Parise named captain!

SterioDesign

Good choice, I hope he doesn't start squeezing the stick more as a result. I prefer it be a defensmen the majority of the time but there is no choice on defense. Let's hope Kovalchuk flies under the radar and gets 40-45 goals.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Sorry I'd rather give the C to a guy who wants to play here for the next decade and a half. And who also sticks up for his fellow teammates, accepts responsibility, and goes above and beyond both on and off the ice.

Can you really say this about Parise?

I'm pretty sure just about ANYONE who was given the kind of deal Kovy was would want to play here the next decade-and-a-half. He wasn't getting that kind of coin to play in the NHL from anywhere else. He may very well be happy here, but I don't think Kovy had some lifelong dream to suit up for the Devils. Money spoke loudly with that one.

All I am going to say about Parise is that I think you're selling him extremely short, and I think a lot of Devils fans would agree. But I guess you don't like him, you're a Kovy fanboy, whatever.

Sorry I'd rather give the C to a guy who wants to play here for the next decade and a half.

Apparently you have inside knowledge of Parise's future plans with the Devils. Choosing Parise as captain only to have him walk the next year would make the Devils look very foolish. Lou wouldn't put up with it, and I honestly think that if Lou thought there was a good chance that Parise walks next year, he would have preferred to keep the captaincy open until he was sure of the situation. Make no doubt about it, making Parise captain is a huge indication that he is likely staying long term.

And who also sticks up for his fellow teammates, accepts responsibility, and goes above and beyond both on and off the ice.

Parise gives 110% every shift he's out. He is at every Devils event signing autographs. If that isn't "going above and beyond both on and off the ice", I don't know what is.

Edited by Amberite

Sorry I'd rather give the C to a guy who wants to play here for the next decade and a half. And who also sticks up for his fellow teammates, accepts responsibility, and goes above and beyond both on and off the ice.

Jaime L. disagree's with you, and i mention him because he was out the door when he said that, not under Lou's reign anymore.

Sorry I'd rather give the C to a guy who wants to play here for the next decade and a half.

How do you know Parise doesn't want to stay a Devil? Because he didn't put his name on a long term contract soon enough for your liking? How do you know what's going on behind the scenes? Perhaps he has no control over anything until the financial situation of the franchise is sorted out? Parise and the Devils did the right thing this summer for all parties.

Parise has been nothing but great with his contract being brought up every 10 seconds. What more do you want the guy to say or do? He's a free agent, just like Kovalchuk once was. Do you really think Kovalchuk would have come back to the Devils for less then that contract he finally got? If so, you really need to wake up.

And who also sticks up for his fellow teammates,

You're clueless. So you're saying Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux, Lidstrom, Toews, Sakic for example, weren't great captains and Cup winners because they didn't go punch a guy in the head on the ice to defend someone, too?

accepts responsibility,

You are getting even more clueless, if possible. I guess you really have been brainwashed by Kovalchuk's wordsmithery in the media.

and goes above and beyond both on and off the ice.

Now, you're just really lost.

Yes.

Edited by SJP20

Are you fvcking serious with this? What Parise have you been watching the past five years? That guy gives it everything, every shift.

He's a lost cause. It isnt worth it.

Parise has earned it. Would he have been my choice for the C? No. Is it a smart choice though? Yes.

Edited by Quinn01

"I found out before practice. We had a meeting and I found out then," Parise said. "I was surprised because I didn't know it was coming. Nobody gave me the heads-up before the meeting so i was pretty surprised when Pete (DeBoer) said it."

"The last time I was captain was in Squirts when I was eight," Parise said. "I think I was in high school, too. A little bit of experience in high school but I guess this is a little different than that."

"Probably the only difference is they're going to sew that 'C' on the jersey," said Parise, who had been an alternate captain. "With Kovy and Patty, who have experience and have been captains in this league before, I'll rely on them for a lot of things and get a lot of help from them. But I'm for it. It's a big honor.

"Everything will be the same. My goals personally are to keep on doing the same thing. Lead by example and help get this team in the right direction, which I think we are."

NJ.com

Edited by Quinn01

Most of you guys are very delusional.

See ya next year when Parise bolts and Kovy gets what he deserves.

ohhh and of course you're the only one with a clear state of mind here...

all of us + the team + the whole Devils organization are clueless on how to run a team and everything.

One of your point is that Zach MIGHT test the market... eventho he's constantly saying that this is where he wants to be. While Kovalchuk DID test the market for TWO MONTHS and the only reason he's here is because Vanderbeek threw way more money than LA.

Anyways even those points are useless Stevens didnt even want to be in NJ and ended up captain, Parise deserves it 100% thats all

Edited by SterioDesign

per TG

Elias and Kovalchuk alternates captains

Politically speaking it makes sense.

Scenario A) Parise is given the "C" because of his natural ability to be a leader and his passion for the game and the team. It also can be considered a "good will loyalty" gesture towards the Parise camp that the Devils want him long-term and this should be viewed as a sign of such. Since Lou doesn't hand out the "C" like candy to trick-or-treaters, I think this is a strong signal to Parise.

Giving Parise the C also takes pressure of Kovy.

Scenario B) IF, and ONLY IF, Parise were to bolt town in July, the Devils have a plausible excuse to go back to the well and give Kovy or Travis the "C" without having to downgrade or insult anyone.

example of what Lou would say to Kovy or Trav..."Boys, we believe in all of you but traded up in the draft to pick up Parise and before you both arrived we thought he was our franchise player. But, business is business, and he didn't accept our offer...You guys are also very valuable parts of our organization and we want to pass the baton left by Zach to either you Kovy or Trav..."

Makes sense?

Big news! What we've all been waitin for. I've been for this the whole time and I'm still glad he's been named. Hopefully this will help him pick it up cuz he's been havin a slow start. Who are the assistants I'm just gettin to this thread..

Elias and Kovy.

Damn... i was hoping for Cam to get the C

:lol:

Edited by Quinn01