KOVALCHUK OUT TONIGHT GAME 2

mikepeluso8

If Steven Gionta was called up today, and not a few weeks ago, no one would have ever thought he would be a game-changer at a few clutch moments this series. But that's how the story of the playoffs played out. We'll see what Sestito does and react.

Have some faith, at least in the rest of the team!

• Like 1

Zharkov can play a pretty gritty game, but he also got knocked around a bit at the same time. Sestito held his ground a little better.

I can imagine Clarkson moves up to the 2nd line and Bernier moves up to the 3rd line and Sestito fits in the 4th line.

I think he has worked on that since the start of the season from what I have seen in the game highlights in the Albany thread. Zharkov is also the bigger body out of the two.

If Steven Gionta was called up today, and not a few weeks ago, no one would have ever thought he would be a game-changer at a few clutch moments this series. But that's how the story of the playoffs played out. We'll see what Sestito does and react.

Have some faith, at least in the rest of the team!

Very nice point DJ!

When you adjust Tim Sestito's ice time, he basically has the same career shots on goal rate as Cam Janssen.

It's sad really. He's gotten so many looks and has generated nothing, but yet they keep giving him more chances. The sad part is there is just no one to really bring up when you know Zharkov won't get another shot and Tedenby was never going to be.

Not sure what I want the lines to be tonight since that 4th line has been really good. It really sucks that Philly can role 4 excellent lines, so much so that you can't really hide anyone.

UPDATE: Tom Gulitti says that Larsson is skating on one of the defensive lines, and they moved Harrold to RW on the fourth line. I like this move A LOT better.

EDIT: Just to repeat, these are all options and not final decisions. I think that's why the Devils started their skate 15 minutes earlier. Nice move by DeBoer.

Edited by DJ Eco

The guy has 0 goals in 64 NHL games. He's like Clarkson if you removed the goal-scoring talent and added more falling down. The 4th line will get annihilated tonight, it's just a question of whether Brodeur can make the stops.

Yeah. Pretty much this.

I also credited with you on the thought you had a few days ago. This pretty much encapsulates your point on the fact that if Parise leaves, the Devils are in trouble. They have no NHL caliber talent in the organization on the wings.

My guess is that we wont have to worry about Sestito and we'll see Adam back on D. It's the safer move, I think, because if AL struggles on D Pete can move Harrold back and then double shift a forward with Gio and Carter on the 4th line, probably Zach.

Edited by NLinfante

UPDATE: Tom Gulitti says that Larsson is skating on one of the defensive lines, and they moved Harrold to RW on the fourth line. I like this move A LOT better.

EDIT: Just to repeat, these are all options and not final decisions. I think that's why the Devils started their skate 15 minutes earlier. Nice move by DeBoer.

This is an interesting idea. I want Zharkov or even Tedenby, but I'm glad the team is trying to think outside the box and realized Kovalchuk is a serious liability at this point.

Nothing concrete but the rumors I saw suggested his back. That would explain his skating loss and shooting shyness.

Interesting. Might make some sense since we haven't seen him wind for many of those rockets at the point, which require a lot of torque and balance, which would put strain on the back.

Either way, even if he gets three or four days of rest, I'm not sure it will dramatically help over the series.

Elias centering Parise and Clarkson. Zajac centering Ponikarovsky and Zubrus; Henrique centering Sykora and Bernier.

Peter Harrold skating at RW on fourth line with Carter and Gionta. Larsson paired with Volchenkov. Other two D pairs the same.

Obviously it's very bad for us to lose Kovy, but considering his main contributions in the previous 8 games, we're mainly going to be missing minutes. The PP is going to be much worse (!). Going to be interesting to see how they respond...I don't envy DeBoer's position.

The guy has 0 goals in 64 NHL games. He's like Clarkson if you removed the goal-scoring talent and added more falling down. The 4th line will get annihilated tonight, it's just a question of whether Brodeur can make the stops.

This means he is due for a hattrick

It just sucks that this team has had to deal with so many injuries to key players the last couple of years. This loss hurts more than most because of the timing and who we are playing. Kovy is a game changer when healthy, and since Bryz is shaky at best in these playoffs, we needed Kovy's shot to help us win these games. But he hasn't been himself since game 3 of the FLA series. He became a liability on the ice the last few games, and this is the right move.

What is it about Sestito that infatuates Lou, I will never know. I would rather see Zharkov up and playing instead of him, but it looks like the lineup will have Harrold on wing and Larsson on D so we might not have to worry about it.

Hopefully they can grit out a win tonight. I personally don't think we'll see Kovy play before game 4 at the earliest, as it would give him another 5 days to rest. Tonight is a must win, and Marty needs to stand on his head to get it.

Man, I feel so bad for Kovy. The guy has a genuine desire to just win, would do whatever it takes. And he is hurt in his first-time second round action. It must be killing him that he can't play. Get better soon Ilya...

I agree 110% this guy will do anything to win and now he has to sit this must be killing him. Get better soon come back strong and kick some Philthy ass Kovy!!! LGD!!!!!

Trying to be positive, he added nothing to us in game one and was very shaky on a couple of the Flyers goals. By that thinking, its a net gain.

True. But not having him on the PP definitely hurts as, even though he wasn't playing well, the Flyers always had a player up on the point to prevent him from gettng off his shot during game 1. With how weak shooting our D are, not having him there to open passing lanes will allow them to collapse the box and force everything to come from the outside. However, it's not like we can pass the puck on a PP anyway, so maybe you're right after all.

BTW...love the "Defend Jersey" thing. They should put that on a T shirt and/or towel and give those out at Game 3.