Chico stepping down after this season?

95Crash

Canadian born Chico Resch, former Islander, Flyer and Devil, has become a Jersey guy

Sunday, October 13, 2013

BY KARA YORIO

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Despite his history on the Islanders and hated rival Flyers, Devils fans and New Jersey natives claim Resch as one of their own. At least for another year.

This could be Resch's final season behind the mike, he said, at 65 with new team owners and a desire to do other things in his life, like travel with Diane.

"I think when you're a player, your body tells you or screams at you, 'Enough,' " Resch said. "Whereas in our business, other factors enter into it like wanting to do other things. We're not exactly sure of the timetable but it's going to be sooner rather than later."

See more at:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/227557051_Canadian_born__former_Islander__Flyer_and_Devil_has_become_a_Jersey_guy.html#sthash.WcatdpgL.dpuf

Canadian born Chico Resch, former Islander, Flyer and Devil, has become a Jersey guy

Sunday, October 13, 2013

BY KARA YORIO

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Despite his history on the Islanders and hated rival Flyers, Devils fans and New Jersey natives claim Resch as one of their own. At least for another year.

This could be Resch's final season behind the mike, he said, at 65 with new team owners and a desire to do other things in his life, like travel with Diane.

"I think when you're a player, your body tells you or screams at you, 'Enough,' " Resch said. "Whereas in our business, other factors enter into it like wanting to do other things. We're not exactly sure of the timetable but it's going to be sooner rather than later."

See more at:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/227557051_Canadian_born__former_Islander__Flyer_and_Devil_has_become_a_Jersey_guy.html#sthash.WcatdpgL.dpuf

If this is indeed his last season as color, this is probably the #1 reason why.

He's a great guy and the article is accurate in that he'll talk to anyone and is incredibly friendly, but I'd be lying if I said I think his on-air game hasn't been slipping lately...and he has his share of detractors who thought he didn't have much on-air game to begin with.   

And time IS short.  My dad is 64 going on 65, healthy in many respects but plagued with back miseries that are only getting worse.  Once you get into your 60s, you don't really know how long you're going to be able to do the things you've always said you'd "hope to get around to" someday.   

But yeah, though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I like Chico, but it DOES feel like it's time to bring someone else in.  If this is his last year, I hope his future endeavors all work out for him.    

whenever he does retire there should definitely be a chico night

There will be...I would expect his playing career to get mention too.  That guy went into every Devil season knowing his team didn't have a prayer and never complained about it, and that was after signing a multi-year deal with the Rockies where the owners at that time practically promised him that the franchise was going to make every effort to remain in Colorado, and that they were going to make a serious effort to improve the on-ice product (he was 33 years old at the time and still had prime years left).  Neither happened...by Year 2 of his deal the team was in NJ, and upon arriving it was clear that the Devils were going to take their sweet time in trying to become a decent team.  Like Hector Marini said (paraphrasing), "They were basically bringing other teams' 24th and 25th players.  You'd think a team like that wouldn't be very good.  Well, we weren't." 

But he gave it his all and tried to be a good mentor-type for the young guys that were slowly coming up through the system.  That's a lot of the reason why I've never been as hard on him, as far as his on-air performance goes, as others.

There will be...I would expect his playing career to get mention too.  That guy went into every Devil season knowing his team didn't have a prayer and never complained about it, and that was after signing a multi-year deal with the Rockies where the owners at that time practically promised him that the franchise was going to make every effort to remain in Colorado, and that they were going to make a serious effort to improve the on-ice product (he was 33 years old at the time and still had prime years left).  Neither happened...by Year 2 of his deal the team was in NJ, and upon arriving it was clear that the Devils were going to take their sweet time in trying to become a decent team.  Like Hector Marini said (paraphrasing), "They were basically bringing other teams' 24th and 25th players.  You'd think a team like that wouldn't be very good.  Well, we weren't." 

But he gave it his all and tried to be a good mentor-type for the young guys that were slowly coming up through the system.  That's a lot of the reason why I've never been as hard on him, as far as his on-air performance goes, as others.

There are times where I get annoyed or pissed at Chico for his on-air performance, especially lately now that he doesn't have Doc there to reign him in.  However, the amount and level of hate he gets from here, twitter, facebook and other messaging boards sometimes can be only described as hurtful.  I met him many times in person and he is the sweetest, most friendly current or former professional athelete I have ever met in my life.

I will be there on Chico night.

I will miss our lovable idiot. He's just one of those guys in hockey who is hard to hate. Regardless how overall bad his analysis is (was), it can be fun to try and decipher the nonsense that spews from his face. 

Chico eats forever!

There are times where I get annoyed or pissed at Chico for his on-air performance, especially lately now that he doesn't have Doc there to reign him in.  However, the amount and level of hate he gets from here, twitter, facebook and other messaging boards sometimes can be only described as hurtful.  I met him many times in person and he is the sweetest, most friendly current or former professional athelete I have ever met in my life.

Yeah, Doc was good at reigning him in for sure.   

And yeah, our fanbase can be a pretty mean-spirited bunch when it wants to be...seeing it first-hand with Brodeur. 

I think he's the most likely choice, but he doesn't currently do games outside of the NJ/NYC/Philly area, so I'm wondering if he wants the increased travel.

Still wish we could have kept Kevin Weekes in the organization, he'd be a perfect fit.

Weekes is head and shoulders above everyone else on NHL network. He'd be great.

Well said. 

I've always been a fan of Chico, but Cangilosi just doesn't know how to reign him in and it can become maddening when he drones on and can't seem to tell who any of the players are. It's probably for the best if he were to move on. But he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He's also very honest off the air and doesn't just push the 'status quo' type lines.

I've always been a fan of Chico, but Cangilosi just doesn't know how to reign him in and it can become maddening when he drones on and can't seem to tell who any of the players are. It's probably for the best if he were to move on. But he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He's also very honest off the air and doesn't just push the 'status quo' type lines.

Very true, he doesn't sugarcoat anything off-air.  After the Penguins waxed the Devils at the Rock early on in Brent Sutter's coaching tenure, he let me know what he thought of the Zubrus signing (his first year of his 6-year deal) at the time.  Suffice it to say he wasn't a fan.