Take exit 13A or 14 from NJTP NB?

gardenstatepkwy

Having only been to The Rock a handful of times I'm still not really sure what the best way to get there coming from south of Newark on the TP.

The few times I have driven there I usually get off at 13A to 1-9 to Rt 21. All the directions I've seen listed on the Devils website or the Prudential Center's site say to get off north of that.

So what's the easiest way to get there?

13A? Isn't that the Jersey Gardens exit?

If you must drive you'd be better off getting off at exit 14(and nothing past that). Found this:

Take Exit 14 toward I-78. Take the center ramp after the toll booth toward US-1-9 / RT-21. Keep right to stay on the ramp toward US-1 / US-9. Continue on US-1-9 approx 3 miles and exit on the right onto RT-21 McCarter Hwy

http://www.methockey.com/PruCenter%20Directions.htm

Personally, I do my best just to avoid to the Turnpike altogether and take the GSP to 140 and then take 22 straight into Newark.

For the Parkway from the south, I've found I prefer exit 142A to 140. 22 can get messy during rush hour, but taking 142A to 78 to 21/McCarter Highway has been pretty solid for me when I go that way.

For the Turnpike, I get off at exit 14, but that's because that's my exit for work, so I know where I am. 13A is probably giving you a longer trip on local roads. I think most "official" directions I've seen have you getting off on 15W or 15E, which I think puts you in Newark north of the Rock, while I prefer parking south to make a quick escape post-game.

• 1 month later...

Ya Im a fan of 15E because Raymound rarely gets traffic until you are 4 blocks from the arena and you can park on the East side of Penn then walk over. If you are a fan of MMM Bellos or Hells kitchen this would be your route.

Yep, I always take 15E when I head to the Rock from the TP.

The key is always to avoid 21, 21 sucks. Take Broad if you can, take exit 56 if you come from 78, just don't take 21, it's always the worst option.