USA Soccer

Devils Pride 26

It was imperfectly odd. It was strangely unsettling. It was uniquely American.

On a balmy early Saturday summer evening, the U.S soccer team played for a prestigious championship in a U.S. stadium … and was smothered in boos.

Its fans were vastly outnumbered. Its goalkeeper was bathed in a chanted obscenity. Even its national anthem was filled with the blowing of air horns and bouncing of beach balls.

Most of these hostile visitors didn't live in another country. Most, in fact, were not visitors at all, many of them being U.S. residents whose lives are here but whose sporting souls remain elsewhere.

In Gold Cup final, it's red, white and boo again

Question: If the U.S. Soccer federation knows the atmosphere is going to be like that, why can't they insist that the game be played in Portland or Columbus or somewhere else like that?

I remember a couple years ago it was in the Meadowlands, and it was still mostly Mexican fans. As an American and and American soccer fan, that was pretty disgraceful.

Are you serious?

Yes.

Did they steal half "your" country?

Did they not allow you to go to college because of the color of your skin?

Did they feel intimidated by the language you speak because they didn't understand it?

Did they arrest you and harass you because you were "different" from them?

Did they despise you because they thought you were "inferior" to them?

We cannot judge an entire race/population of a country/region because of the actions of a few.

Do you know what manifest destiny means?

This belongs in the political thread.

I thought Leeds was saying that he literally hates the Mexican national team.

Of course I was. But love reading the drivel the NZT wrote..............WTF is he even talking about?

Whose country was stolen?

Who is not allowed in college.............actually illegals here have better chances of getting into college then citizens.

Who could possibly be intimidated when after you invade a foreign county, when you don't even need to learn the native language?

ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz............

No team should lose after being up 2 - 0 in a soccer game .. all merit to the mexican team who have a crapload of good players, have turned around their minor leagues, and have now successfully overtaken the US as the beast of concacaf --- mr bradley .. please leave, quit, resign. your brand of soccer is a revulsion .. and it has trickled down to the makeup of the squad.

soapbox.gif

Getting back on topic here... (please, save the political stuff for the other forum, guys)...

I was so pumped for the USA-Mexico game, only to find I couldn't watch it on TV with my plan. So that sucked. Then I saw they lost 4-2. That sucked. Then I found out they blew a 2-0 lead from early on in the match. That really sucked.

I echo Jimmy's original sentiments: I hate seeing team USA lose to Mexico. And to be fair, I'm something of a fairweather fan. When the Gold Cup is going on, or when they're gearing up the for World Cup, I'm all about Team USA and try to learn as much as I can; once those wrap up, it fades into the background for me. Still, cripes, brutal loss.

And yes, I'd like to see Bradley step aside for someone else. I think he's done some good things for the team and the players overall, but there has to be a shakeup in advance of the next World Cup...and far enough ahead of time so that players can adapt to the new system.

In Gold Cup final, it's red, white and boo again

Question: If the U.S. Soccer federation knows the atmosphere is going to be like that, why can't they insist that the game be played in Portland or Columbus or somewhere else like that?

It's a CONCACAF tournament. USA cannot insist where the final is played. I'm sure that CONCACAF goes out of their way to play the final where the US would not have an advantage.

I think he's done some good things for the team and the players overall, but there has to be a shakeup in advance of the next World Cup...and far enough ahead of time so that players can adapt to the new system.

bradley has not done one creative thing since he's taken over the team - they were lucky to win some games in africa - the played so much better 2 years ago when they beat spain and almost won the confederations cup..this will be a long haul back

Concacaf goes out of its way to make as much money as possible... they dont care who wins as long as mexico is in the final they are assured a big payday.

• 3 weeks later...

bradley has not done one creative thing since he's taken over the team - they were lucky to win some games in africa - the played so much better 2 years ago when they beat spain and almost won the confederations cup..this will be a long haul back

Concacaf goes out of its way to make as much money as possible... they dont care who wins as long as mexico is in the final they are assured a big payday.

Bob Bradley? Done.

