#1 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...y.asp?id=115048

The NHL has filed a counter-proposal to the NHL Players' Association offer, upping the salary cap to $42.5 million. The NHL has told NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow that it's a final offer with no flexibility or room to negotiate and must have a response by Wednesday at 11am.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#2 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,840 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:35 PM

Damn them. There won't be a season.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#3 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

well, let's see how it plays out. I still like the 3/5 agreement with somewhat looser trigger. Perhaps a 2/6 agreement would get accepted. 24% rollback, 2 years under the players plan, if it doesn't work, 6 years under the owners plan. Overall the CBA wouldn't be that long.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...y.asp?id=115051

2/15/2005

The following is a letter NHL commissioner Gary Bettman sent to NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow on Tuesday.

Dear Bob:

We attempted to reach out to you with yesterday's offer of a team maximum cap of $42.2MM ($40MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits) which was not linked to League-wide revenues. As Bill told Ted, "de-linking" a maximum team salary cap from League revenues and total League-wide player compensation has always been problematic for us, especially since we cannot now quantify the damage to the League from the lockout. This presents the risk we will pay out more than we can afford. As you know, if all 30 teams were to spend to the maximum we proposed, and if the damage to our business is as we discussed at our meetings in New York, then the League would continue to lose money.

I know, as do you, that the "deal" we can make will only get worse for the players if we cancel the season - whatever damage we have suffered to date will pale in comparison to the damage from a cancelled season and we will certainly not be able to afford what is presently on the table. Accordingly, I am making one final effort to reach out to make a deal that will let us play this season.

We are increasing our offer of yesterday by increasing the maximum individual team cap to $44.7MM ($42.5MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits). This offer is not an invitation to begin negotiations - it's too late for that. This is our last effort to make a deal that's fair to the players and one that the Clubs (hopefully) can afford. We have no more flexibility and there is no time for further negotiation.

If this offer is acceptable, please let me know by 11:00 A.M. tomorrow, in advance of my scheduled press conference. Hopefully, the press conference will not be necessary.

Sincerely,

Gary B. Bettman

==

I am assuming this offer still has the soft cap at $34M and then taxes and just changed the total max up $2.5M. It still sucks.

Edited by PeteyNice, 15 February 2005 - 06:49 PM.

"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#5 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:51 PM

The chess game is down to 2 queens and 2 kings...

NHL made its "final" offer....even thought Im still skeptical it is their final offer....let the game$ begin!!!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#6 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

It's as good an offer as the union is going to get. 40 million isn't even a possibility if the season is canceled.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

wild theory, perhaps the NHLPA is trying to wait the league out. That way the 4-6 weakest teams contract, the cap could be set fairly high like at 46-47, and rosters could be expanded enough to where there is really no job losses.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

More like deluded ^7^ dream. The PA has no desire for the league to contract, even with idiot players shooting their gigantic Chelios mouths off about overexpansion.

#9 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

Why don't we just have six teams again, eh?

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#10 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

well, if this offer isn't accepted, then I would say yes, the NHLPA is looking for contraction, only if roster expansion for the remaining teams covers the losses.

This whole mess is tough to figure out, but if this is rejected then you know Goodenow is digging in to eliminate Bettman and his southern cronies just like Gary is trying to break the PA.
Posted Image

Edited by '7', 15 February 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#11 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

Roster expansion ??
What would be the purpose, and benefit, of that ?

I suspect the players will accept, and we will have this crazy shortened season.

#12 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

to save jobs for the NHLPA, all the while eliminating Bettman and his obstructionists.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

Roster expansion? When has that ever been discussed? What are you talking about? Even if rosters did expand, players would want less playing time and less ability to get ice time to prove themselves worthy of a big contract? The NHLPA would NEVER look for contraction unless it had some bizarre Laffer curve type of theory. Considering how bizarre their negotiation strategy has been so far, I guess it's not of the realm of possibility.

Teams cannot just 'contract'. These clubs aren't in bankruptcy yet. The league doesn't have the money to buy them out either.

#14 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

I'm sorry, let me clarify - what would be the benefit to the sport ?

#15 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

I'm sorry, let me clarify - what would be the benefit to the sport ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

deeper rosters, less teams, higher quality play.

in other news, 2+2 is 4.

#16 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

Roster expansion?  When has that ever been discussed?  What are you talking about?  Even if rosters did expand, players would want less playing time and less ability to get ice time to prove themselves worthy of a big contract?  The NHLPA would NEVER look for contraction unless it had some bizarre Laffer curve type of theory.  Considering how bizarre their negotiation strategy has been so far, I guess it's not of the realm of possibility.

Teams cannot just 'contract'.  These clubs aren't in bankruptcy yet.  The league doesn't have the money to buy them out either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It hasn't been discussed much, but the players absorbed by other teams wouldn't be playing 30 minutes a night. Kelly Buchberger won't be taking away ice time from Keith Tkachuk. But certain players like Legwand and Ryan Malone would be great additions on somebodys 3rd line.

technically it wouldn't be contraction, probably just merging like with the Barons/North Stars. Only the Predators would merge with every other team.

#17 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

Is it really worth it? How many games are we talking if there is a season--which there won't be--20-25? Why bother?
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#18 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

well if they do play then they have to bend over backwards to squeeze in at least 38 games. To me that's the magic number for legitimacy, but if you have to play hockey on July 12th, so be it.

#19 Elias 2662

Elias 2662

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, would hockey in July really be that bad? I don't think a 20 game season will do good for anyone. However, it would give teams whose players didn't go to Europe an advantage because they won't be tired out of their ass by the end.
"If you're not first, you're last" - Reese Bobby (might as well have been said by Lou Lamoriello)

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

You can't just do that, ^7^. The Predators have an owner, his name is Craig Leopold, and he bought the rights to a franchise in 1997. The NHL would have to buy his franchise out or face a legal nightmare. If they buy the franchise out, for probably around $75 million, they'd never see that money again. That's why no league will ever be contracting teams unless there is a very serious change in the professional sports landscape. There is absolutely no way that improving the game by an imperceptible margin is worth $75 million to the league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users