Marty says Devils were "pretty close" to signing Parise... and

Daniel

yeah - that's cute.

of course it ignores the lamoriello quote around since that time where lou said he called Suter's agent and was told he had no interest in NJ.

parise/suter was never happening in NJ even without the money problems. if the devils were flush with cash, they likely sign parise before he hits UFA and suter actually goes to detroit when he hits UFA.

yeah - that's cute.

of course it ignores the lamoriello quote around since that time where lou said he called Suter's agent and was told he had no interest in NJ.

parise/suter was never happening in NJ even without the money problems. if the devils were flush with cash, they likely sign parise before he hits UFA and suter actually goes to detroit when he hits UFA.

Don't recall Lou saying anything about Suter. 

yeah - that's cute.

Miller is new to the beat, and he got some new quotes from Brodeur which was enough to make the article interesting. I doubt he knew what was going on back in 2012.

The idea of Lou calling his broke boss Vanderbeek and saying I need to add a 2nd and 3rd $100 million contract is hilarious.

I just don't buy this stuff. I don't think Zach had any intention of re-signing in NJ. The one year deal was very telling IMO. He was probably blowing smoke up Marty's ass just like he did to Lou and the rest of us.

Edited by Jerzey Devil
  • Like 1

Miller is new to the beat, and he got some new quotes from Brodeur which was enough to make the article interesting. I doubt he knew what was going on back in 2012.

The idea of Lou calling his broke boss Vanderbeek and saying I need to add a 2nd and 3rd $100 million contract is hilarious.

what's funny is the fan in JVB would've absolutely said go for it. But i think by then, the league was controlling the devils pursestrings to some extent. not quite the double secret probation that brooks would report - but the league wasn't going to let the devils give out contracts like that. its useless anyway because, as shown, suter was never coming here.

Lou didn't mean plan B as his second option, he meant plan B as plan Butler, Bobby Butler.

that's funny.

I just don't buy this stuff. I don't think Zach had any intention of re-signing in NJ. The one year deal was very telling IMO. He was probably blowing smoke up Marty's ass just like he did to Lou and the rest of us.

the one year deal was the devils, not zach. this is widely known. they didn't have the money at the time. parise was ready for a long term contract both of his last two contracts and the devils didn't do it.

translation...he had no interest in playing or living in New Jersey when he could go to Minneapolis which is only a 1hr flight or 4hr drive from his hometown

there is also the matter of Zach's wife, who was rumored to be a driving force in this as well

simply not true. i posted during zp's last season (and i still believe it to be a true story) that the devils offered him 7/50 in the middle of the season and he was close to accepting. his agents told him not to because even if he wanted to stay with the devils, he'd get way more from them by going to 71/. hindsight now shows that he had non-specific/what-if conversations with suter that maybe, if it worked, out, wouldn't it be cool so that also held him off from signing early.

as for his wife, she's from north dakota and had a ton of friends in NJ. it was zach going home, not her.

the one year deal was the devils, not zach. this is widely known. they didn't have the money at the time. parise was ready for a long term contract both of his last two contracts and the devils didn't do it.

simply not true. i posted during zp's last season (and i still believe it to be a true story) that the devils offered him 7/50 in the middle of the season and he was close to accepting. his agents told him not to because even if he wanted to stay with the devils, he'd get way more from them by going to 71/. hindsight now shows that he had non-specific/what-if conversations with suter that maybe, if it worked, out, wouldn't it be cool so that also held him off from signing early.

as for his wife, she's from north dakota and had a ton of friends in NJ. it was zach going home, not her.

He had his parents in his ear, probably, but bringing Parise's girlfriend stuff is the norm in sports (after a few high profile wives/girlfriends made power moves). It's BS. 

I think from everything we know it was between the Wild and the Devils. Parise got monster offers from Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago (I believe) and told all of them they were out after a day or two. It came down to NJ and Minny, and when he was able to get Suter along, the decision was made.

Both players took less money to go there. From everything reported, I believe Suter had a $120 million offer from Detroit, and Zach had a $110 million offer somewhere else. I really believe it an extremely hard decision for Zach. The phone calls he had with Brodeur add to that.

Get pissed at him for the decision he made, but I honestly believe he struggled with his decision and the Devils were the only other team that he would have gone too. 

Edited by devilsrule33

If I was going on Thursday I'd boo Zach until I lost my voice.

To the article though..that's just torturous.  Although I gotta respect Marty, he's essentially saying what many of us have been thinking/posting here.

You can say this about anything in life really, but the timing with this whole situation really sucked.  If these new owners had surfaced a few years earlier, or had the lockout occurred one year earlier, etc...Zach, and apparently Suter, could have been Devils.  Can you imagine?

:saddevil:

Edited by Devilsfan118

I've never heard that about Detroit offering Suter $120 million. The only $100 million offer for him I remember was the Flyers supposedly. I think they were the only other ones to offer Parise $100 million too (the Wild's initial offer was higher but supposedly he dropped below $100 million partly so they could get Suter)

Why is everyone REFUSING to believe ANY RUMOURS all the time saying that NOTHING leaks from Lou and that as long TG doesnt report it that it's bullsh!t. But once this "rumour" about that offer popped, everyone is willing to believe it without questions lol oh life haha

It's funny that Marty says Suter was almost lured to NJ. I distinctly remember Lou saying Suter did not want to come to NJ.

Marty didn't say that, and the article didn't say that. Just an editor trying to make a flashy headline for page clicks.

What Marty and the article says is that there was almost an attempt to try and get Suter to come to NJ. It probably never happened because Suter had no interest.

Why is everyone REFUSING to believe ANY RUMOURS all the time saying that NOTHING leaks from Lou and that as long TG doesnt report it that it's bullsh!t. But once this "rumour" about that offer popped, everyone is willing to believe it without questions lol oh life haha

because VERY little does leak from lou. the contract offer i discussed wasn't something i read on twitter. it came from inside the devils.

because VERY little does leak from lou. the contract offer i discussed wasn't something i read on twitter. it came from inside the devils.

link or it didnt happened. Thats the way it is for everything else. So why not this?

Edited by SterioDesign

Because we are more inclined to believe something from one of our own who has been here a long time and has no reason to make it up then we are to believe @hockeyinsiderrrrr or @REALHOCKEYRUMERZ or whatever other know-nothing Twitter handle comes up with.

link or it didnt happened. Thats the way it is for everything else. So why not this?

you don't have to believe it - just like you don't have to believe anything.

look - i'm no better than anyone else. but i'd like to think that being on this board since its inception and being part of the original crew going back 3 sites prior, and the fact that what little "inside" information i get is pretty credible allows me to say, "this is what i've been led to believe by a reliable source" and not have people think that source is the CAA security guard or some bullsh!t twitter account.

Because we are more inclined to believe something from one of our own who has been here a long time and has no reason to make it up then we are to believe @hockeyinsiderrrrr or @REALHOCKEYRUMERZ or whatever other know-nothing Twitter handle comes up with.

that rumour came from who? i NEVER saw any legit report of this or any report at all actually other than people mentioning it here and trust me i looked.

Its more like people are more inclined to believe what they want to believe than anything else.