GDT: DEVILS @ ISLANDERS 7:00PM TV FSNY2 /FSN HD Radio 660 XM 237

Devilish34

Well, that sucked. After the Islanders scored I quickly shut off the TV yelled, "Sh!t" and then went to the movies. (it was a horrible movie btw but I digress..)

The team is just absolutely frustrating. They need to start playing 60 minutes of hockey. And Oduya needs to stop playing with his head up his a*s

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, this team, in its current condition - is not a playoff team. Now, you can complain about chanting doom and gloom seven games in, but the fact is this team has yet to "control" a game and look like a decent NHL hockey club. We have been "battling back" in almost every game and can't hold a lead. The offense, to give them credit, is trying their damnedest and is bailing out both the "D" and Brodeur. Weekes has been as solid as we can expect based on the lack of talent in front of him - and playing limited games (right now - he "looks" better than Marty).

So in response to some of the posts from the game:

Trade Gionta - Please, the offense needs as much help as it is, how many more goose eggs would we see without him.

The Return of White: - Right now, we don't even know, if this is even a possibile eventuality, much less a time frame. He would help but not enough. Regardless, that factor is TBA.

Souray: - Some people on this board are seriouslly delusional - in case you haven't noticed, scoring chances and shots are not the problem - it's giving up goals. Sure, lets add another irresponsable, overpaid Defensive mercenary who can pass the puck right through our own crease. Or maybe he can entertain White and Langs with a puppet show on the IR list. Lot of good in Edmonton.

VV - Okay he finally made a mistake tonight, but he has been decent - seems like he's overcompensating for the anemic guys he's matched up with.

Truth is, calls aside, we didn't even deserve the point tonight. With the divine intervention on DP for Pando's magic goal this would have probably been a 4 - 2 loss or such that we are growing accustom to.

Offense - No complaints, these guys are busting their butts.

Goaltending -I actually thought that Weekes held up, aside from our D helping with the NY offense tonight. some key saves.

PK - the double minor was impressive and surprised me, but other than that WOW...

PP - Nonexistent right now and seems to waste more time than naything as of late.

5 on 3 = "Instagoal"

Defense - As I've said before they play well for small periods of time then GLARING MISTAKE....(repeat as such)

Oduya - This guy has a blank check right now...you can almost see in his face that he is aware of how bad his game has been.

Outlook: Its not the losses, or the few wins its just the general lack of presence this team has on the ice. Yes its a new system, yes they lack talent (and the Islanders don't - but look what they have done), yes the team chemistry is different, and yes they've been on the road, but half of this team doesn't look hungry. They look like they've been reading they predictions by sportswriters and may have bought into it.

Will we become the doormat of the Atlantic....I hope not...to soon to tell...but not to soon to be concerned. :noclue:

Haha i could take my posts from other game threads and stick them in here and there wouldnt be any difference.

Same problems different game.

The offence once again looked pretty sharp, the forcheck system is acctually working pretty well, they seemed to be genorating turnovers. Parise was on fire last night, its like he wants to make the Islanders realise what they are missing.

As per usual the defence wasnt great, there is just no physicallity in the defence, i cant remember a really sound hit coming from anyone on the Devils so far this year, but i can remember a few times that Rachunek has been hammered into the boards by opposing teams. Colin White is sorley missed right now, because were just not playing physical, the defence seems to wander around the zone hoping the puck hits them or just drifts out the zone.

Martin has been better IMO, he seems to get forward more i think he will get better as the season goes on.

Corrente cant come through the system soon enough, Physical, great shot and a good skater, pretty much everything the devils need right now from a defencman.

Oh and anyone weho thinks souray would have helped heres some stats for you:

Player Team GP G A P +/-

Andy Greene NJD 8 1 1 2 5

Sheldon Souray EDM 6 1 1 2 -3

Mike Mottau NJD 8 1 0 1 -5

Karel Rachunek NJD 8 0 1 1 1

Vitaly Vishnevski NJD 8 0 0 0 -6

Paul Martin NJD 8 0 5 5 -2

David Johnny Oduya NJD 8 0 0 0 -3

Green, Martin and Rachunek are all putting in better performances, but the real advantage to not taking him lies in the $$$$$$

Mr Souray is taking home 6.25 mill according to NHLnumbers this year (cap hit 5.4 mill), The money that Green ,Mottau, Rachunek, Vishnevski and Oduya are taking home is 5.84 mill ( cap hit 6.24). green who has better stats than souray and is younger with more time to become a better player is only taking home 0.6 mill.

Now ask yourself Sheldon Souray, or 5 Devils Defencmen.

Simply put, this team, in its current condition - is not a playoff team. Now, you can complain about chanting doom and gloom seven games in, but the fact is this team has yet to "control" a game and look like a decent NHL hockey club. We have been "battling back" in almost every game and can't hold a lead. The offense, to give them credit, is trying their damnedest and is bailing out both the "D" and Brodeur. Weekes has been as solid as we can expect based on the lack of talent in front of him - and playing limited games (right now - he "looks" better than Marty).

