2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

I am kind of glad Haren went to San Dimas. I agree with Sherman's article today that it was an either or proposition and I would rather throw money at Lee in the off season. That said I am open to trading Joba. He is just too infuriating and I think the bullpen will be this team's downfall.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am kind of glad Haren went to San Dimas. I agree with Sherman's article today that it was an either or proposition and I would rather throw money at Lee in the off season. That said I am open to trading Joba. He is just too infuriating and I think the bullpen will be this team's downfall.

I think they could've made Haren and Lee work. I'm happy either way, either they were going to bolster an already strong rotation this year or like now they get to keep their pitching depth and have more financial flexibility for next year.

Highway robbery. Two decent prospects (assuming one is Skaggs) and Joe Freaking Saunders, who will end up making $6 mil in arbitration so they save basically no money for one of the best pitchers in the NL. At least this isn't as ludicrous as when the D-Backs traded Schilling to BOS for Casey Fossum

Joe Saunders and a few mid-to-low level prospects for Haren? Sounds like a very poor return for someone as good as him.

Baseball America seemed higher on Corban than everyone else, but even so this offer was terrible. Better than the NYY one according to Heyman which was McAllister, Nova and 1 or 2 other prospects which would have set the sportswriters off. People's heads would've exploded if that went through

So the Yankees "dangled" Montero for Soria according to Stark but they apparently weren't interested. They do have Hosmer and Butler who would fill up 1B/DH but you'd think the Royals would take that in a second.

IMO Montero would be too much to give up for any reliever even one as good as Soria. I was only lukewarm on giving him up for Lee, one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball, so I really wouldn't want this. Any other prospect fine (except MAYBE Romine) but not Montero

Apparently, the Yankees think Romaine is the heir apparent to Jorge otherwise they would not have offered Montero up in 2 seperate deals. Word on Montero is that his catching skills are not on par to Romaine's. Plus, with 1b filled and unless you want to use him as a DH, there maybe no spot for Montero. If we got Lee and he signed an extension, I would have done it.

Mike

So the Yankees "dangled" Montero for Soria according to Stark but they apparently weren't interested. They do have Hosmer and Butler who would fill up 1B/DH but you'd think the Royals would take that in a second.

IMO Montero would be too much to give up for any reliever even one as good as Soria. I was only lukewarm on giving him up for Lee, one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball, so I really wouldn't want this. Any other prospect fine (except MAYBE Romine) but not Montero

I have a hard time believing that rumor but that's just my opinion.

I have a hard time believing that rumor but that's just my opinion.

Yeah me too, I don't see any way they could have turned that down, and as for C of the future, yeah they probably think it's Romine, but Montero could be used in LF or as a DH. If his bat's as good as advertised, you make room

Problem is, where are you moving Garnder? CF and Granderson to RF? A lot of fans want the Yanks to go after Crawford. I might be one of the few to want to resign Swisher instead and use that money on Lee. Gardy is looking like a Crawford type player.

Mike

Problem is, where are you moving Garnder? CF and Granderson to RF? A lot of fans want the Yanks to go after Crawford. I might be one of the few to want to resign Swisher instead and use that money on Lee. Gardy is looking like a Crawford type player.

Mike

you could form some sort of situation where Gardner, Granderson and Swish split time. And if they go after Crawford, all bets are off but if Montero turns into what he could be, we're talking Manny Ramirez here. He's got to play

I just hope he's not the defensive player Manny is.

Mike

I just hope he's not the defensive player Manny is.

Mike

He might be worse! If he can't stick at catcher, he'll be a big lumbering guy out there. He's really a man without a position but if his bat's that good :noclue: Plus Yankee Stadium's LF is huge, so he might have to go to right. He's apparently got a strong arm (even though he still can't throw out base stealers)

He might be able to DH once Posada retires, but that might not be for another 2 years. I hate to face it, but he might be expendable.

Mike

Wow. Not that I care about Cleveland or basketball, but this guy deserved to get his ass kicked. And not just for the jersey. Dude has "douche" written all over him.

mlb_g_lebron_jersey1_600.jpg

How did people resist the urge to go beat the ever loving sh!t out of him. He's lucky to be alive after that stupidity

Plus he just looks like a douche the way he's holding the jersey out

Edited by DH26

Solid article, yes. River Ave Blues is a great blog site for all things Yankee and I read it as often as I can. I'm just not really sold on Scott. Where would you play him? Right now, it looks like Posada is the everyday DH and I'm not platooning Gardner. He's not an upgrade over Swisher, so where would he play? If the Yankees make a move, it has to be for bullpen help. I'd still like to get Scott Downs from Toronto, but I doubt he will come cheap.

Mike

I'd still like to get Scott Downs from Toronto, but I doubt he will come cheap.

Mike

Downs ain't happening unless the Jays realize they aren't getting a really good prospect like Montero (who they asked for) for a rental. Cash probably laughed in their GM's greek face.

According to Rosenthal, a rival GM also says they're going in on Dunn and were just trying to get the Natties to stop screwing around. Dunn would go crazy in Yankee Stadium, not to mention his OBP

and now he says that other sources say NYY is actually out...ugh

Edited by DH26

Not surprising. I'm sure the Nats asked for Montero as well and I'm not giving up Montero for a rental.

Mike

I love the Berkman trade. It appears they are getting him for an organization filler so the only thing they are really sacrificing is $7M. Provides a solid veteran bat at DH (or off the bench in potential WS) and he can play 1B in an emergency. He's having a down year but his numbers still aren't bad... .356 wOBA 123 wRC+ .382 wOBA against RHP 140 wRC+ against RHP

Plus as RAB pointed out his game has gotten better as the season has progressed.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/07/another-adam-dunn-alternative-32889/

What’s important is that he has gotten better from May through July. He posted a meager .332 wOBA in May, but that rose to .357 in June and .392 in July. In fact, he’s shown much improvement in July, hitting for much more power (.288 ISO) and walking a ton more (22.3 percent of his PA). His average is a bit down, but that’s because of a .229 BABIP. Everything else looks good, even great, for Berkman right now.