All MLB 2011 Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, its crazy. If I remember correctly, he overhauled his swing mechanics in mid or late 2009, and then pretty much *poof* - he started hitting homers; in fact he hit 10 homers in the month of September of that year.... he hit 3 total homeruns the entire season before that month. And then he continued that insane power surge into 2010, and its continued into 2011. Just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Joyce would probably be the closest, ignoring RBI totals, obviously. Adrian Gonzalez is having a terrific year, and he was my pick to win AL MVP at the beginning of the year, but he isn't even in Bautista's league right now (again, unless you go by RBI totals). Nobody is, frankly, not even Joyce. Hes been that insane. The only reason his RBI totals aren't higher is because there are exactly 2 other players in that lineup with an OBP higher than .325.

I still can't get over his numbers though. He really is like early-2000 Bonds. The Jays look like geniuses giving him that extension.

Edited by nmigliore

Matt Joyce would probably be the closest, ignoring RBI totals, obviously. Adrian Gonzalez is having a terrific year, and he was my pick to win AL MVP at the beginning of the year, but he isn't even in Bautista's league right now (again, unless you go by RBI totals). Nobody is, frankly, not even Joyce. Hes been that insane. The only reason his RBI totals aren't higher is because there are exactly 2 other players in that lineup with an OBP higher than .325.

I still can't get over his numbers though. He really is like early-2000 Bonds. The Jays look like geniuses giving him that extension.

I agree, I watch my Jays every night and The guys who are batting infront of him : Escobar, Patterson and even Davis are not exactly the most consistant hitters. If we could get Aaron Hill back to what he was doing a couple years ago batting second and have Escober get on base a little more often, Bautista would be killing the RBI race. I think 14-15 of his home runs have been solo shots, and got it's frustrating.

I think the future is lookin great for the Jays, with our young pitching staff who is only going to get better, plus some promising prospects and already great players, we should be contenders in 2 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something very intersting:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

A simple form of realignment being seriously considered has been raised in the labor talks between Major League Baseball and the players' association, according to four sources: two leagues of 15 teams, rather than the current structure of 16 teams in the National League and 14 in the American League.

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

I can't imagine that they would completely do away with divisions. Travel would be horrendous with how many games baseball teams play if the schedule is balanced. Also, I can't imagine MLB letting its rivalries go (i.e. why would they cut the amount of Yankees-Red Sox or Giants-Dodgers games?).

I've never bothered to jump in the realignment debate. I don't know, I like the way it is now. I also think the current playoff system is fine, though I won't be against an additional wildcard from each league (though if its a 1-game series, that's kinda stupid).

• 2 weeks later...

i like how the coach of washington resigned after their owners didnt want to talk about a contract extension for him

that took guts

It wasn't gutsy, just incredibly stupid and self-serving. He walked out on his team, plain and simple. If a player tried to pull this (like K-Rod going home if the Mets did things to make sure his option didn't kick in) there'd be a grievance filed. And it's not like he's getting a managerial job elsewhere regardless, his only chance of being a manager next year was to ride it out with the Nats and hope they picked up the option.

It wasn't gutsy, just incredibly stupid and self-serving. He walked out on his team, plain and simple. If a player tried to pull this (like K-Rod going home if the Mets did things to make sure his option didn't kick in) there'd be a grievance filed. And it's not like he's getting a managerial job elsewhere regardless, his only chance of being a manager next year was to ride it out with the Nats and hope they picked up the option.

Agreed. Riggleman is an idiot. You'd have to be pretty stupid to hire this fool after pulling such a stunt.

Edited by nmigliore

he was interviewed on WFAN and he said that the management and owners are clueless. i think he was ranting that he has them over .500 blah blah and that he only wanted a committment on his future

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just a horrible story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

A male fan has died after falling over the outfield railing and landing on the concrete behind the out-of-town scoreboard at the Rangers Ballpark during the second inning of Thursday's game between the Texas Rangers and Oakland Athletics.

The left-field wall is 14 feet high and the fan went over the railing, which is a few feet higher, for an approximately 20-foot drop. The area where the man fell is out of sight from the field.

The fan, wearing a blue Rangers cap and white Rangers shirt, was seated in the front row with his young son. According to others seated near him, the man was yelling at Rangers left fielder Josh Hamilton for a foul ball that was hit by Conor Jackson and ricocheted into left field in the second inning. Hamilton flipped the ball toward the fan and the fan leaned over, caught it and toppled over in the gap between the railing and the back of the scoreboard on the left-field fence.

Yeah, that is awful. I feel terrible for his family and Josh Hamilton. Hopefully they put some kind of soft padding in that concrete-exposed gap, if possible, to prevent future accidents like this. Really sad.

Edited by nmigliore

• 3 weeks later...

Toronto is getting Colby Rasmus as part of a 3-team deal. Looks like they are giving up Frasor and a couple prospects and Edwin Jackson is going to St. Louis. This is probably going to be a major win for Toronto; Rasmus has big-time potential, hes still very young, and he was fantastic last year (133+ OPS, 23 HR from a 23 year old CF'er). St. Louis is stupid.

Edit: Olney claims Zach Stewart and Frasor to the White Sox as part of the Jackson/Teahen deal.

Edit 2: Jackson, Dotel, and Rzepczynski are heading to St. Louis for Rasmus.

So basically, the Jays just acquired Rasmus while giving up Stewart and a couple relievers. Wow, such a steal.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, La Russa hated Rasmus. But wow, you have to be stupid to give up on him like that. So much potential, and he flashed a lot of that last season. The Jays basically got him for a prospect who projects as a #3 or #4 starter and 2 relievers; major steal.

Edit: Trever Miller and Brian Tallet are also going to Toronto and Corey Patterson is going to St. Louis, but who cares, it doesn't change the fact Toronto so won this deal.

Edited by nmigliore

1. What a brutal blown call in the Pirate game. I could see if it was a bang bang play but it wasn't even close, hell even Lugo was shocked to be called safe. Just an unreal end to a marathon game.

2. That's a great trade for the Jays for reasons nmigliore pointed out. As a Yankee fan I'm not too happy about that.

3. Man does Edwin Jackson get moved a lot, today was his fifth and sixth trades of his career and he's just 27. At least he gets to test free agency at the end of the year.

Looks like Ed Wade finally made a quality trade; just robbed the top 2 Phillies prospects (Cosart and Singleton) for Hunter Pence. Also got 2 players to be named later. Not that Pence is bad or anything - hes a good everyday player, but I don't think hes worth two top 50 prospects and hes certainly overachieving this season thanks to a high BABIP. And while hes under control for 2 additional seasons, he's going to get some good coin via arbitration over the next 2 seasons. Great job to sell high.

I wonder if they'll be dumb enough to take at bats away from Dom Brown with this move and completely ignore the terrible player that is Raul Ibanez in LF.

Edited by nmigliore