So in response to some of the posts from the game:

Trade Gionta - Please, the offense needs as much help as it is, how many more goose eggs would we see without him.

The Return of White: - Right now, we don't even know, if this is even a possibile eventuality, much less a time frame. He would help but not enough. Regardless, that factor is TBA.

Souray: - Some people on this board are seriouslly delusional - in case you haven't noticed, scoring chances and shots are not the problem - it's giving up goals. Sure, lets add another irresponsable, overpaid Defensive mercenary who can pass the puck right through our own crease. Or maybe he can entertain White and Langs with a puppet show on the IR list. Lot of good in Edmonton.

VV - Okay he finally made a mistake tonight, but he has been decent - seems like he's overcompensating for the anemic guys he's matched up with.

Truth is, calls aside, we didn't even deserve the point tonight. With the divine intervention on DP for Pando's magic goal this would have probably been a 4 - 2 loss or such that we are growing accustom to.

Offense - No complaints, these guys are busting their butts.

Goaltending -I actually thought that Weekes held up, aside from our D helping with the NY offense tonight. some key saves.

PK - the double minor was impressive and surprised me, but other than that WOW...

PP - Nonexistent right now and seems to waste more time than naything as of late.

5 on 3 = "Instagoal"

Defense - As I've said before they play well for small periods of time then GLARING MISTAKE....(repeat as such)

Oduya - This guy has a blank check right now...you can almost see in his face that he is aware of how bad his game has been.

Outlook: Its not the losses, or the few wins its just the general lack of presence this team has on the ice. Yes its a new system, yes they lack talent (and the Islanders don't - but look what they have done), yes the team chemistry is different, and yes they've been on the road, but half of this team doesn't look hungry. They look like they've been reading they predictions by sportswriters and may have bought into it.

Will we become the doormat of the Atlantic....I hope not...to soon to tell...but not to soon to be concerned. :noclue:

If Marty starts playing like Marty then we will definitely start hearing less talk about the penalty kill and defensive issues. I thought the Devils defense looked miserable for good chunks of last season only to be bailed out by the brilliant play of Brodeur. Once Brodeur stopped standing on his head come playoff time you started to really notice how porous our defense really was. If Marty gets going and this team can score goals they will not be the doormat of the league. The Devils also won't be the #1 seed (more like 6-8), but I just have a hard time seeing a team with Brodeur getting under 90 points.

"It's another game where we didn't play 60 minutes," said Devils head coach Brent Sutter. "We played 40 or 45 minutes and controlled the game in that span, but 20 minutes you get sloppy and lazy and don't compete and don't work and you allow teams to score two or three goals, you dig yourselves a hole."

Really, who's fault is that?

"It's another game where we didn't play 60 minutes," said Devils head coach Brent Sutter. "We played 40 or 45 minutes and controlled the game in that span, but 20 minutes you get sloppy and lazy and don't compete and don't work and you allow teams to score two or three goals, you dig yourselves a hole."

George Bush???

Exactly. It one thing to coach your kids team, its another to coach at the professional level. I don't think Sutter has what it takes to be a head coach in the NHL from what I have seen thus far.

Same losing story every night with no solutions in sight.

I don't want to start a Burns thread, but I have no doubt that an experienced coach like Burns could make the same team composition competitive without exposing Marty in the process.

This looks like Lou's two big moves: Zubrus and Sutter have backfired.

Yours ??? :noclue:

Exactly. It one thing to coach your kids team, its another to coach at the professional level. I don't think Sutter has what it takes to be a head coach in the NHL from what I have seen thus far.

Same losing story every night with no solutions in sight.

I don't want to start a Burns thread, but I have no doubt that an experienced coach like Burns could make the same team composition competitive without exposing Marty in the process.

This looks like Lou's two big moves: Zubrus and Sutter have backfired.

That's right, they've backfired HORRRRIBLY. A team who has played 8 games, 8 new players, a different system, all on the road, and with two of the better veterans out, a defense of blech, has managed to go 3-4-1 against some very good teams in tough buildings.

Some losing story every night? You do see they've won some games, right?

Great to compare Burns who had Stevens, Daneyko, White, Niedermayer, Rafalski as his defensive core with Sutter who has Rachunek, Vishnevski, Oduya, Mottau, Martin and Greene.

Mine

That's right, they've backfired HORRRRIBLY. A team who has played 8 games, 8 new players, a different system, all on the road, and with two of the better veterans out, a defense of blech, has managed to go 3-4-1 against some very good teams in tough buildings.

Some losing story every night? You do see they've won some games, right?

Great to compare Burns who had Stevens, Daneyko, White, Niedermayer, Rafalski as his defensive core with Sutter who has Rachunek, Vishnevski, Oduya, Mottau, Martin and Greene.

