Let's Look Back and See How Stupid We Were

devilsrule33

I stand by everything I said about Kovalchuk. The Devils paid too much, didn't get enough out of him for someone who led the NHL in forward minutes, has no defensive awareness/desire (see HEART) and suddenly disappeared in the finals after he supposedly got well (or better) after one game against Filthadelphia. I continue to find the soltuion for goaltending, defense, more depth at center, and a powerplay who does not have such high risk on the point (see Kovalchuk) to be top concerns for next year.

The Devils got farther than I thought and I thought I might eat my words until game one of the finals. Nothing has changed and despite what the overwelming majority of Devils fans on this board think, there are many outside of it who agree that Kovalchuk is a "bust". Many players have helped teams to the finals, but if they do not win... well, did they really help? Does anyone remember who helped the Flyers to the SCF in the late 90's? How about who helped Detroit in '95? What about Dallas in 2000? Probably not... because if you do not win it does not matter.

I stand by everything I said about Kovalchuk. The Devils paid too much, didn't get enough out of him for someone who led the NHL in forward minutes, has no defensive awareness/desire (see HEART) and suddenly disappeared in the finals after he supposedly got well (or better) after one game against Filthadelphia. I continue to find the soltuion for goaltending, defense, more depth at center, and a powerplay who does not have such high risk on the point (see Kovalchuk) to be top concerns for next year.

The Devils got farther than I thought and I thought I might eat my words until game one of the finals. Nothing has changed and despite what the overwelming majority of Devils fans on this board think, there are many outside of it who agree that Kovalchuk is a "bust". Many players have helped teams to the finals, but if they do not win... well, did they really help? Does anyone remember who helped the Flyers to the SCF in the late 90's? How about who helped Detroit in '95? What about Dallas in 2000? Probably not... because if you do not win it does not matter.

Flyers: Lidros, Leclair, Renberg, Desjardins, Brindamour. Detroit: Federov, Vernon, Yzerman, Kozlov, Coffey. Dallas: Langenbrunner, Modano, Hull, Hatcher, Belfour.

f_1303adf72d7a.jpg

Nah, just the most negative spoiled brat on the board continuing to be the most negative spoiled brat and ruining a nice fun thread. Not even going to waste my time with a counter argument.

Phew, I held my breath. Don't worry the team I wanted to win won!

without kovalchuk we were not in the finals... believe it or not he was our best scorer even badly injured... redaing your comment make me sick... It like we dont need him if we dont win... SCF or first round exit...

Kovalchuk is our game breaker and lou recognize that you need those guy to go far in the playoff

I said I wouldn't call out anyone, but since C17 decided to be a dick and try and ruin a fun thread...well wtf. My thread and I changed my mind. But only to him because he is part of the reason I started this thread, and he said we could before the season started if he was wrong. Some people have an opinion, and it's fine. You don't like a contract...cool. You think Marty is finished...fine. You didn't think Pete was the right choice...okay. But if you had a hard stance and were proven wrong...just fess up. Many did, but unfortunately there are posters like Chorske on this board. Now difference of opinion is fine, but he is just a straight up hater who had bold opinions all year, and spewed a lot of crap any chance he got. That happens more than it is needed. But after a great season many of those posters don't show up. At least Chorske did, but to still call out Kovalchuk on his heart and determination and the success of the team..and then to say if the Devils don't win, did anyone really help....well that's just so much fvcking crap. What's so great about him is he asked people to call him out if he was wrong. Now he said he wouldn't be, but we could "destroy his name" if he was wrong.

Without furthur ado...this jerkoff (And this will be the last of me acknowledging him in this thread. This is just a perfect example of the ungrateful fans on these boards. Not many of them, but there are a few. And if you can't appreciate everyone's contributions, including Kovalchuk, and what this team accomplished, well you are one miserable human being).

Before the season

Here's Kovalchuk's chance to show he is worth all the money. I know he can't and shouldn't be expected to do it alone, but the guy still has not shown me anything. Kovalchuk will continue to put 30 something goals with no real scoring streak and fail to bring players to the next level with him.

This season will really show the lack of toughness on this team. Aside from Clarkson, who is going to play 12+ minutes that is a tough player who won't back down from a challenge? Too much flash and dash. All teams have to do is continue to pound away at the likes of Tedenby, Josefson, Parise, Elias, Greene, Taromina, and Henrique (if he plays). Zubrus has the size, but is very inconcsistent in using it. Clarkson can't play on every line... and Boulton isn't going to get much more than 4th line minutes. Very disappointing.

My prediction is the Devils will be nudging the Oilers and the Islanders over to make room at the bottom, make an attempt in February or March and not really get to where they need to be. If you thought last year was crap, wait until this year...

