‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

I think its possible at least. His fiancee may be one of the types that has her mind set on things and pushes him lol. You're probably right though, I'm guessing he's going to sleep on it another night.

I don't want to read into it too much but when everyone asks all these questions about who is in the mix ZP always declines to say who except that NJ is in it. I wonder if its good (thats were in it) or its bad because maybe he's just trying to show that he still keep NJ as an option but probably won't return. I don't know..haha

I read on HF that ZP's decision may of been delayed because of Chicagos involvement. Who knows.

Guys, he's taken two freakin days so far to decide.

He's making a choice that will likely affect his life for the next 10+ years, chill the hell out.

Stop acting like he owes us something as fans. I'd say he's earned the right to take some time here.

shades of Needmybrother....

BTW, the most ridiculous anonymous false rumor monger tweet of the day goes to:

Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr

The other 1 is shocking, but it's the #Habs. #Canadiens arranged conference call between Parise and Gionta/Gomez/Pacioretty as per source.

Because no one can talk about how great it is to be adored by the Montreal fanbase than Scott Gomez.

I don't want to read into it too much but when everyone asks all these questions about who is in the mix ZP always declines to say who except that NJ is in it. I wonder if its good (thats were in it) or its bad because maybe he's just trying to show that he still keep NJ as an option but probably won't return. I don't know..haha

I read on HF that ZP's decision may of been delayed because of Chicagos involvement. Who knows.

I truly believe that the longer it takes, the more likely he is staying. I obviously would like it to be over ASAP, but as long as he says we're in it, I believe that its a better chance of him sticking around.

The delay could also be because Lou is trying to get something sorted with ownership/NHL in terms of the offer. Theres probably 100s of different scenarios as to whats the reason for the delay or why. It could also be complete truth that he just wants to talk it over with family and wants to take another night. I dont see the harm in it.

I think it was telling yesterday when he suddenly canceled on all meetings he had scheduled with teams.

I'm so sick of any talk about loyalty. There is next to no loyalty in sports. There is rarely loyalty from GMs to players, players to GM. Players sign a long-term deal and ask to be traded the soon things get bad. Players sign a long-term deal without a NTC and get dealt immediately months after buying a new home and getting settled, or promises made to them by the GM and owners are not kept. And there is certainly no loyalty between players and fans. Fans jump on players the second their production is down, no matter what they have accomplished, not even thinking about what's going on be it a messy divorce, a family member being sick, any other personal thing, or playing through an injury.

While you're not wrong, the fact is the Devils ARE somewhat different than most organizations. Not that they don't ever trade players, but Marty takes millions less in the prime of his career to stay, Hedberg takes less to stay, Andy Greene took less to stay last year, Rafalski waited around for Nieds to make up his mind. Lou also shows loyalty, giving Marty/Moose two years, giving Pandolfo a ridiculous contract, bringing back guys time and again. It's not utopia but it's as close as you're going to get in sports, at least in terms of management-player relationships. How many team's FA's talk constantly about being in contact with their GM during the FA process? How many organizations have coaches and scouts as devoted to the team as we do?

As far as your point that Zach would be jeered during his first slump, I hope not. Especially if he winds up taking $20-30 million less to stay. I'm sure there'll be some yahoos in the stands that get on him but there's a major difference between him and Kovy. Zach's a homegrown, long-time Devil. He'd get the benefit of the doubt with slumps a lot more than a guy who was here half a minute and signed for twice the biggest contract any other Devil had ever received.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah I really wish there was a way to just outright ban that one and @NHLSourcesSay. The latter always "breaks" news after it's common knowledge without citing anyone, and then as the Parise announcement was coming, "confirmed" that Parise was now a Penguin.

Zach Parise is officially a ‪#Penguin‬, announcement in the next few minutes. ‪#CONFIRMED

And yet he has 15,000 followers. Unreal.

While you're not wrong, the fact is the Devils ARE somewhat different than most organizations. Not that they don't ever trade players, but Marty takes millions less in the prime of his career to stay, Hedberg takes less to stay, Andy Greene took less to stay last year, Rafalski waited around for Nieds to make up his mind. Lou also shows loyalty, giving Marty/Moose two years, giving Pandolfo a ridiculous contract, bringing back guys time and again. It's not utopia but it's as close as you're going to get in sports, at least in terms of management-player relationships. How many team's FA's talk constantly about being in contact with their GM during the FA process? How many organizations have coaches and scouts as devoted to the team as we do?

