Lou speaks with Hedberg, Looks to keep Zidlicky

Legion15

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_johan_hedberg_meets_with_gm_lou_lamoriello.html

Classy as always, Hedberg chose not to give interviews as he dealt with the turn of events. But he did meet with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, who brought up the strong possibility of a compliance buyout of the remaining one year ($1.4 million) on his contract.

“The prospects—(Jon) Merrill, (Alex) Urbom, (Eric) Gelinas—are pretty good prospects.”

Lamoriello indicated that he hopes to keep potential unrestricted free agent Marek Zidlicky.

“He’s still in the plans,” he said.

very curious to see exactly what happens with moose now.. highly doubt any other team would want him at this point.. wont be to upset if zid isnt back i like what he brings as an offensive defensemen but would rather have clarky if it was between them

very curious to see exactly what happens with moose now.. highly doubt any other team would want him at this point.. wont be to upset if zid isnt back i like what he brings as an offensive defensemen but would rather have clarky if it was between them

If you listen to XM hockey channel, he's already a leaf. They'd rather get Clarkie than Bozak? They got their priorities for sure!

If you listen to XM hockey channel, he's already a leaf. They'd rather get Clarkie than Bozak? They got their priorities for sure!

i thought that players and teams couldnt even begin speaking until wednesday.. clarkson doesnt even know what they are going to be willing to give him

Moose should really just call it quits.  The guy had a pretty good career for a former 9th-round pick.  He has nothing to be ashamed of.  But that's easy for me to say. 

Moose should really just call it quits.  The guy had a pretty good career for a former 9th-round pick.  He has nothing to be ashamed of.  But that's easy for me to say. 

yeah i could see him wanting to play at least another season just to take a chance to leave with his head high. Last season was a disaster... so if he plays another season he'll have a chance at least to play better and retire then. If he sucks well at least he'll leave the same way he would have this year lol

Here is the big question -  how is this team going to improve on last year.....

1. upgrade from Hedberg to Schneider -  this should help tremendously

2. Defense - enough with the 8 man rotation.  I am ok with slotting Harrold as a 7th dman.  I do not like our dmen feeling like they are one mistake away from riding the bench for 10 games or so.  This was the case with Larsson and Fayne at times.  Lets figure out a way to move or buy out Tallinder and Volchenkov, potentially keep Zidlicky and then have a  battle for the 6th Dman slot between Merill and Urbom.

3. Offense - so not only do we still need to address the scoring lost from Parise, but now Clarkson too.  I don't know what the solution is but it feels like we are going to sign a few 3rd liners and try to make them fit into the role of 2nd liners.  In addition - that PP needs some work and i feel like we can barely put together a PP1. 

2. Defense - enough with the 8 man rotation.  I am ok with slotting Harrold as a 7th dman.  I do not like our dmen feeling like they are one mistake away from riding the bench for 10 games or so.  This was the case with Larsson and Fayne at times.  Lets figure out a way to move or buy out Tallinder and Volchenkov, potentially keep Zidlicky and then have a  battle for the 6th Dman slot between Merill and Urbom.

3. Offense - so not only do we still need to address the scoring lost from Parise, but now Clarkson too.  I don't know what the solution is but it feels like we are going to sign a few 3rd liners and try to make them fit into the role of 2nd liners.  In addition - that PP needs some work and i feel like we can barely put together a PP1. 

In fairness, I think we've got to give Lou some time on this.  He pulled a major rabbit out of his hat with Schneider, one NO ONE saw coming.  He may have another one or two we know nothing about.

Upgrade from Brodeur to Schneider would be better.

• Like 1

You know that won't be true unless his name is Marty. BRODEUR

Like the year you promised not to talk negative about Marty and the processed to rag on Scott Stevens for the year. You will have a whipping boy seconds after Marty retires.

• Like 1

Like the year you promised not to talk negative about Marty and the processed to rag on Scott Stevens for the year. You will have a whipping boy seconds after Marty retires.

Was Scott Stevens a goalie? I thought he was a defensemen. These are professional NHL hockey players we are talking about. Some of you Devils fans think they are GODS that should be worshipped. When I was speaking about Stevens he had slowed down the opponents were skating around him, unfortunately he got a concussion and reviewed the tapes and retired. Congrats to Stevens for recognizing his time as a professional NHL defensemen was over, I respected that move.