I guess we'll have to wait until the season starts, but mark my words I'll be right. If I'm wrong then you can destroy my name. I'll happily eat them if I am wrong. If that is the worst that happens (IF I am wrong), everybody will be happy!

After game 1:

Isn't this how LAST SEASON Started. "Oh don't worry, the Devils will turn it on and be in the playoffs..." Cue Johnny Mac being canned, cue: "So close, but no cigar", cue my prediction: Defense will suffer because of Kovalchuk. Wasn't Kovy a -3? Oh wait those stats are horrible and not a TRUE representation of how a player played. How many times did Kovalchuk just hop over the boards to accidentally be on the ice for a goal. I bet it ryhmes with "HERO"... How many times did Kovy 1/2 arse it back to get the puck or try to hook someone from teh point. Give it time and you'll see!

I predict one or the other is gone from the team by August of next year: Parise or Brodeur. NOT both, but one. We'll see though. My Magic Eight Ball keeps telling me to 'come back later.'

After a 3 point night with the GWG:

Kovalchuk had an OKAY game... Still scares me especially when he went in front of Hedberg and almost turned it over in the slot. :unsure:

Maybe my favourite:

Someday someone is going to say, "hey Chorske you were right about Kovalchuk and we, well... we were wrong."

Kovalchuk is a big problem with coughing up the puck at crap times, it skips over his stick, he trips over Parise's skates, he half-arses it out there. This guy should never have been put on a line with Parise nor should he have ever been paid what he wanted. So stupid, but here we are watching him not make a single person better around him and have a crap season. Sure he might turn it on, but I wouldn't bank on it. I can hardly wait for the ney sayers to say, "he almost single-handledly put the Devils into the post season." ALMOST doesn't count. The Devils almsot won the cup in 2001. No one remembers that key point unless reminded of it.

I still get a kick out of someone on a previous thread who said something to the extent that "I see that Jamie Langenbrunner was NOT the problem." To whomever said that, I'll gladly buy you a beer. Lags wasn't the problem, Rolston might have been overpaid, but he was not the problem. While it isn't one thing, there are some players still on the team who are.

ON a positive note, I hope John MacLean proves people wrong with Captain Kirk in Carolina. Him being fired for poor preformances from players was crap despite what Lemaire did. Let's face it Lemaire is a great coach, but once you hit rock bottom like the Devils did, there is only one place left to go and that is UP. I'm not sure if the Devils can do much else with what they have. I like the optimism that surrounds the return of Zajac, but I don't think he is going to be the Super-Bandaid to fix this problem. Afterall, he can't skate for 60 minutes or should I say 65 given the track record for OT/shootouts.

I'd rather trade Parise for Rick Nash. Personally, I'd rather trade Kovalchuk for Nash so we can keep Parise, but that is NO secret! Rick Nash has what the Devils are missing up front. It won't happen, but a fun "What if"... Then the Devils could concentrate on a VERY GOOD D-man and hopefully/more importantly go after a solid goalie. I can't wait to see the fiasco next year with goal.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not Kovalchuk is the problem. Wait, before you say anything let's take a trip down memory lane.

1) Absolute disappointment so far. Sure he turned it on last year, but "almost singlehandedly getting the Devils to the post season" is still ALMOST. For the money he makes... We should've been there. Hey, he got the coin what has he really done?

2) His money has and will effect the team for years to come. Who are Devils going to get with all that money tied up with this guy? I think by the reactions of Parise and Brodeur, they're both DONE with this team and organization. I guess we'll see, but who and what are the Devils going to be able to get? IF they resign Parise, what else can they afford? So many issues are in need of addressing (RW, C, D, Goal)... I guess LW is okay... but there are a LOT of needs so what can you get for the money left.

3) Probably the only thing that isn't Kovalchuk's fault...I don't see a TEAM out there. I see individuals with the same j3ersey on in general. Sure some guys 'click', but not consistently. If you don't agree with me on anything else, you should at least see this. Not one solid game. Too many revolving 4th liners who don't get into the flow because they don't see ice time to contribute, and are thrown in for a few games here and there.

As per anyone coming to the Devils games... I think whoever plants their arse in a seat is welcome at a game. Regardless of the team they support, they are PAYING the Devils to watch a game. The money they spend goes to the Devils and given the state of the organization, I think every single person who pays counts. Would I want to see a bunch of Pens or Rags fans there, not really, but if helps the team... who am I to argue. At least it isn't a ghost town like Atlanta was last season even after they had section with all you could eat food!

