L.A. Out of Kovalchuck Sweepstakes

DevsFan7545

Is it possible that Lou has asked Kovalchuk to wait for a period of time to see if he can clear enough space for him and that this is why Kovalchuk's camp is giving everyone else the run-around in the meanwhile?

I don't really think so because Lou can just sign him right now and then clear cap space afterward.

I don't really think so because Lou can just sign him right now and then clear cap space afterward.

Yes, but there's a difference from Lou's perspective on his bargaining position with other teams if he is perceived as being more desperate to clear cap space because he's already over rather than not being in a forced position.

I'm getting kind of worried that we're going to sign Kovalchuk to a ridiculous contract (which I consider $8 million/year and up). I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize Parise's future with this club, and I know that people will argue "but with Arnott of the books next summer, we can use that money plus what Parise almost makes to lock him up as well," but I just don't see Lou locking up $15/16 million in two players. Even though cap-wise it is doable, I sincerely think it comes down to Parise or Kovalchuk long-term, and I would much rather have Zach.

Just to clarify, the rumor by LA blogger was Simmonds, a 1st round pick and a prospect for Carter and Gagne (KOVY not involved). With the cap space generated by the trade, Philly would sign Kovy as a free agent.

I'm trying to remeber where I read that Lou offered Kovy 2 yrs @ 6 Mil per. It might have been Dreger's twitter feed. But if that is the case then I'm all for it. The contract would run parallel with Marty's and the cost isn't too high. Kovy would be a UFA again at 29. Anything more than 7 mil and I would rather Lou worked on a trade instead for puck moving D-man and some secondary scoring.

Just to clarify, the rumor by LA blogger was Simmonds, a 1st round pick and a prospect for Carter and Gagne (KOVY not involved). With the cap space generated by the trade, Philly would sign Kovy as a free agent.

I'm trying to remeber where I read that Lou offered Kovy 2 yrs @ 6 Mil per. It might have been Dreger's twitter feed. But if that is the case then I'm all for it. The contract would run parallel with Marty's and the cost isn't too high. Kovy would be a UFA again at 29. Anything more than 7 mil and I would rather Lou worked on a trade instead for puck moving D-man and some secondary scoring.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) was the one that reported it, citing one of his "sources". So yea.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) was the one that reported it, citing one of his "sources". So yea.

Either way, Kovy isn't taking 6 mil/year at this point; he thinks he can get more, and probably can.

Edited by devils26

Either way, Kovy isn't taking 6 mil/year at this point; he thinks he can get more, and probably can.

There is NO WAY he takes that contract.

A. He can get more now

B. He doesn't want to become a UFA at 29. His biggest deal comes now.

A. He can get more now

Where did you guys hear he doesn't want to go to Russia? Wasn't he offered $14mil per season for 4 years tax free? He ain't getting anything close to that here so we at least know he doesn't "want" to go to Russia or he would have already, but if the price difference is too much...

A. He can get more now

Its possbile he takes that contract. There is no market for him at what he is looking for. LA is out, and its only the Devils and maybe the Islanders (which I doubt). But Philly and Colorado are not looking at him, so he may have to settle.

Its possbile he takes that contract. There is no market for him at what he is looking for. LA is out, and its only the Devils and maybe the Islanders (which I doubt). But Philly and Colorado are not looking at him, so he may have to settle.

Let me state unequivocally right now: He's not signing a 2 yr/12M dollar contract.

Edited by ben00rs

I'm getting kind of worried that we're going to sign Kovalchuk to a ridiculous contract (which I consider $8 million/year and up). I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize Parise's future with this club, and I know that people will argue "but with Arnott of the books next summer, we can use that money plus what Parise almost makes to lock him up as well," but I just don't see Lou locking up $15/16 million in two players. Even though cap-wise it is doable, I sincerely think it comes down to Parise or Kovalchuk long-term, and I would much rather have Zach.

15 mill for two of the best players in the league is reasonable, and still leaves room for other players. Every winning team has two mega-stars in the lineup nowadays.

I agree you can have 2 superstars, however if you compare the Devils and, say, the Penguins, the major difference is that the Devils depth forwards are way overpaid. The Pens have 4 forwards making over $2m, compared to the Devils' 8. There's no way to build the Devils into a great team without dumping one or two of the larger contracts, and that's all going to depend on who's willing to waive the NTC and what Lou's willing to give up to sweeten the deal.

I agree you can have 2 superstars, however if you compare the Devils and, say, the Penguins, the major difference is that the Devils depth forwards are way overpaid. The Pens have 4 forwards making over $2m, compared to the Devils' 8. There's no way to build the Devils into a great team without dumping one or two of the larger contracts, and that's all going to depend on who's willing to waive the NTC and what Lou's willing to give up to sweeten the deal.

As I've said all along, someone or more has to go.

Well yeah, but if the Devils were to sign Kovalchuk, they'd have to shed some salary, so instantly Rolston's $5 millon or Zubrus's $3.4 million are gone, or something similar to that.