A Story About Pro Athletes' Wives...

KitKatTGM

Sorry I don't have the link; I found this on another message board...

Wives of Professional Players Know How To Cope

By Ray Buck

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Wives of professional athletes, for the most part, are independent women who don't easily tolerate abusive fans or fret over groupies on the road.

As a rule, when their husbands don't leave home without it ... they're talking about cellphones.

Tales from the domestic front were told to the Star-Telegram in a sampling of Mavericks, Cowboys and Stars wives, all presently in-season, leaving us to determine that players' wives are more inclined to have a retort for an obnoxious fan than a worry about their husbands on the road.

"I'm kind of loud-mouthed anyway," said Joie LaFrentz, wife of Mavs forward-center Raef. "I understand fans have just as much a right as I do to say anything they want ... but I'll let them know if they cross the line."

On the topic of possible groupies in the hotel lobby, Joie LaFrentz -- married only 16 months -- quickly replied, "That's never really crossed my mind."

Elizabeth Turgeon, wife of Stars center Pierre and a mother of four children, ages 4-10, said: "I'm sure groupies are out there, but I don't really think about it. With Pierre, I think a lot of people know about the four kids. Maybe he's not as interesting [to groupies]; I don't know."

Audrey Griffin, married six years to third-year NBA veteran Adrian with the Mavs, has adopted a bond of faith that she and her husband share. The Griffins have three children, the oldest 5.

"Adrian and I have a relationship with the Lord. We know he is watching over stuff like [NBA groupies], so it's not even a concern of mine," Audrey said. "But, now, if someone yells at Adrian or someone else on the team, I'll be the first to mention, 'Calm down. This player has family around. Don't be rude.' "

These are typical responses by stand-up women who pay bills, manage pets, raise kids, schedule home maintenance, play chauffeur, and are only a speed-dial call away from making personal contact with their frequently flattered and idolized husbands.

Without a doubt, the cellphone is the greatest invention known to players' wives.

"I never call the hotel number anymore," said Anne Marie Morrow, wife of Stars left wing Brenden.

Pro athletes' wives know that pro athletes on the road should have cellphones with them, and turned on, unless they're in a meeting, on the field, on the court or on the ice.

Kelly Turco, third-year wife of Stars goalie Marty and the mother of a 9-month-old daughter, doesn't spend much time worrying about groupies. But she does appreciate that Stars management provides an annual discussion of potential pitfalls on the road in front of the entire team.

"The guys are drilled to watch out for stuff like girls slipping them something in their drinks in bars," Kelly Turco said. "It's a little reminder that there are girls out there who will try to take advantage. And [knowing it is discussed openly] does put my mind more at ease."

Kelly Turco and Anne Marie Morrow are best friends. They sit next to each other in the wives' Section 110 at American Airlines Center. Their husbands are roommates on the road. Their houses are two minutes apart. They even keep each other's "third key" in case of an emergency.

When asked if NHL groupies are a concern, Anne Marie Morrow, a hockey wife of four months, said with a laugh, "No, we've seen the groupies."

The Stars and Mavs typically are gone several days at a time. The Stars have a marathon trip coming up in December that includes seven stops in 13 days. The Mavs have an eight-day, four-city trip to the West Coast in January.

Kristina Eschmeyer, who was married in July to Mavs center Evan, is the former Kristina Divjak, an All-Big Ten basketball player at Northwestern.

"So I'm very familiar with the lifestyle of the athlete ... and the road trips," said Kristina, whose career was cut short by two surgeries on her left knee. "I understand when Evan is tired, and why he's tired."

The Cowboys, by comparison, have the easiest travel schedule of the three teams: eight regular-season road games, each requiring a one-night sleepover. All teams charter flights.

This is when Mary Kate Noble, wife of Cowboys defensive tackle Brandon, becomes sole caretaker of 14-month-old Connor and the couple's two very large English bulldogs, Chief and Bubba.

Three weeks ago, Chief's foot began bleeding after he tore a pad at the Noble's Valley Ranch apartment.

