Isles put screws to Nabokov with suspension

RunninWithTheDevil

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Islanders-put-the-screws-to-Evgeni-Nabokov-with-?urn=nhl-312385&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"The Islanders are within their rights to suspend Nabokov. That means Nabokov doesn't get paid and has no other options in terms of playing elsewhere. He just sits. That scenario could simply carry on for the balance of the season. End of story.

Or maybe not. The Islanders could appeal to the NHL to 'toll' the contract, which essentially means push it to next year. In that case, Nabokov would then 'owe' the Islanders a year and Nabokov would not necessarily become a free agent on July 1."

-Bob Mackenzie via TSN

So in the span of a year, Nabokov would have gone from having the freedom to sign a $6-million per year contract in the KHL to being shackled to the Islanders for less than what P.A. Parenteau's(notes) making.

You think he reports to the Islanders now?

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

is garth snow just waiting for holland to offer him a 3rd rounder or something like that? otherwise, this really doesn't make any sense.

The Isles can't trade Nabakov without waiving him first, then SJ will get the claim on Nabakov.

The Isles want Nabakov to either report for the rest of this season or the Islanders will ask the league to push Nabakov's contract to next season, since he did not honor the contract for this season. Then the Islanders could probably trade him, although SJ might want to argue that doing this is the Isles trying to avoid placing Nabakov on waivers and therefore Nabakov needs to be offered to them first.

this whole thing is hilarious. i bet nabby is miserable right now. detroit couldn't have possibly thought they were going to get him so easily though, could they? kudos to long island for making things interesting.

in all fairness, they could really use nabby. poor dipo can't sneeze without pulling a muscle or breaking a bone. (seriously, look at his friggen wrap sheet on tsn: http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2134 IT GOES ON FOREVER)

I really don't understand this...did someone forget to read the rulebook? Or did they just assume that no one would claim him out of "courtesy"? I mean, the Islanders lost Dubie to waivers, so clearly someone of a higher caliber was going to be picked, obviously. What a mess. I'm glad the Devils didn't get involved in this one.

I really don't understand this...did someone forget to read the rulebook? Or did they just assume that no one would claim him out of "courtesy"? I mean, the Islanders lost Dubie to waivers, so clearly someone of a higher caliber was going to be picked, obviously. What a mess. I'm glad the Devils didn't get involved in this one.

I think they went in fully knowing the rules. I also think they felt that no team would have the balls to screw over the Red Wings (for whatever reason).

You misinterpreted my post. I wasn't being sarcastic. All summer long it was nothing but Devils drama.

forgive me

yeah its painfully obvious by now that EN is just a whiny prick who is sore about getting picked up by NY

Eh he had enough chances in the playoffs with the Sharks and never did diddly-squat so I don't really feel sorry for him in that sense. And I don't feel sorry for the Isles either, they traded Roloson two months before the deadline just to save a few more pennies. Like some I just find the whole thing hilarious :P

They really do need to change the waiver rule though.

I dont blame him, I wouldnt want to report to a team that has no chance either. Itd be funny to see if he would accept and report if NJ offered him something, not that we will.

The main purpose of this sport is to win, like other sports, and if you know that there is a 98% chance that that will not even come close to happening, why waste your time?

He will just float back overseas to SKA in a few days Im sure.

The Isles are actually a decent young team but they're not going to have any immediate success. nabokov not reporting just says to me that he doesn't feel his talents can help lift the team.

He also probably isn't that happy with sharing goaltending duties with DiPo. He played a tone of games per season in SJ.

I dont blame him, I wouldnt want to report to a team that has no chance either. Itd be funny to see if he would accept and report if NJ offered him something, not that we will.

The main purpose of this sport is to win, like other sports, and if you know that there is a 98% chance that that will not even come close to happening, why waste your time?

He will just float back overseas to SKA in a few days Im sure.

He is getting played to paid to play hockey. Not everybody can win the cup, granted being on the bottom stinks. At the same time, 2nd place is still just the first looser.