Ruminations on the first 39.02% of the season

Triumph

Opponents are not going to let Kovalchuk 'set up' and rip shots all day long like you're suggesting.

Which opens things up for other players. The Elias goal on the PP Saturday was possible partially because the D had to respect Kovy's shot. Kovy's a good enough passer that he'll find the open man if there is one. We need to be a little creative, since our point shots aren't scaring anyone.

Larsson is going to play and should play over Foster if it comes to that. Just give him mental health days here and there. This is the price you pay for playing a defenseman in an 18/19 year old season most of the time. Pulling the plug at any point defeats the purpose.

As for goalies, I don't think Moose has been outplaying Marty lately, as it was the case a few weeks earlier. There's an air of randomness to their defensive play and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a run where people don't want Moose in there and want Marty in there instead.

Frankly they suck defensively. Maybe not in bulk, but they can create an opportunity against themselves sometimes even better than the opposing offense can create it themselves. They don't give up that many goals where "player x shoots the puck and beats goalie y". There's normally something epic and hilarious going on

Frankly they suck defensively. Maybe not in bulk, but they can create an opportunity against themselves sometimes even better than the opposing offense can create it themselves. They don't give up that many goals where "player x shoots the puck and beats goalie y". There's normally something epic and hilarious going on

This is funny. I kind of agree ...

Larsson is going to play and should play over Foster if it comes to that. Just give him mental health days here and there. This is the price you pay for playing a defenseman in an 18/19 year old season most of the time. Pulling the plug at any point defeats the purpose.

As for goalies, I don't think Moose has been outplaying Marty lately, as it was the case a few weeks earlier. There's an air of randomness to their defensive play and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a run where people don't want Moose in there and want Marty in there instead.

Didn't we have this discussion last year? The Devils don't suck defensively. Now that Zajac is back, the biggest defensive problem is moved to the 4th line (Carter). Larsson will make his share of horrible mistakes and can be beat 1 on 1, but the team is above average defensively.

Which opens things up for other players. The Elias goal on the PP Saturday was possible partially because the D had to respect Kovy's shot. Kovy's a good enough passer that he'll find the open man if there is one. We need to be a little creative, since our point shots aren't scaring anyone.

That goal had more to do with the fact that the two PKers up top had to respect Foster's shot than it was Kovy's, although both played a part. The two PKers move high to take away Foster's shot and then he moved it to Kovy who whipped the pass to Elias while the lane was still open. I think that's how it went, right?

As for what d-man will sit when we get healthy, well, that's not an issue for at least another 3-4 weeks, so I guess we'll worry about it then, lol.