Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Nice bounce back win

Still trying to figure out Ike's idiotic bunt attempt considering he already tried it earlier in the AB. Pretty much everyone was ready for it.

Bring on expanded replay. Young had a legitimate beef, he was clearly safe at 2nd and the ump had a good angle...maybe he's one of those "well the ball beat you so you're out even if you're safe" umps.

I don't think he's a waste of time; are we forgetting the team is out of the playoff race and in a rebuild? What do they have to lose toying around with a former top pitching prospect that still has a good arm and is quite young? It's easy to forget he's just 23. I have almost zero expectations with him as a starter, but it doesn't hurt to get a look at him in some role, even if it's the bullpen after the spot start.

One thing to keep in mind is that if he spends 20 non-rehab days in the minors this year, he burns his final option and thus would need to make the team next spring in order to avoid being put on waivers. Keeping him up, or at least out of the minors for 20 days, would preserve that final option another year and allow the team to freely send him down next season, if need be.

I didn't say he WAS a waste of time...I said he SEEMS like a waste of time...I'm sure there were Blue Jay fans who saw Al Leiter pitch 49 major-league innings from 1989-92, saw him put up a very meh 1994 after a decent 1993 and thought "Why are we still bothering with this guy?"  I mentioned Leiter specifically, for a reason.  No, "we" haven't forgotten one bit where the Mets are...if I had, I would want them to keep Byrd.  It's nice that the Mets are 19-12 in their last 31 GP, but it's extremely doubtful that they'll continue to play .613 ball the rest of the season, and even if they did, that would give them 84 wins for the season.  It would make for a great feel-good story (especially after being 25-40), but 84 wins wouldn't get them into the playoffs.  I understand completely why the Mets are bringing Mejia up, and I agree fully with 4978 in that he could up his value if he pitches well enough and looks like he can actually stay healthy.  If I'm the Mets, I probably bring him up too, but I'm not going to be one bit surprised if he goes on the DL within a month or two with a sore elbow, bad shoulder, etc.   

I know Mejia is 23 years old, but it's like I said, the guy seems like he's going to be an injury-plagued flameout.  I REALLY hope he pitches well enough (or remains healthy enough) to draw interest from another team.  I think the Mets are crazy if he's anything more than a minor piece their long-term plans. 

Hell of a run for Carlos Torres...and the sad part of it is there's a part of me that wonders what's behind it.  Not saying he's done anything wrong, but it sucks that a fan can't help but see someone have some out-of-nowhere success (even a small sample) and almost immediately think to himself "hmmmmmmmmm..."  

Not saying he's done anything wrong, but it sucks that a fan can't help but see someone have some out-of-nowhere success (even a small sample) and almost immediately think to himself "hmmmmmmmmm..."  

Not sure what you're hinting at here but you can tell Torres is purely a deception guy; funky delivery and hides the ball well, throws tons of cutters, fastball velocity is average. He's actually missing quite a lot of bats right now (10.3% swinging strike rate), which is a great sign even in a small sample. The biggest shift from his career numbers is the walk rate. We're still only talking about 28 innings here but he's at least mildly intriguing; I would keep running him out there every 5th day; why not? If everything collapses you can put him back in the bullpen where he looked even better. The Mets control him for awhile too so he could turn out to be a decent 'find' in a bullpen that needs more dirt-cheap quality relievers.

Edited by nmigliore

I was referring to steroids, HGH, whatever...was saying that it kinda sucks for honest ballplayers, in that today's game, when a guy who has not much major league success finally has some out of nowhere, even if it's only 28 innings or one hot month, there's a moment where you wonder if the guy who's enjoying his sudden improvement didn't do something illegal to get there...even if the thought crosses your mind for only a second.  I can understand why the non-juicing players get pissed off because of the "possibly guilty, just because" viewpoint.

For the record, I don't think Torres is up to anything.

And yeah, give him the rest of the year in the majors, no matter what the role.  He looks like he could be a cost-effective diamond-in-the-rough.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Man, baseball is so dead to me... I don't even know how it happened. I don't think it's just because the Mets haven't been good, I haven't been following baseball at all. I remember the first time I joined here I made the original Mets "Playoff Push" thread in the locker room. 