As far as your point that Zach would be jeered during his first slump, I hope not. Especially if he winds up taking $20-30 million less to stay. I'm sure there'll be some yahoos in the stands that get on him but there's a major difference between him and Kovy. Zach's a homegrown, long-time Devil. He'd get the benefit of the doubt with slumps a lot more than a guy who was here half a minute and signed for twice the biggest contract any other Devil had ever received.

This is all a very round about way of saying that the Devils are a great organization to play for. It's a well-run team. It's successful and the boss is very respected.

You could substitute "hockey team" with "law firm", "investment bank" or whatever, and the calculus is basically the same for the employee deciding whether to take a job elsewhere.

I didn't even bring up the players that wanted to stay when free agency started and weren't offered contracts all the while the fans are saying it's time to say goodbye. Gionta, Martin and Madden were three long-time Devils that didn't have any discussions with Lou and went their own way. Brylin got the shaft as well after 2008. It's a business.

I think all the "talk to my family" BS is just stall tactics and posturing and smoke and mirrors, both on Zach's camp's part and the part of the Devils org.

I have watched these negotiations closely over the years, most recently with the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha and whatever you think is going to happen, is exactly what isn't going to happen...not to say he isn't coming back, because I have a decently good feeling about it, but it's all such a crapshoot and you never know what goes on behind closed doors with these guys, their agents, and GMs...

I think it's anyone's game and we will have to just wait it out and see. He owes us nothing and I know loyalty has no place in sports when BIG BUCKS are being shelled out, but perhaps he will stick around a little while longer...or we can only hope...

i also get the sense that if parise is saying that finances aren't in play for the devils, that the offers are all fairly similar and its really just a matter of deciding where to play for the next 10 years. NJ is what he knows. He's got other teams and players whispering in his ear. Its enough to make you second guess yourself.

I didn't even bring up the players that wanted to stay when free agency started and weren't offered contracts all the while the fans are saying it's time to say goodbye. Gionta, Martin and Madden were three long-time Devils that didn't have any discussions with Lou and went their own way. Brylin got the shaft as well after 2008. It's a business.

Brylin's still hanging around showing up at games, not like he had a falling out with the team or anything. Gionta's brother stayed here for two years, so I don't think Brian thinks ill of us either and he got paid way more than what anyone would have sensibly offered him coming off 22 and 18-goal seasons anyway. Martin was here like five years and never won anything with us, plus he wanted to leave after our medical staff screwed up his shot at hte Olympics.

I think all the "talk to my family" BS is just stall tactics and posturing and smoke and mirrors, both on Zach's camp's part and the part of the Devils org.

I have watched these negotiations closely over the years, most recently with the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha and whatever you think is going to happen, is exactly what isn't going to happen...not to say he isn't coming back, because I have a decently good feeling about it, but it's all such a crapshoot and you never know what goes on behind closed doors with these guys, their agents, and GMs...

I think it's anyone's game and we will have to just wait it out and see. He owes us nothing and I know loyalty has no place in sports when BIG BUCKS are being shelled out, but perhaps he will stick around a little while longer...or we can only hope...

True enough... For all we know maybe theres a team involve working on a trade to get a better deal to Zach or be able to fit him.... Seems like chicago is pretty tight and would have to squeeze him on the roster and under the cap

I really hope not... Zach should just play safe and re-sign in NJ

I think ZP wants to stay, he just is pondering whether he should/will give up 20M to do it. If he's getting offers near a 100 or upfront $$$ which neither the Devils can do---he's probably wondering whether the DEvils' 80M offer he should take or pass up the rest of the money.

My guess is teams like Minny or Philly are offering him the most money,and he has no desire to go there really.

Pit and NJ aren't offering as much but are the places he'd consider going, and it's just whether he can give up the dough to do it.

Tough Decision.

True enough... For all we know maybe theres a team involve working on a trade to get a better deal to Zach or be able to fit him.... Seems like chicago is pretty tight and would have to squeeze him on the roster and under the cap

It just smells like he had a few teams in mind after Day One, worked his way to making a decision then the Hawks magically appeared out of nowhere, hours after they got rebuffed on Brodeur interestingly enough. With another option maybe Zach need to talk about that with his fiancee where the Hawks weren't in the mix last night. Maybe some other teams increased their offer too since then.

Edited by NJDevs4978

EXACTLY. It's a fvcking sh!tshow man, it's the ultimate mind-fvck for fans like us.