Brandon already had left with the team and checked into the posh Hilton Phoenix East. Mary Kate was left to try to save the carpet and clean Chief's wound as best she could with paper towels. She wasn't alone. Bubba and Connor were right there ... trying to help, of course.

"Something bad happens every time Brandon goes away," Mary Kate said, "and it's usually to one of the dogs."

None of the wives interviewed complained about excessive criticism from media or fans or privacy invasions when they're at dinner with their husbands.

"Brandon is very unassuming," Mary Kate Noble said. "He wears clothes from Old Navy. His shirt usually has holes in it. So people think, 'Is that Brandon Noble? Naw. Brandon Noble makes enough money to dress better than that.' "

Most women who marry into the lifestyle of pro athlete's wife quickly learn.

"Have your own life," Mary Kate Noble said.

"Be somewhat independent," Joie LaFrentz said.

"It's not all glamorous," Elizabeth Turgeon said.

"Be flexible and independent," Anne Marie Morrow said. "My advice would be to find a girlfriend that you can get along with really well."

And don't sweat the groupies.

When asked if NHL groupies are a concern, Anne Marie Morrow, a hockey wife of four months, said with a laugh, "No, we've seen the groupies."

Zam said with a laugh, don't kid yourself, newlywed Anne Marie. These women being confident and trustworthy is great but let's not be dumb, either.

People are people. MAYBE being high profile ups your opportunities -- but it ups your opportunity to be caught. And probably septuples your chances at being publically humiliated! I mean even a quick clean Rub&Tug is big news if it's a celeb buyin' and yeah guys we do all hear about it -- your wives may not but we do...and I really wish you all would keep it in your pants even! :rolleyes: yuck...

It's the husbands who should be keeping their eyes and ears open if you ask me! Now there's a cool article that needs writing :lol:

I mean...really... :unsure: shades of Slapshot here?

"Be flexible and independent," Anne Marie Morrow said. "My advice would be to find a girlfriend that you can get along with really well."

Zam said with a laugh, don't kid yourself, newlywed Anne Marie. These women being confident and trustworthy is great but let's not be dumb, either.

Anne Marie is still practically a baby, I don't know if she's leggally old enough to drink yet, lol. Oh well I might just be bitter because my sister has connections to date Modano but she won't. She had the biggest crush on him for years too. Now she's engaged to this one guy, not like I want her to marry mo but it would be cool to go on at least a date with him!

Players don't realize how lucky they are. They can get anyone and they usually wind up with someone gorgeous. Take Seattle Mariners pitcher Joel Pineiro. Fox keeps showing his wife today (she's hot) and their cute baby. The horny cameraman probably doesn't have anything better to do. I just wonder if word got back to Pineiro: "Hey. Did you know Fox showed your wife 15 times today?" How would he feel :o ?

Tommy Salo said something about that a few years ago.. they asked

him why he was marrying some leggy-blonde supermodel type and

all he said back was:

Because I can !!

Good answer !!

Take Seattle Mariners pitcher Joel Pineiro. Fox keeps showing his wife today (she's hot) and their cute baby. The horny cameraman probably doesn't have anything better to do. I just wonder if word got back to Pineiro: "Hey. Did you know Fox showed your wife 15 times today?" How would he feel :o ?

Yesterday was Moyer's wifes turn. She's pretty hot too! :D

Players don't realize how lucky they are. They can get anyone and they usually wind up with someone gorgeous.

because that's what it's all about Derek... what are you 15?

I once dated I guess for want of a better term a trophy guy (FYI -Logan on Dark Angel :rolleyes: PK shamelessly namedropping and just doesn't care anymore)- it was the worst. He wasn't even stupid, he tried very hard not to be superficial, ended up being kind of dopily pretentious. You know, and I didn't even want to date him but all my friends said I had to because it was so coool! I would have rather dated his bestfriend at the time this sort of dorky executivey wannabe writer - and OF COURSE there was no way I'd hook up with him after dating his bud. Honest I learned something very important - dont settle for what wants you. Only be with who you want. Most of these guys stay married thought right? So it must be more than a mutual use society. Only a wife of many years can guide a guy through retirement - hopefully! :unsure:

;)

Most of these guys stay married thought right?  So it must be more than a mutual use society.