Tell me my eyes fooled me. Did Scott Niedermayer skip over Kovalchuk when he was leaving after the ceremony and then Kovalchuk grabbed him or said something so that Scott would shake his hand? Oh, priceless. I watched that four times and my wife thought it was great too. He Ilya... psst... Scott doesn't care for you and he never played with you!

2. His contract has severly handicapped this team which is equally the fault of him (for asking for it) and the team for giving it to him. This TEAM used to be about let's build the best team in the league through hard-work and solid defensive mindset. I've NEVER seen a team in hockey history who doesn't have a strong defense commitment win a championship.

Do I chuckle when Kovalchuk turns over the puck and the Devils give up a goal. Absolutely. There is nothing left to do. I'm not here to say I know it all, but with this guy I have been spot on. I find the Devils almost difficult to watch and cheer for because of the direction they have gone in. I'm not saying change is wrong, but this change appears to be on a downward spiral.

Do I chuckle when Kovalchuk turns over the puck and the Devils give up a goal. Absolutely. There is nothing left to do. I'm not here to say I know it all, but with this guy I have been spot on. I find the Devils almost difficult to watch and cheer for because of the direction they have gone in. I'm not saying change is wrong, but this change appears to be on a downward spiral.

The Devils used to be okay in one goal games, when they used to have a solid team defense-first and heart. Instead I see "coasters" out there who don't hustle back. Kovalchuk (whom I do enjoy knocking down a peg or ten) isn't the only one, but you do notice his turn-overs. I counted six alone in the first and second periods.

The team needs to score in general though. No one clown is at fault, but they looked disinterested.

I think Brodeur and Parise have already decided their fate for next season. They are riding whatever the Devils have this year and either jumping ship to another team that will pay or they are done. I'm sure you can figure who is going to do what. I would LOVE to see Brodeur in Montreal for one season to rekindle that passion of playing in his hometown and what happens. Would he be loved, booed, or both when the going got tough. Maybe the Devils could snag a back-up goalie out of it because I don't see his value as much more than that anymore. How fast they fall.

If there was ever a match-up that said "SWEEP" before it started it was the Panthers vs the Devils. Even a 4-1 win or worst case scenario 4-2 Devils win would have been something concievable, but yet here we are in game seven. Despite the win in game six, this Devils team has not shown the heart to want to win. The Devils looked like they expected to win versus "wanted" to win the majority of the games versus the Panthers and even if they advance to the 2nd round, I fail to see the heart of a team that can win past the 1st round. There is no blame on one player, but the team itself. I just don't see the desire.

Edited by devilsrule33

How stupid.

Ok, I can't let this go and I usually do. Unfathomable that you are criticizing the team less than a week from making it to Game 6 of the friggin SCF. I hope you never have kids. You''ll probably punish them for getting a 99 on their test.

Edited by NCDevsFan

Nah, just the most negative spoiled brat on the board continuing to be the most negative spoiled brat and ruining a nice fun thread. Not even going to waste my time with a counter argument.

C17, for the love of God, stick to jersey talk only. Clown.

I thought we would get destroyed by the Flyers.

I was so pleased to be wrong.

Thought the Devils were losing in five to the Flyers.

Then thought they were losing in six to the Rangers.

Thought the Devils were losing in five to the Flyers.

Then thought they were losing in six to the Rangers.

Once we got past the flyers i was more optimistic about the rangers. But not much.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Is there anyone else that thinks we're taking Salvador's playoffs a little too far? Sure he gave amazing production offensively, but at the end of the day he didn't have a stellar regular season and it's not like he played shutdown defense which is really the only reason to keep him around. Personally I'm happy letting Zid and Larsson take care of the offensive duties as they are the true Offense Defensemen and letting Salvador walk. It will be hard to say good bye but in the end that's life and it will hurt more to over-pay Sal then to watch him leave.

Like Tom Chorske? I'm sure we all remember his playoff heroics in 1995.

Kovalchuk finished second in playoff points and assists, and tied for first with goals. He did that with a severely injured back. I don't know if you've ever had a back injury, but one thing that helps you get through something like that and play at a high level is "desire (see HEART)".

Clown-Shoes.jpg

And to devilsrule33, :clap2::cheers:

Like Tom Chorske? I'm sure we all remember his playoff heroics in 1995.

Kovalchuk finished second in playoff points and assists, and tied for first with goals. He did that with a severely injured back. I don't know if you've ever had a back injury, but one thing that helps you get through something like that and play at a high level is "desire (see HEART)".

And to devilsrule33, :clap2::cheers:

Tom Chorske...fleet feet and hands of stone. Never saw someone get so many breakaways...and have no idea what to do once he got to the goalie...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976