Still read this thread daily and miss talking with you guys but for the life of me I can't figure out why I just cannot sit through a baseball game anymore. Maybe just getting older and not having the time for it.

Man, baseball is so dead to me... I don't even know how it happened. I don't think it's just because the Mets haven't been good, I haven't been following baseball at all. I remember the first time I joined here I made the original Mets "Playoff Push" thread in the locker room. 

Still read this thread daily and miss talking with you guys but for the life of me I can't figure out why I just cannot sit through a baseball game anymore. Maybe just getting older and not having the time for it.

The Mets have often been a mockery both on AND off the field in recent seasons.  They've done just about EVERYTHING to alienate most of their fanbase.  The Wilpons are admittedly VERY hard to take on just about every level...I can barely stomach the sight of them, especially Jeffy, who happened to have the right sperm and egg donor...what qualifies him to be a COO of a major-league franchise, I have NO idea.  I think the Wilpons are a couple of amateur buffoons who will only find success when it comes in spite of them. 

All of this being said, there are reasons to be getting excited again.  For one, this season hasn't derailed, though it easily could have.  They've gone 27-23 in their last 50...that's a nice run for a team that looked to be dead to the tune of a 65-win type season, the way they were playing.  They do play hard, even if they don't always play well.  There are pieces coming through the minor league system that will be making contributions in the near future.

There's reasons to be excited/hopeful, provided Sandy has a productive offseason (he needs to...Met fans have been patient enough).  This team has a shot at WC contention next season, if all goes well.  The suckage rut should be coming to an end soon.

Tim Hudson just got spiked covering 1B. It was really ugly, very tough to even stomach on replay. Looks like they are going to take him off on a stretcher. He can't even move his ankle.

If you missed it, here's a blown up GIF of it (WARNING: it's pretty graphic): http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/HUDSON-ANKLE.gif

Edited by nmigliore

Things have really turned on Hefner. ERA now sits above 4 and his FIP is 4.53. Not good.

I feel bad for him, but from a strict forensic standpoint, even if he falls apart from here on out, he gave the Mets waaaaaaay more than anyone could have possibly hoped for.  He was supposed to be a cheap stopgap and little more than a warm body...not only did he make it into late July, as far as staying in the rotation goes, but he was actually effective for several starts.  What's sad for him is that he probably isn't going to get too many more starts to save his spot...I'm guessing two more rough ones and he'll be out of the rotation.

Tim Hudson just got spiked covering 1B. It was really ugly, very tough to even stomach on replay. Looks like they are going to take him off on a stretcher. He can't even move his ankle.

If you missed it, here's a blown up GIF of it (WARNING: it's pretty graphic): http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/HUDSON-ANKLE.gif

Right up there with Theismann, as far as the cringe factor goes.  Yikes. 

Mets are starting to hit into far too many double plays

Horrific injury....I sure hope Hudson will be able to continue his career after that. At 38 who knows. 

Murph got a long ringing 2 run double, about the only highlight of the night

Mixed-results kind of start for Syndergaard yesterday:  5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.  Those numbers don't look too bad, but he threw 96 pitches (hence only 5 IP), and one of the two runs scored on a wild pitch. 

Still, the overall numbers in AA for Syndergaard remain pretty good through his first 6 starts:  30 IP, 29 H, 8 ER, 4 HR, 8 BB, 38 K.   

He turns 21 in August.  Looks like he has a great shot to make his MLB debut at 22, either late 2014 or sometime in 2015.  Guessing AAA is either coming late this season or all or part of next. 

EY left today's game with a leg injury.  He was tailing off (2 for his last 22), but he was doing a pretty good job for a guy the Mets gave up almost nothing for.

Zack's throwing a high number of pitches as usual, but at least has a shot at getting through six decent innings, and a 4-1 record.  He's had luck on his side, but always great to see a guy start off with a nice W-L...poor Harvey went just 3-5 last season and was terrific.

Another jack by the Braves.  Argh!

