Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

He is also clearly a leader on the Devils. I know you don't put much on that, but he was a big reason the Devils were in the finals this year, and I'm not talking about his point production. The chip on the shoulder the D had about being 'no-names' and how he supposedly handled himself in the locker room were big parts of that run.

Leadership is great but this guy isn't Scott Stevens.

In summation, I don't think he's great by any stretch of the imagination, I just don't care a whole lot because they are not likely to spend to the cap during the term of this contract. Also all stats are biased, as +/- is horribly biased towards defensive special teamers vs. say, a forward who plays all 2 minutes of the PP on the point, the "new" metrics are biased towards offensive minded players who may be defensive gongshows.

That implies that players have control over save percentage when they're on the ice - they might have some control over it, but certainly not very much, and much of what they do have is probably overwhelmed by luck.

Not going argue about silly stats, hockey is played on ice, not paper.

Sal's presence only helps the younger guys get better. Having the insurance that IF Sal get's hurt, we have the quality depth to replace him. This is a win-win for the team.

It's played on ice? That's what I'm talking about - things that actually happen on the ice. Not locker room stuff or leadership or anything like that. The ice, by the way, is where Bryce Salvador was utterly dominated during the Cup Finals.

in the past 2 days we have signed 3 36+ players to a combined total of 7 years. The 2nd year was supposed to be the bonus for Salvador and we were supposed to probably not do it. I guess teams were offering 3 years and Lou wanted to keep him. Who wants to be that 3.16 million is completely wasted 2014-15?

in the past 2 days we have signed 3 36+ players to a combined total of 7 years. The 2nd year was supposed to be the bonus for Salvador and we were supposed to probably not do it. I guess teams were offering 3 years and Lou wanted to keep him. Who wants to be that 3.16 million is completely wasted 2014-15?

If they ward off bankruptcy this year, they sure as fvck won't in 2014, so who cares, that's what you guys are not getting. They are not magically going to revert to a cap team, even if they go under and get a new owner.

If they ward off bankruptcy this year, they sure as fvck won't in 2014, so who cares, that's what you guys are not getting. They are not magically going to revert to a cap team, even if they go under and get a new owner.

What you are not getting is that they still have a budget and signing below-average defensemen who are 36 to contracts that an average D would sign isn't a good idea.

Bryce Salvador signed for the same amount as Johnny Oduya. Who would you rather have?

I don't mind this. Sal played good in the regular season and great in the playoffs.

I think a trade might go down too.

Anyone think Volchenkov might waive to go back to Ottawa?

Maybe Greene goes somewhere?

Maybe Tallinder back to Buffalo?

What you are not getting is that they still have a budget and signing below-average defensemen who are 36 to contracts that an average D would sign isn't a good idea.

Bryce Salvador signed for the same amount as Johnny Oduya. Who would you rather have?

Bryce Salvador.

He signed for the same amount as Andy Greene and likely (with the surgery, *very likely*) more than Mark Fayne. Obviously the answer is the same.

What you're not getting is that dead money doesn't freaking matter if you're not going to spend to the cap. Key word is *spend* to the cap.

If he ends up being dead money, who cares. He won't be next season unless he takes one off the dome again, but it is what it is. Getting tied up in who gets paid what is pointless, they have a budget, they are aware of this and even more money comes off next year.

Edited by maxpower

He signed for the same amount as Andy Greene and likely (with the surgery, *very likely*) more than Mark Fayne. Obviously the answer is the same.

What you're not getting is that dead money doesn't freaking matter if you're not going to spend to the cap. Key word is *spend* to the cap.

If he ends up being dead money, who cares. He won't be next season unless he takes one off the dome again, but it is what it is. Getting tied up in who gets paid what is pointless, they have a budget, they are aware of this and even more money comes off next year.

What you're not getting is that dead money DOES matter if you don't spend to the cap, because you are still spending to *A* cap. And even more money DOESN'T come off next year, if this year is any indication of what we're in for - Zubrus will be re-signed to a 4 year deal, Elias 5, and Brodeur will be extended 3 more years just because.

Andy Greene was 28 when he signed his deal. Bryce Salvador is *36*. 36 year old defensemen not named Stevens, Bourque, or MacInnis, typically don't play all that well.

I'd rather have a 2 year deal but 3 isn't a big deal really.

If Sal retires then he isn't paid and the dead cap hit doesn't hurt a team not spending to the cap.

If the younger guys are better than him next season then he can be traded to a team wanting a veteran presence.

What you're not getting is that dead money DOES matter if you don't spend to the cap, because you are still spending to *A* cap. And even more money DOESN'T come off next year, if this year is any indication of what we're in for - Zubrus will be re-signed to a 4 year deal, Elias 5, and Brodeur will be extended 3 more years just because.

Andy Greene was 28 when he signed his deal. Bryce Salvador is *36*. 36 year old defensemen not named Stevens, Bourque, or MacInnis, typically don't play all that well.

I am talking about dead cap space. Should he get injured or retire.

I'd rather have a 2 year deal but 3 isn't a big deal really.

If Sal retires then he isn't paid and the dead cap hit doesn't hurt a team not spending to the cap.

If the younger guys are better than him next season then he can be traded to a team wanting a veteran presence.

I think the fear is more that he will completely fail in the latter year(s) and we will not be able to trade him. Especially if he gets injured. We also may not look for an upgrade just because we have him signed and let him play mediocre hockey.

Weren't you saying a lot of similar things last time we inked Salvador?

He's certainly worth the money when healthy. If he isn't healthy, he's scratched and comes off the cap. If he declines, he doesn't have any clauses that would prevent Lou from shedding his contract.

This is a three-year deal that could easily end up being a zero-year deal for a defenseman who has already exceeded absolutely every Devils fans' expectations so far. How can anyone actually have a problem with this?

This is a three-year deal that could easily end up being a zero-year deal for a defenseman who has already exceeded absolutely every Devils fans' expectations so far. How can anyone actually have a problem with this?

I understand people having a problem with it, I don't get people having as much problem with is as they seem to. Almost all UFA contracts are bad, this is just another bad UFA contract, seems in line with the "badness" that many other UFA deals are.

What has he done to warrant this contract? Besides saying when he bleeds his blood cells are the shape of the Devils insignia? Bryce Salvador is not a good hockey player!

But you see, he does bleed Devils insignias and that $9.5M is gonna look like some real smart money when he does take that next shot off the head and we sell his body to some satanic cult/med school for $99 bagillion dollars, so now look who sounds stupid.

I don't mind this. Sal played good in the regular season and great in the playoffs.

I think a trade might go down too.

Anyone think Volchenkov might waive to go back to Ottawa?

Maybe Greene goes somewhere?

Maybe Tallinder back to Buffalo?

I don't think we make a trade.

Lou has developed a very tight and sound core of defensemen, now with the additional benefit of having successful playoff experience to grow off of. These guys know the system and it allows for Larsen to continue to grow without the pressure of killing his development by rushing him. I think we are in a perfect position on the blueline. No question marks only the potential to get even better.