Rags fire Tortorella

'7'

Glad hes out of this media market. Dont have to listen to him or read local media talking about him.

Same. I'm actually surprised though, maybe this has something to do with Lundqvist's hesitation about signing long-term?

That wouldn't shock me at all. Lundqvist might've said to Sather 'its him or me'.

Tortorella is an excellent head coach and to be quite honest, if DeBoer ever departs, I would love no one other than Torts coaching the Devils.  He reminds me of a mix between Pat Burns and Jacques Lemaire.  He just has to tone down his press conference antics a bit.

people tend to sh!t on this guy and make fun when his predictions doesnt happen and ignore it when he's right (which he's been quite a few times) but Incarceratedbob broke that news before anyone else.

Incarcerated Bob takes educated guesses. We were talking about Torts being fired weeks ago. There was a whole thread on it.  Bob just says 'confirmed' and people think he's a genius.

so how quick will the rumors of Lindy Ruff will be there next coach

It would be a great move for them. I hope they don't hire him.

That wouldn't shock me at all. Lundqvist might've said to Sather 'its him or me'.

Don't get that at all.  Torts has a lot to do with Lunqvist's recent success.

Tortorella did some things right, others wrong, but Lundqvist basically always bailed him out - when you've got a world-class goaltender it's difficult to get fired.  Hoping this means Ruff and not Vigneault.

I would think that a shot blocking and collapse around the net strategy would help the goalie.

Don't get that at all.  Torts has a lot to do with Lunqvist's recent success.Tortorella did some things right, others wrong, but Lundqvist basically always bailed him out - when you've got a world-class goaltender it's difficult to get fired.  Hoping this means Ruff and not Vigneault.

I would think that a shot blocking and collapse around the net strategy would help the goalie.

They don't score any goals though, and I think that's why Lundqvist may have spoken up. I think he's had enough of Tortorella's system.

Don't get that at all.  Torts has a lot to do with Lunqvist's recent success.

I assume, since Lundqvist wanted Torts gone, that Lundqvist feels like his save percentage will stay pretty constant and since Lundqvist has one of the best save percentages then the Rangers should play a system that generates the greatest number of shots for both teams instead of a system that generates the least number of shots for both teams.

They don't score any goals though, and I think that's why Lundqvist may have spoken up. I think he's had enough of Tortorella's system.

It's hard to look at how the Rangers played in the playoffs and think 'this is a team that can win'.  Lundqvist again had a .934 SV% and the team went 5-7.  He had a .931 last year and the Rangers went 10-10.  It's hard to attribute any of Lundqvist's success to Tortorella - he did just fine under Renney, too. 

Edited by Triumph

Incarcerated Bob takes educated guesses. We were talking about Torts being fired weeks ago. There was a whole thread on it.  Bob just says 'confirmed' and people think he's a genius.

It would be a great move for them. I hope they don't hire him.

no he called it litteraly like 5 minutes before the official news broke out, not something he threw out there months ago

he announced it, then KathyStrang reported it and everyone re-tweeted her

Edited by SterioDesign

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 8m
Glen Sather fires another head coach. Five playoff series wins in 12 seasons as GM of NYR.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 12m
Francesa, first to report firing, said over last 48 hours Tortorella had a difference in opinion with management over direction of team.

no he called it litteraly like 5 minutes before the official news broke out, not something he threw out there months ago

he announced it, then KathyStrang reported it and everyone re-tweeted her

Being 2 seconds earlier than the real media doesn't make up for the 90+% of the time he's wrong.  Єklund (2.3% accurate) gets and deserves the same treatment.

It's hard to look at how the Rangers played in the playoffs and think 'this is a team that can win'.  Lundqvist again had a .934 SV% and the team went 5-7.  He had a .931 last year and the Rangers went 10-10.  It's hard to attribute any of Lundqvist's success to Tortorella - he did just fine under Renney, too. 

Renney was also a defensive, or at least, trap oriented coach.  Rags also made it another round further with Torts.  A marginal improvement, but improvement nonetheless. 

Maybe it was a personality thing.  In the past, you had Torts throw Lunqvist under the bus when he went through cold streaks, which virtually every goalie does.