Devils acquire Loktionov

jagknife

The difference is that we share a common language and history for the past 300 years. The countries that made up the USSR varied in language as drastically as going from Portuguese to Italian (some of them go even further and aren't even from the Slavic language group). Their histories and cultures vary tremendously. The union itself only lasted about 60 years and some of those countries only spent a portion of that time as part of it.

It gets complicated when you consider that a lot of ethnic Russians relocated to the republics all over the USSR and stayed there after the collapse.  So you have people that will be Uzbeki on their passports, but are ethnically Russian in that they have Slavic names and speak Russian.  Stalin was Georgian, but he's more revered in Russia than he is in Georgia it appears.

Tri brought up the example of Yakupov.  He speaks Russian and has a slavic last name.  I wonder if his parents/grandparents were originally from Russia, proper.  BTW, I have no idea if that's the case.

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies.They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

This kid has played extremely well since coming over.  He has to be relieved just to be getting a chance to play in the NHL and show what he can do.  So far, it looks like a unbelievable trade for the Devils, and he really has softened the blow of Tedenby and Josefson struggling to be what the team thought they would be at this point.

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies. They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

vanderbeek.jpg

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies.They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

Bah, well done DevsMan. You beat me to the punch lol. Edited by MadDog2020

I know, it's pretty bad. It's not that hard to get either

a million times on here people spell Zajac's name "Zajak" and spelt Parise's name Zack and other little mistakes and nobody (rightly) says a thing but what former Soviet republic Poni's from is what makes everyone all high and mighty and calling people embarrassingly ignorant? (for the record I knew, but I don't think others who didn't should be crucified for thinking they were Russian)

Oh and btw many people in the former Soviet republics still celebrate Russian traditions so  they may be more culturally similar than it would appear

Americans here don't really know how many of those people would react to saying they were Russian when they were born in the country we referred to as Russia. There are a lot of ignorant things out there in the world like saying people who don't eat meat medium rare can't be cultured and there are dumb people who keep online dating profiles while dating somebody (I know I'm kinda rambling here), but I just don't think we're in a position to know how they'd feel. They might have migrated like Daniel said or keep the traditions who knows

Edited by DH26

a million times on here people spell Zajac's name "Zajak" and spelt Parise's name Zack and other little mistakes and nobody (rightly) says a thing but what former Soviet republic Poni's from is what makes everyone all high and mighty and calling people embarrassingly ignorant? (for the record I knew, but I don't think others who didn't should be crucified for thinking they were Russian)

Oh and btw many people in the former Soviet republics still celebrate Russian traditions so  they may be more culturally similar than it would appear

Americans here don't really know how many of those people would react to saying they were Russian when they were born in the country we referred to as Russia. There are a lot of ignorant things out there in the world like saying people who don't eat meat medium rare can't be cultured and there are dumb people who keep online dating profiles while dating somebody (I know I'm kinda rambling here), but I just don't think we're in a position to know how they'd feel. They might have migrated like Daniel said or keep the traditions who knows

I correct all those people too when I see it.

But if one can't tell the difference between the former Soviet bloc countries, that's just a lack of general geography knowledge. I've never called the Soviet Union or USSR, Russia, because it wasn't.

Ok guys... In olympic hockey finals playing USA and Canada... Nobody cares witch team will win.. they all Americans. Also there's no difference between Canada,USA and Mexico.. they're all the same - Americans.. Do you agree??? Of course NOT, so stop talking BS about ussr, because it was only a 50 years old (RIP) "country", witch was made from many absolutely different countries and cultures. Let's say, Kazakhstan and Lithuania was all ussr for 50 years, but we are completely different, they are Asiatic, we are Baltic and so on, and so on. USSR was just a temporary politic unit, when it collapsed, all those countries got back their identity and pre ussr history. Now there is a European union, but for some reason you don't call a player from Germany a french, or englishman a swede.. Of course, you can call all of them - Europians, but when t comes to nations, please don't be so stupid calling all them the same. There's a HUGE difference between Russian and Lithuanian, Latvian and Ukrainian etc. If you don't understand that, I can't see the difference between Mexican and Canadian, or a person from USA.. I hope you understand what I mean and sorry for a non hockey post

It wasn't what you were saying but your attitude when you replied, imo.  I found it to be condescending and arrogant.  So instead of trying to explain or teach something you were rather brusk and ended with  if we don't understand then it is our problem.  Do you understand what I mean?

DH:  People still spell it Kinkaid too, drives me up a wall.  I realize a lot of people jumped down your throat, but I think the right tack here is 'I made a mistake, won't do it again'.  If you read Soviet history you could see why it might be a very sensitive subject for some.  And even Kovalchuk has commented that Zubrus and Ponikarovsky aren't Russian in a light-hearted fashion.

DH:  People still spell it Kinkaid too, drives me up a wall.  I realize a lot of people jumped down your throat, but I think the right tack here is 'I made a mistake, won't do it again'.  If you read Soviet history you could see why it might be a very sensitive subject for some.  And even Kovalchuk has commented that Zubrus and Ponikarovsky aren't Russian in a light-hearted fashion.

yeah you're right I wrote without thinking. Part of my family comes from there and she's told me about it but I'll just not try to upset people and not mention it 

Not to change the subject of this too much.. but I find myself watching with alot of intrest the dynamic between Kovy and Lokti. There is clearly a hierarchy involved (for obvious reasons,age,time with the team and notoriety) but with that in mind I think there could be a little rivalry or competition (healthy) starting, that I think could spark the team. Has anyone been on teams that have had teamates fueling each other? maybe just wishful thinking?