I know everyone here hates the Jets but last offseason we thought we had Nnamdi in the bag...Revis was "recruiting" him...Adam Sandler (Jets fan) gave him a call...blah blah blah...and I remember I was on the GSP headed down the shore for the weekend and the deadline hit and Twitter went silent and all sorts of crazy rumors came through...and

BAM a surprise team...the EAGLES!!!

(and then he went on to have a marginally terrible season, which made it all that much better, but still, I was devastated at the time)

It is an emotional roller coaster and I am getting sucked into this one like the Nnamdi sweepstakes, and the Lebron sweepstakes, Cliff Lee sweepstakes for the Yanks but as a fan you have no other option...you want what is best for your team.

Edited by mikepeluso8

EXACTLY. It's a fvcking sh!tshow man, it's the ultimate mind-fvck for fans like us.

I know everyone here hates the Jets but last offseason we thought we had Nnamdi in the bag...Revis was "recruiting" him...Adam Sandler (Jets fan) gave him a call...blah blah blah...and I remember I was on the GSP headed down the shore for the weekend and the deadline hit and Twitter went silent and all sorts of crazy rumors came through...and

BAM a surprise team...the EAGLES!!!

It is an emotional roller coaster and I am getting sucked into this one like the Nnamdi sweepstakes, and the Lebron sweepstakes but as a fan you have no other option...you want what is best for your team.

That's what worries me. After the Hawks came out of nowhere today, I'm worried about someone else doing it even more stealthily tomorrow. Watch us find out Zach goes to the Kings tomorrow after not really hearing a peep out of them since FA started lol.

That's what worries me. After the Hawks came out of nowhere today, I'm worried about someone else doing it even more stealthily tomorrow. Watch us find out Zach goes to the Kings tomorrow after not really hearing a peep out of them since FA started lol.

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT MAN!!!

This is just the beginning...it's all smoke and mirrors and behind closed doors and LITERALLY anything can happen...it is insane.

I think ZP wants to stay, he just is pondering whether he should/will give up 20M to do it. If he's getting offers near a 100 or upfront $$$ which neither the Devils can do---he's probably wondering whether the DEvils' 80M offer he should take or pass up the rest of the money.

My guess is teams like Minny or Philly are offering him the most money,and he has no desire to go there really.

Pit and NJ aren't offering as much but are the places he'd consider going, and it's just whether he can give up the dough to do it.

Tough Decision.

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible. Thats a big deal to some guys, being the big dog at home. Its also a sh!tload of pressure, but Minnesota pressure is not the same as other places.

There's also news that Chicago is involved and I think they would have a good case to make similar to Pittsburgh's situation minus the relationship with Crosby. I also don't think the Flyers are offering the most money. I think Detroit and Minnesota are leading that charge with the rest of the suitors being very competitive and able to offer other things. Then again, Holmgren is insane, so it wouldnt surprise me if they were near the top of the money heap.

Its just all a guessing game now. Regardless of where he picks, I'm really interested to hear what other teams are offering him.

Yeah I really wish there was a way to just outright ban that one and @NHLSourcesSay. The latter always "breaks" news after it's common knowledge without citing anyone, and then as the Parise announcement was coming, "confirmed" that Parise was now a Penguin.

And yet he has 15,000 followers. Unreal.

This has to be the best one... webpage and all.

http://www.hockeywil...ed-to-minnesota

Zach_Minnesota.png

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible. Thats a big deal to some guys, being the big dog at home. Its also a sh!tload of pressure, but Minnesota pressure is not the same as other places.

There's also news that Chicago is involved and I think they would have a good case to make similar to Pittsburgh's situation minus the relationship with Crosby. I also don't think the Flyers are offering the most money. I think Detroit and Minnesota are leading that charge with the rest of the suitors being very competitive and able to offer other things. Then again, Holmgren is insane, so it wouldnt surprise me if they were near the top of the money heap.

Its just all a guessing game now. Regardless of where he picks, I'm really interested to hear what other teams are offering him.

Chicago scares me, because they have some good pieces like us.

The thing about Minny being the home team, is it's also a curse to play for the hometown making that kind of money. He'll have too much pressure, and it'll be solely on him to turn it around...and I can't imagine him wanting to deal with that. That team has been so bad for so long, why would he go there if not only for the money.

I think it's probably down to Pit and us. I really do think that. I bet the money breaks down like this:

Tons of money with upfront cash now:

Minnesota

Philly

A lot of money with a little upfront:

Pittsburgh

A lot of money:

NJ

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible.

Well the Twins have Joe Mauer who is a Minnesota guy, but he is declining in productivity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.