2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Ott is garbage and Legwand is too expensive.  Matt Greene signed in LA for way too much money.  Moss would've been a good addition; I'm curious where he ends up.  Brandon Yip scored 11 goals in the AHL this year, he's not an NHL player.

Greene is a D man so I don't know why we would be interested. Legwand would be too expensive. Moss would be decent I guess.

Yip actually managed 14 g and 34 pts in the A, but I agree with Tri, he hasn't done anything since 10-11.

I can't understand why anyone is still talking about remaining UFA forwards.  If/when Josefson signs, that makes 14 NHL forwards.  If Lou brings Carter back, that's 15.  Not to mention Boucher and Matteau may have a shot to stick with the team in training camp.

Give it up.  Other than shipping out Ryder or Brunner, this is the group we have.

I can't understand why anyone is still talking about remaining UFA forwards.  If/when Josefson signs, that makes 14 NHL forwards.  If Lou brings Carter back, that's 15.  Not to mention Boucher and Matteau may have a shot to stick with the team in training camp.

Give it up.  Other than shipping out Ryder or Brunner, this is the group we have.

Well..Lou, himself, said they might still be looking to add a forward (not including signing Carter or Josefson). Who knows what other moves he could make be it buyouts or trades.

Well..Lou, himself, said they might still be looking to add a forward (not including signing Carter or Josefson). Who knows what other moves he could make be it buyouts or trades.

exactly, multiple sources said we were in on vrbata, to me that means Lou was considering making a move. Now that vrbata is off the table we could very well be done but it's not like Lou has been sitting on his hands after signing cam and havlat.

Lou should look at the Chicago situation with 2010 first round pick Kevin Hayes, 6'3, 205pounds score 27 goals 38 assists in 40 games with Boston college last year. (and Lou loves his Boston college players)

I guess he doesnt want to sign with the Hawks cause he wants to play in the NHL next season but there's simply no room for him anytime soon in chicago. So if the Hawks can't sign him by August 15th... Lou could put in an offer there.

Cmon Lou make it happen

Edited by SterioDesign

Lou should look at the Chicago situation with 2010 first round pick Kevin Hayes, 6'3, 205pounds score 27 goals 38 assists in 40 games with Boston college last year. (and Lou loves his Boston college players)

I guess he doesnt want to sign with the Hawks cause he wants to play in the NHL next season but there's simply no room for him anytime soon in chicago. So if the Hawks can't sign him by August 15th... Lou could put in an offer there.

Cmon Lou make it happen

He'll probably go to Calgary who have his college linemates Gaudreau and Arnold

Devils aren't exactly brimming with spots at the moment either.  I mean, I think it's a good fit, NJ has like 6 guys who they can't bet on to play more than 65 games, but yeah I imagine there will be other offers.  I'm not so sure about that Calgary thing.

Devils aren't exactly brimming with spots at the moment either. I mean, I think it's a good fit, NJ has like 6 guys who they can't bet on to play more than 65 games, but yeah I imagine there will be other offers. I'm not so sure about that Calgary thing.

Devils will have 3 top 9 spots for grabs next year assuming they don't trade Ryder or Brunner. He's probably better than Matteau at this stage, but Boucher? Unless the devils offer him crazy money, there is no reason to come here

exactly, multiple sources said we were in on vrbata, to me that means Lou was considering making a move. Now that vrbata is off the table we could very well be done but it's not like Lou has been sitting on his hands after signing cam and havlat.

Could you cite for me these multiple sources?  I never heard anyone credible saying the Devils were in on Vrbata.  Gulitti said he never heard anything.

Could you cite for me these multiple sources? I never heard anyone credible saying the Devils were in on Vrbata. Gulitti said he never heard anything.

Puck Daddy said something like Devils were in on Vrbata because they were trying to sign every Czech player over 30. Not sure if he heard it from anywhere reliable. Id say Lou is done with forward signings but would still look to get someone like maybe Raphael Diaz

Puck Daddy said something like Devils were in on Vrbata because they were trying to sign every Czech player over 30. Not sure if he heard it from anywhere reliable. 

Sounds to me like that might be a joke.  :)

There was this guy (Canucks Sportswriter): https://twitter.com/benkuzma/status/484423038943772673 but I don't know how much faith we can put into his statement, especially in reference to the Devils.

Claiming "multiple sources" were saying the Devils were in on Vrbata is almost certainly wrong.

Could you cite for me these multiple sources?  I never heard anyone credible saying the Devils were in on Vrbata.  Gulitti said he never heard anything.

To be fair, Gulitti never hears anything.  He's good for the basic template of covering the team in-season and he helps follow up on stuff, but he never ever breaks anything of substance.  He doesn't seem to have much intel outside of the rink.  I mean, Brooks has beaten him several times with breaking stuff, on the Devils.

I can say there's been rumors of Lou having a Clowe/Cammalleri like crush on Vrbata for years, even back when he was with Carolina.  So there might have been something.

I don't think we're expressly done (although I don't think there will be any big moves).  I think it's possible there's a move to shuffle the forwards deck a little bit further with perhaps a trade and I think Lou is going to keep tabs on the possibility of adding a depth defenseman perhaps.

To be fair, Gulitti never hears anything. 

that's not true. he rarely reports anything early from his rumors. but he's got an ear on the devils. as for brooks - he has more of a national ear by nature of the rangers being a more nationally viewed team.

that's not true. he rarely reports anything early from his rumors. but he's got an ear on the devils. as for brooks - he has more of a national ear by nature of the rangers being a more nationally viewed team.

Yeah, this is the way I would characterize it.  For instance, the Devils never officially announced the Mehta hiring but Gulitti claimed he had two sources that would corraborate it.

Again, someone has to find me multiple sources.  How were the Bruins in on Vrbata, when they don't even have the cap space to sign their own players?

Gulitti has such a brutal job because there are no internal leaks in NJ. It helps that so few people are in on any discussions within the Devils organization. He works his ass off to find information, but it's tough. He seems to have a good relationship with a few of the Devils players and agents that have given him the story first.

So many reporters around the league have good sources within the organization from Dreger with Nonis to Garrioch and members of the Sens management to name a few, that they can break any story for the team they cover. They also become mouth pieces for that team in the end. 

hockey news saying that ottawa signed him to trade him later

Why would any GM sign any player with the intention of trading him? This is so Esposito like. I don't believe any GM would do this. Trading an asset (of course) but the concept of signing a player just to trade him.  You might get stuck with him.

The part about Clowe in the Schneider article is encouraging: 'Lamoriello said winger Ryane Clowe, who missed the final seven games of last season with a concussion, has recovered. It was Clowe's second concussion of the season and came when he hit his head on the boards after a check from Florida's Quinton Howden Mar. 31.

"He's doing extremely well," Lamoriello said. "No concerns."

Clowe, who signed a five-year, $24.25 million contract with the Devils last season, suffered a concussion on Oct. 13 when he was elbowed in the head by Wnnipeg's Jacob Trouba.'