The "benefits" reap for both, I would say....

Only a wife of many years can guide a guy through retirement - hopefully!  :unsure:  

;)

For your sake PK I hope Donna stinks at it!

PK, if they have a beautiful wife they can come home to, then why take the risk of getting themselves in trouble?

Ask Kobe if it was "really worth it" now. I think you'll find your answer. These guys are just a bunch of idiots. Filthy, disgusting ones too.

PK, if they have a beautiful wife they can come home to, then why take the risk of getting themselves in trouble?

Thrill of the chase? Genetic flaw? Plus you have to remember, people are still people--that beautiful woman might be a nag or a bitch.

Reminds me of a pic my friend had of a good looking woman in a bikini; in small letters under her pic it said, "Somewhere, some guy is sick of her sh!t."

Ask Kobe if it was "really worth it" now. I think you'll find your answer. These guys are just a bunch of idiots. Filthy, disgusting ones too.

If they can get away with it, Derek, they will.

Edited by Zamode

If they look like Joel Pineiro's wife or like Winona, why have variety ;) ?

Because when you have choices such as they do, their supermodel wives probably look ordinary at some point.

To us, we might think... oh man, she's out of my league, I would never leave her if I had the chance to be with her. They on the other hand probably feel they can get someone just as good or better whenever they want.

Oh and like Zam says...Because they can. :D

If they look like Joel Pineiro's wife or like Winona, why have variety ;) ?

Because when you have choices such as they do, their supermodel wives probably look ordinary at some point.

To us, we might think... oh man, she's out of my league, I would never leave her if I had the chance to be with her. They on the other hand probably feel they can get someone just as good or better whenever they want.

Oh and like Zam says...Because they can. :D

DING DING DING You get the gold star Sammy!!!!!!!!!

It's about the pursuit, "notches on their bedposts", conquests, just to say they did, to gain acceptability with their peers, competition.

Looks only get you part of the way, if there is nothing behind the looks, then you're history. Athletes have women throwing themselves at them left and right. It doesn't matter what the wife looks like anymore, because they're just "a wife" now, not the drop dead gorgeous supermodel they dated for a while.

Why? For the same reason they spend hundreds of millions of dollars and all of a sudden wind up being bankrupt. For the same reason they don't wear seatbelts in cars and drive 100 miles an hour. For the same reason that they are prima donnas. Because they feel like they're above the rest of the world. They feel invincible, like nothing bad can ever happen to them. They've been made to feel so important from being sports stars that they feel entitled to not only have their cake (a wife) but eat it too (girlfriends). Yeah they are idiots but that's just the way it is.

And let's face it just plain ol' hormones get in the way - a lot of times one woman, no matter how gorgeous and/or terrific a person, just isn't enough for people; not just athletes obviously, but athletes by virtue of their job (on the road so much) are even more likely to do something like that :rolleyes:

Thats sort of my point too though. Why risk losing anyone you love -- regardless of looks? See what you imply Derek is the love from an inferior looking person is of less value than a Pam Anderson type. Oh man I can see the circular arguement about no you poke Pam's and keep the caretaker and what fall in love with the lovable old whore or something? It's dumb -- you picked ONE person DEAL WITH IT!

You know then there is always this sort of stupid age old scenario -- the artist (be it athlete, businessman or actual artist) is so engrossed in his craft that he doesn't devote enough time to a spouse -- Like Sunday in the Park With George (musical I don't expect you all to know) or Michael Jordon's whole trip. The artist thinks they have one understanding and the mate thinks they have a totally different one. And yet I imagine Jordan having a smart playful mistress as well - I dont know -- if you CAN have it all I guess what the heck -- I have no idea --- whatever but I think I'm too cowardly!