:blahblah: Im sick of hearing about "the new system" and "the new players". We HAD a working system. We COULD have kept the same players. Why exactly are we trying to invent a square wheel? ok so marty wasnt sharp come playoff time, I thought bringing in weekes was great to give this "rest marty thing" a try. Thats all we needed to do. We didn't need to let almost half the team go.

They had all training camp to get used to the system, they had the preseason and now 8 games. And btw the games we are winning are lucky. Honestly the biggest change I see from previous years is usually we out play a team, and they win by getting lucky breaks and bounces. This year WE are that team and we lose its because we are getting outplayed. Just how much of the season are we supposed to throw away before this "system" kicks in? 10% of the season is byebye for the record.

Edited by squishyx

:blahblah: Im sick of hearing about "the new system" and "the new players". We HAD a working system. We COULD have kept the same players. Why exactly did are we trying to invent a square wheel? ok so marty wasnt sharp come play off time, I thought bringing in weekes was great to give this "rest marty thing" a try. Thats all we needed to do.

They had all training camp to get used to the system, they had the preseason and now 8 games. And btw the games we are winning are lucky. Honestly the biggest change I see from previous years is usually we out play a team, and they win by getting lucky breaks and bounces. This year WE are that team and we lose its because we are getting outplayed. Just how much of the season are we supposed to throw away before this "system" kicks in? 10% of the season is byebye for the record.

Due to the cap there is no way we could've signed both Gomez and Rafalski without having major cap issues this season. Even if we could have, what would've been the point? The system and the same players got us bounced in the second round two years in a row. It was time to tinker with personel and the system.

As far as losing games by being outplayed, we controlled the play in the first and third periods against the Isles, Flyers, Thrashers and Penguins. The problem has been getting a 60 minute effort together. Obviously the onus on getting 60 minutes out of the players falls on Sutter, but jeez, we're supposed to lynch the guy after 8 games?

Due to the cap there is no way we could've signed both Gomez and Rafalski without having major cap issues this season. Even if we could have, what would've been the point? The system and the same players got us bounced in the second round two years in a row. It was time to tinker with personel and the system.

As far as losing games by being outplayed, we controlled the play in the first and third periods against the Isles, Flyers, Thrashers and Penguins. The problem has been getting a 60 minute effort together. Obviously the onus on getting 60 minutes out of the players falls on Sutter, but jeez, we're supposed to lynch the guy after 8 games?

Do you honestly consider gutting the defense (Martin is the only guy there from 2 years ago), implementing an entirely different system, and changing line combinations 50 times per game just "tinkering". I think it was a drastic and uneeded overhaul of the team. I agree we needed tinkering but we have very different definitions of the word.

And we could have easilly kept Rafi and Gomez with the cap room we have and not signing Zubrus or Vishnevski. Now Gomez is having a horrible year but he didn't want to stay anyway so I am still bitter about Rafi because Lou could have kept him.

Edited by squishyx

Do you honestly consider gutting the defense (Martin is the only guy there from 2 years ago), implementing an entirely different system, and changing line combinations 50 times per game just "tinkering". I think it was a drastic and uneeded overhaul of the team. I agree we needed tinkering but we have very different definitions of the word.

And we could have easilly kept Rafi and Gomez with the cap room we have and not signing Zubrus or Vishnevski. Now Gomez is having a horrible year but he didn't want to stay anyway so I am still bitter about Rafi because Lou could have kept him.

Wrong on both counts. Gomez got 7 million, Rafalski got 5 million. Zubrus got 3.6 million and Vishnevsky got 1.8 million.

The Devils were lucky to be in the 2nd round both years and got stomped both years. It was time for a change.

Wrong on both counts. Gomez got 7 million, Rafalski got 5 million. Zubrus got 3.6 million and Vishnevsky got 1.8 million.

The Devils were lucky to be in the 2nd round both years and got stomped both years. It was time for a change.

Agreed, This team is 2 years away from contending for the Cup...thats hoping Brodeur is still going strong. I think we will see Mark Fraser comming up and gaining some exerpience in this system. He seems to be playing well for Lowell this year.

Exactly. The old system wasn't working. It ensured we had a perenial playoff team (57% of the teams make the playoffs) but a team that got destroyed every time the games actually mattered. So much of the old trapping system was based on frustrating the other team, and we don't have to talent to truly demoralize them when its the playoffs any more.

you HAVE to roll 4 lines now, and your defense HAS to be a part of your offense. You can't win any more unless that's the case.

My biggest problem with the old system is defensmen not attacking into the rush.

Am I the only one who sees the improvement from the last few games?

I see plenty of improvment, we need some consistant goaltending and to cash in some more. We seem to be outplaying the opposition quite often.

I think it's the exact opposite. The Devils' old trap system doesn't need elite defenders - look at how successful Minnesota is with it. The problem is that while it is successful in the regular season, it's not the style that wins in the playoffs anymore - especially with how small the Devils' forwards were the past two seasons. The trap makes a decent team very good, but won't make a good team great - not anymore. It isn't 2003 anymore.