Zack only needed 10 pitches to get through that inning...wonder if he gets the 7th?

i would've PH for Wheeler there. Bases loaded and a gapper gives you some breathing room, especially against a bad reliever in Loe (worst the Braves have at least) Instead he swings at ball 4 and inning over. And of course Freemen homers next inning.

At least put a take side in from the dugout at 3-2

Reminds me of John Maine. Higher upside...but right now he looks just like Maine

Edited by '7'

The Mets went to the bullpen early last night.  Don't want to keep doing that if you can help it. 

7-4.  A win today gives the Mets a 20-13 record over their last 33 GP.  I'm guessing Zack gets a shot at the 7th for sure now. 

Satin just keeps finding his way on base...his OB% is now up to .478.  Davis hasn't exactly torn it up since being recalled, but at least he's doing a better job getting on base...he's at .360 since coming back.

I still wish they'd let Satin run with the job, but it's not going to happen.  Oh well. 

John Buck is having an eye-friendly month:  47 AB, 14 H, 1 HR, 10 RBI (now up to 52 RBI on the season), 5 BB, 11 K, .298 BA, .400 OB%, .826 OB+SLG.  And those numbers don't include today's game.

Dare we hope some team out there might bite come July 31?  I'll settle for a marginal prospect. 

Terry takes Zack out.  If only he could EVER think this way with Harvey...

Reminds me of John Maine. Higher upside...but right now he looks just like Maine

I remember when some prognosticators were naming Maine as a possible Cy Young Award candidate after his 2007 breakout year.  His first two seasons as a Met were quite promising:  281 IP, 237 H, 119 ER, 108 BB, 251 K, 38 HR, 3.81 ERA. 

Then came inconsistency, injury...he was out of the majors in 2011 and 2012, and is looking as finished as a Marlin in 2013 as he did as a Met in 2010.  I had a feeling Maine would never repeat 2007 and said so at the time, but I thought he'd be a decent .500-ish pitcher for a while who could always find a job somewhere.  He disappeared pretty quickly.

Doubleheader tomorrow too, don't forget, re: letting Wheeler bat.

Buck actually has a not-awful (for catcher) 93 wRC+ right now. Very boom or bust streaks this year but it has balanced out pretty decently.

Re:  Buck, yeah, it's evened out a bit (God I hope this entices a GM to think about acquiring him), but as we've seen, his lows are as bad (and lengthy) as they get.  Those first 10 games gave such a boost to his season glamour numbers (as 19 RBI in 10 GP will). 

Re:  the DH, all the reason more to give Zack a shot at pitching the 7th inning. 

Wonder if anyone would be interested in dealing for Hawkins.  I know nothing major is coming back, but being that he'll be 41 years old next season, I can't imagine he'll be here in 2014.  And he's been pretty decent this season...only 11 ER allowed in his last 40 IP.  40 H and 9 BB for a 1.23 WHIP in those 40 IP.  He could be a nice bargain pickup for someone.

Would like to see Sandy actually get some bodies back for these kinds of guys for a change, even if the guys coming back are longshots to make much of an impact. 

I'm all for trading rentals even if they are likely to bring back next to nothing but the big one is Byrd, especially in this market where nobody wants to commit to selling and thus trade prices are high.

Edited by nmigliore

And Sandy CANNOT fvck up with Byrd.  There HAVE to be teams out there (the Yankees, for one) who can use his bat, even if this year is a one-year wonder kind of thing...besides, as far as rentals go, Byrd is perfect.  He costs damned near nothing and is on a one-year deal to boot...hell, like I've said, the Mets could even bring him back next season if they really wanted to. 

This guy has played himself into having some value...I don't think that can be disputed anymore.  The only thing he doesn't do is walk, and he strikes out a lot, but welcome to MLB 2013. 

Murph is now 22-for-his-last-66 (with just 2 walks...forever a problem with Murph).  Just wish the guy didn't have to hit .330 or so to be useful...a .712 OB+SLG for a guy who's not a defensive standout and is slow-footed to boot (amazing that he's 11-for-14 in SB attempts this season) isn't a great guy to have playing everyday for you.