Jürgen Klinsmann hired as coach

Former German national team player and coach Jürgen Klinsmann was named coach of the U.S. men's soccer team Friday, a day after Bob Bradley was fired. "We are excited to have Jürgen as the head coach of our Men's National Team," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a news release. "He is a highly accomplished player and coach with the experience and knowledge to advance the program. Jürgen has had success in many different areas of the game and we look forward to the leadership he will provide on and off the field."

Klinsmann will be introduced at a news conference Monday in New York City.

His first match in charge of the U.S. team will be Aug. 10 against Mexico in Philadelphia.

Edited by eaglejelly

He did well in charge of Germany if I remember correctly. I don't remember how he lost that gig though. Could be just what our team needs.

I don't think he "lost" the gig per se. I think he stepped down. Eaglejelly will know more.

Nice move from US soccer. Now they have a man in charge who knows football (soccer) unlike the last coach.

I thought Leeds was saying that he literally hates the Mexican national team. Easily could be read the other way though.

Well, when somebody says I friggin hate the Mexicans...

Now if he'd have said, I hate the Mexican national team....

Clarification would have been wiser. But I'm not fooled ;)

I don't think he "lost" the gig per se. I think he stepped down. Eaglejelly will know more.

Nice move from US soccer. Now they have a man in charge who knows football (soccer) unlike the last coach.

He took over the German team after Germany had a terrible EURO 2004. He changed the team and how it played dramatically. Prior to the WC 2006 the Press wanted him fired after losing some test games. After the WC everyone wanted him to stay, but he didn't want to deal with the Press anymore and he stepped down.

He did a great job enforcing all the changes against his many critics at the time. His critics say it was his assistant, Joachim Löw who was actually running the team itself.

Klinsmanns only other coaching gig was with Bayern München, where he got fired after a few months. Klinsmann is going to want to make dramatic changes to the US soccer organization. The question is if they are going to let him do that. If not, it may be another short gig

• 2 weeks later...

It was a good second half, but the fundamentals were horrid for most of the night; they snatched a tie from the jaws of victory. If they could take space more appropriately and pull the ball out for a reset rather than taking a bad shot they could have won 4-1. Not even going to get into the should-be red card.

It was a good second half, but the fundamentals were horrid for most of the night; they snatched a tie from the jaws of victory. If they could take space more appropriately and pull the ball out for a reset rather than taking a bad shot they could have won 4-1. Not even going to get into the should-be red card.

Thank god I know my neighbors really well, otherwise they probably would've been pissed or called the cops on me after the screaming and profanity that came out of my mouth following that play.

Sure, it was just a friendly, but its Mexico.

He took over the German team after Germany had a terrible EURO 2004. He changed the team and how it played dramatically. Prior to the WC 2006 the Press wanted him fired after losing some test games. After the WC everyone wanted him to stay, but he didn't want to deal with the Press anymore and he stepped down.

He did a great job enforcing all the changes against his many critics at the time. His critics say it was his assistant, Joachim Löw who was actually running the team itself.

Klinsmanns only other coaching gig was with Bayern München, where he got fired after a few months. Klinsmann is going to want to make dramatic changes to the US soccer organization. The question is if they are going to let him do that. If not, it may be another short gig

Also wasn't Klinsmann doing the job whilst still living out in california, which caused a lot of tension with the German media and a lot of strain on him?

Many people raised the question how can he be doing his job effectibley when he isn't even watching the bundesligue (sorry for the sp! lol)in person iirc. I guess thats why they said lowe was doing most of the work as he was watching all the games.

The thing with coaching the usa is Klinsmann will have to travel to europe anyway since most of his best players a based there anyway.

• 6 months later...

Honestly I didn't even know that the game was happening until after it was over, which is shame because I would have loved to watch. Next the US needs to learn how to win meaningful games.

• 3 months later...

No talk of qualifiers yet. Hmmm.

So we beat Antigua and Barbuda, but I thought that was a terrible match.

Halftime against Guatemala now, up 1-0. Look a lot better than last week, but still not playing good defense. Dempsey is on though.