Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

Just because Tedenby is useless in New Jersey doesn't mean he'll be useless somewhere else. Trade him!

His value is also very low right now, though. His shot isn't nearly at the level of Bergfors' before the Devils dealt him, and his defense is about the same. Bergfors was able to maintain puck possession better along the boards, while Tedenby's quick start-and-stop maneuvers can buy him time with the puck.

If the Devils had tried to deal him after his first real taste of NHL action, he would have netted more. At this point, he'll only bring back something of value if he's packaged with other players/picks... or he's traded to Columbus and Scott Howson thinks he's going to be the next Martin St. Louis.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with Teddy he's so weak on the puck. If you brush his shoulder, he loses the puck. If he hears footsteps, he folds up like a cheap tent. He's an excellent stick handler/has quickness, none of the other "smaller stature" guys (St. Louis, Gionta, Enstrom, etc.)cough it up. You work hard to get it into the O zone, hoping to keep it alive. I'm sure PDB will give him ample opportunity to prove he belongs. I, hope I'm wrong about him, but we'll see soon enough.

What I remember about Tedenby from last season is that he would shoot or pass right into a defender's skates almost every time. He'd carry the puck for a little while and then just dump it right to a defender.

He has great skating and stick handling skills but he freezes once he get's into the attacking zone. I don't think he took his demotion to Albany to well as his numbers didn't really improve too much.

I think Lou should give him one more chance and if he doesn't show any signs of improvement try to package him in with one of our excess of defenders and trade them for a good forward.

Tallinder + Tedenby + Urbom is a pretty decent package and could get us someone nice.

Tedenby is a poorer, smaller version of Maxim Afinogenov. He tries to razzle dazzle in the stick handling department and ultimately gives the puck away. All flash no finish.

He just has to drive to the net and he will find success ala the Giontas and Gerbe.

The difference is that the Giontas and Gerbe have the grit to rush the net. Tedenby has a tendency to try and be too cute.

At around the same age, Brion Gionta was only just getting onto the Devils pro roster, and would put up numbers not that much greater than Tedenby already has. So there's still more time needed to see what will happen.

The difference is that the Giontas and Gerbe have the grit to rush the net. Tedenby has a tendency to try and be too cute.

And thats exactly what I am saying, he needs to work on that in order to succeed. He has to play more of a north to south game and stop being too cute in both zones.

If we can make a good deal, great. But, it doesnt look like we will by opening day.

I think Teddy has a good year. He will get opportunities to play with the PP and maybe the top 6 forwards at times; whereas last year he was stuck with puck-hog Clarkson every time he stepped on the ice.

No offense, but Clarkson doesn't cough up the puck very easily. Teddy, on the other hand craps the bed on occasion.

Right on Clarkson, plus I saw some pretty dandy assists from him last season.

YUP!, look at his assist numbers in the last 3rd of the year and through the playoffs! he's learned to look up and feed the point off his good cycling skills and board work. now can we teach him the breakout pass at the blueline

I feel like Anaheim would want Greene, plus a high end D prospect like Larsson/Merill, then a young NHL forward like Henrique/Josefson in addition to that 2nd. Just my opinion.

True, although as Columbus learned, you tend to get less than market value when you have to trade someone.

Start with Henrique, and that's where it ends for me. Maybe Josefson/Merrill+something else? Whatever the trade would be, it would be terrible.

I would say there's a pretty good chance that we could offer Greene/Tallinder/Gelinas and Josefson, and maybe a second, which I would do. Like the Nash sweepstakes, every team appears to be balking at giving up enough that would make it an even trade under normal circumstances. Evidently, Philly made it known that including Courturier would be a non-starter. However, Anaheim's in a bind by having to trade a player who has demanded a trade.

If Anaheim feels it has to trade him before the season starts (a big if), they're not going to get great value, and my proposed deal might be better than what anyone else is offering.

And to whether anyone says, Ryan's not that good: He's a young player (25) who's a consistent 30 goal/season scorer and has a very favorable contract.

Edited by Daniel

I would say there's a pretty good chance that we could offer Greene/Tallinder/Gelinas and Josefson, and maybe a second, which I would do. Like the Nash sweepstakes, every team appears to be balking at giving up enough that would make it an even trade under normal circumstances. Evidently, Philly made it known that including Courturier would be a non-starter. However, Anaheim's in a bind by having to trade a player who has demanded a trade.

No, there isn't. The Ducks already have 6 defensemen under contract for next season: Beauchemin, Fowler, Sbisa, Souray, Allen, Lydman. They don't want defensemen back at all - that package is a complete non-starter for them.

If Anaheim feels it has to trade him before the season starts (a big if), they're not going to get great value, and my proposed deal might be better than what anyone else is offering.

And to whether anyone says, Ryan's not that good: He's a young player (25) who's a consistent 30 goal/season scorer and has a very favorable contract.

These two quotes are in direct contradiction to one another. Players of Ryan's pedigree don't grow on trees and he's signed to a fair contract. It's not like teams are up against the cap, or even a theoretical future cap - there's a ton of cap room left in the NHL. The Ducks would have to get at least an excellent forward prospect back, then probably a decent NHL forward, plus other stuff. It's just not something the Devils should be even thinking about.

I doubt Ryan would get moved before a new CBA gets ratified because where free agency lands directly affects his value.

These two quotes are in direct contradiction to one another. Players of Ryan's pedigree don't grow on trees and he's signed to a fair contract. It's not like teams are up against the cap, or even a theoretical future cap - there's a ton of cap room left in the NHL. The Ducks would have to get at least an excellent forward prospect back, then probably a decent NHL forward, plus other stuff. It's just not something the Devils should be even thinking about.

'

The difference is that Ryan has demanded a trade. Yes, Anaheim can always tell him tough luck, but they are under some pressure to trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if no one has offered them anything better than what I've suggested. (Talking about how good I think he is, was meant to preempt the contrarian argument that he's not that good).

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the defensemen that Anaheim does have under contract. If none of the defensemen I've mentioned are a significant upgrade over what they already have, then you're right.