the game and then back to my car afterward? ... Or more generally speaking, how easy is it to park and eat in the Ironbound section and take the trolley to the game and back afterward?

95 I have yet to use the trolley so I can't speak to it's convience but I have seen the route. I would say that you still need to walk 6 blocks from where they say the trolley stops to get to Fernandez and you may be better off drive there and taking the trolley back and forth...just an option.

As for Fornos, my parents love it adn it's one of the first places I ever went to in the Ironbound. I would say it's great for a family dinner and attracts a huge birthday crowd so thats pretty much the Fri and Saturday atmosphere. Oh and I should mention you do fornos for the seafood.

Also, have we given it any thought to making these Newark related items into one thread...like the Purgatory or maybe just an Around Hell section. I just notices another newark related thread pop up and it always brings me to that.

I haven't read the thread so sorry if this was posted, but has anyone ever been to Altas Horas in the Portuguese section? It's like a 10-15 minute walk from the Rock, pretty small little place but really awesome CHEAP food.

I got something called "Da Hora", it's a burger patty, sirloin steak patty, chicken breast, bacon, ham, corn, mayo, potato sticks. I think that's it, anyways it was pretty intense, and all for only 8 bucks. (Most other sandwiches are like 4-5$ bucks for a pretty good side.)

I haven't read the thread so sorry if this was posted, but has anyone ever been to Altas Horas in the Portuguese section? It's like a 10-15 minute walk from the Rock, pretty small little place but really awesome CHEAP food.

I got something called "Da Hora", it's a burger patty, sirloin steak patty, chicken breast, bacon, ham, corn, mayo, potato sticks. I think that's it, anyways it was pretty intense, and all for only 8 bucks. (Most other sandwiches are like 4-5$ bucks for a pretty good side.)

Jolly that sandwich is the best drunken munchie food...Just thinking about it makes me feel buzzed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never taken the trolley, nor have I ever been to Fernandez Steakhouse, but according to the trolley map and google, the trolley's I7 stop is one block away from the restaurant.

Ya that map is deceptive, they associate stops with regions that have those restaurants. Fernandez is in the East Ironbound and 6-8 blocks from that stop. You would just walk down fleming and at the end of fleming is Fernandez.

Just out of curiousity, whats so bad about the Brick City Bar and Grill? I'm just wondering since the viewing party is there in a couple weeks.

I don't mind BCB&G, but because it's right there, it seems to get crowded way quicker than some of the other places, so I rarely go there. The few times I got something to eat there last year, the food was good.

The Zeppelin Hall beergarden was an AMAZING place to do the viewing party. I hope they have a bunch more there, great atmosphere, and room for hundreds of people - literally up to two THOUSAND people when it's nice out and they can open the outdoors sections.

Just out of curiousity, whats so bad about the Brick City Bar and Grill? I'm just wondering since the viewing party is there in a couple weeks.

They have an "event night menu" which is a stripped down version of their regular menu and charge $2 more than their already ridiculous prices on game nights. Shame too, because the backyard bbq burger was my favorite burger ever, but it was $14 to begin with.

In other news, I just got an email from Rio 22, which is a pretty awesome Rodizio and sushi place on route 22 in Union. They're opening a new location on Route 21 on Friday Feb. 5th, but it's further up near the ballpark. Could be a good pre or post-game stop if you're driving in or don't mind a sangria-induced long stumble to the arena for the game.

• 1 month later...

I took a half-day at work yesterday (March 10, 2010) so that the lady and I could have time to enjoy a nice early dinner at Fernandes Steakhouse a few hours before the Devils layed a 6-3 beatdown on Queen Henry and the Rangers. 'Twas my first time eating anywhwere in the Ironbound section since the Devils moved to Newark. Fernandes had gotten pretty good reviews everwhere I looked, including in this forum. So I figured I had to try it.

One word: "Delicious!"

We had a pitcher of red sangria, likely the best sangria I ever had.

For appetizers we shared the sauteed shrimp in garlic sauce and the barbecued Portuguese sausage.

For dinner she had one of the specials, black angus steak with stuffed shrimp. There was so much on the plate, she could barely eat half of it. And it was very tasty.

A few people had told me that if I ever ate at Fernandes I had to order the steak on a tile, so that's what I did. I didn't see it on the menu, but I asked the waiter and he told me that I had a choice of three different types of steaks. I don't know if it was because of his thick accent or if it was because he was speaking softly, but I didn't hear what the choices were. But my wife heard him list filet mignon as one of the choices, which was good enough for me. So that's what I ordered. Holy crap what a delicious steak! So soft and tender, it sliced like butter and melted into my mouth. It was quite possibly one of the best steaks I ever had.

If any of this sounds good to you, then definitely try this restaurant. Needless to say, I will be going back there.

http://www.fernandessteakhouse.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I took a half-day at work yesterday (March 10, 2010) so that the lady and I could have time to enjoy a nice early dinner at Fernandes Steakhouse a few hours before the Devils layed a 6-3 beatdown on Queen Henry and the Rangers. 'Twas my first time eating anywhwere in the Ironbound section since the Devils moved to Newark. Fernandes had gotten pretty good reviews everwhere I looked, including in this forum. So I figured I had to try it.

One word: "Delicious!"

We had a pitcher of red sangria, likely the best sangria I ever had.

For appetizers we shared the sauteed shrimp in garlic sauce and the barbecued Portuguese sausage.

For dinner she had one of the specials, black angus steak with stuffed shrimp. There was so much on the plate, she could barely eat half of it. And it was very tasty.

A few people had told me that if I ever ate at Fernandes I had to order the steak on a tile, so that's what I did. I didn't see it on the menu, but I asked the waiter and he told me that I had a choice of three different types of steaks. I don't know if it was because of his thick accent or if it was because he was speaking softly, but I didn't hear what the choices were. But my wife heard him list filet mignon as one of the choices, which was good enough for me. So that's what I ordered. Holy crap what a delicious steak! So soft and tender, it sliced like butter and melted into my mouth. It was quite possibly one of the best steaks I ever had.

If any of this sounds good to you, then definitely try this restaurant. Needless to say, I will be going back there.

http://www.fernandessteakhouse.com/

Fernandes is the bomb. hey've got jumbo shrimp the size of your head.

It's been a while, so here's a slew of new foodie posts over at Glocally. Anyone got a recommendation on where to get a good cheese steak? I'm running a lil competition, looking for the best...

Broad Street Cafe

McGovern's

Random Foodie Notes (John's Pizza, Cafe Side Dish and more)

Back to Golden City! (The Chinese place across from Arena Lounge)

Spanish Tavern (Highly recommended!)

• 2 weeks later...

Francesca's is my new go-to place. The food is AMAZING! Some of the best Italian I've had. It's on McWhorter (go past Hell's Kitchen on Lafayette and make a right). Make sure you get the garlic bread!

Edited by The Rock 07

• 1 month later...

I'm rather interested to see what everyone's opinion of Port 44 was. my housemate loves it but her bf was underwelmed...

Do they have food yet or is it still bring your own?

• 2 weeks later...