2 Toronto Businessmen Intersted in Partially Owning the Devils?

thefiestygoat

I didn't want this to get lost in the trade thread and I didn't see any other ownership thread. Daren Millard claimed to have some news about the Devils that was "higher on the food chain". Today he had this to say.

https://twitter.com/#!/darenmillard/status/174259225944522752

"Q: @darenmillard what about the NJD news about something higher than a trade?

A: Ownership. 2 guys from toronto reportedly close to picking up 50% of the team."

Speculate.

If something happens and they were able to buy more stake and get a majority ownership, I would guess maybe. I really dont know.

Do the Devils have a contract or something where they have to play at the Prudential Center for a number of a years?

I am not sure if this exists for them but I remember reading a sports team not being able to move or play at another arena due to their contract with the stadium

Not aiming this at you but I feel like I say this at least once every few weeks but Hamilton is never, ever, going to get an NHL team. That city is a depressing sh!t hole that barely deserves the AHL team it has.

People were saying that about Winnipeg a few years ago.

People were saying that about Winnipeg a few years ago.

I've been to both cities, Hamilton is way, way, way worse then Winnipeg and Winnipeg actually supported their AHL team and would sell out for the Moose games. Hamiltons attendance averages just a bit over a 1,000 more then the Albany Devils get. That city doesn't deserve sh!t.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Toronto definitely has room for another NHL team. Probably good for the franchise, but maybe not good long term if you want them to stay in NJ.

I doubt league is going to want to move a second team into Toronto. You don't add any new fans to the NHL. You just cannibalize people who are already Leafs fans into the new teams fans.

I'm not sure why people don't like this. SOMEONE has to buy a piece of this team. The Devils are locked into a long term (30 years?) lease with Prudential Center, plus the NHL seriously discourages the movement of teams. Just because they are from Toronto doesn't mean they immediately want to move the team to that area.

I've been to both cities, Hamilton is way, way, way worse then Winnipeg.

I've never been to Winnipeg, but I can vouch that Hamilton is indeed as bad as you say.

I doubt league is going to want to move a second team into Toronto. You don't add any new fans to the NHL. You just cannibalize people who are already Leafs fans into the new teams fans.

Hamilton is one of the places the league wants to put a team in. That area can definitely support two teams. Its not even a question. Its like NY and baseball.

And yes, concur with the rest, Hamilton is a hole.

Edited by ghdi

Hamilton is one of the places the league wants to put a team in. That area can definitely support two teams. Its not even a question. Its like NY and baseball.

Did the league ever mention Hamilton? I remember Balsille or whatever his name is mentioning it and planning to build a arena there, but I don't remember the league mentioning anything outside of Winnipeg, Quebec, Kansas City or Seattle.

Look on the bright side. If the Toronto guys buy a stake and keep it in NJ we'll probably get some more fans in Toronto, which is good because it's been a long time since that city has had a hockey team.

:rofl:

Did the league ever mention Hamilton? I remember Balsille or whatever his name is mentioning it and planning to build a arena there, but I don't remember the league mentioning anything outside of Winnipeg, Quebec, Kansas City or Seattle.

The big stumbling blocks to Hamilton being on the list are Toronto and Buffalo being opposed. Ive not heard any rumblings about them since Balsillie though. Bettman wanted a team in Winnipeg before any other Canadian city.

They aren't moving. 30-year lease, value in the arena, tv contract and the new owners would be taking over for Chambers in a partial manner, not majority control.

If something occurred where JVB had to sell off his share to these two dipsh!ts, then it could become fearful, but I agree its a stretch. I imagine there would be major conditions to these guys buying in.

With Seattle, Kansas City, and Quebec City on the list of potential NHL destinations, you can just forget about putting a 2nd team in the Greater Toronto Area. It's something that should've happened between 1970-1995, but it didn't, so that's over with.

That said, the Devils need investors who aren't Vanderbeek because it is clear that he doesn't have the cash to own 100% of this team, or he'd have it already.