MSG in South Jersey

adam85491

Just be glad this isn't the mid 90s when you had to pay to watch the Devils on TV even if you had cable(SportsChannel was a premium station).

I remember we used to have to get that sh!tty little brown cable box from TKR to get Sports Channel.

I remember the channel being listed somewhere in either the 30's, 40's or 50's.

Just be glad this isn't the mid 90s when you had to pay to watch the Devils on TV even if you had cable(SportsChannel was a premium station).

IMO, that awful TV situation for the first 15 or so years of the team being in New Jersey impeded the growth of the club's fanbase tremendously.

Does anyone remember what year it was, exactly, that the Devils finally landed a permanent spot on basic cable? It was only then that more and more fans had a chance to watch the team play on TV. Before then, the only team that was shown on basic cable -- even here in North Jersey -- was the Rangers. The Devils and Islanders were relegated to Sportschannel, which cost extra. And back then most people weren't accustomed to paying extra for anything other than Showtime or other premium movie channels.

Who knows how many more fans we would've had by now had the Devils been on basic cable right from the start.

IMO, that awful TV situation for the first 15 or so years of the team being in New Jersey impeded the growth of the club's fanbase tremendously.

Does anyone remember what year it was, exactly, that the Devils finally landed a permanent spot on basic cable? It was only then that more and more fans had a chance to watch the team play on TV. Before then, the only team that was shown on basic cable -- even here in North Jersey -- was the Rangers. The Devils and Islanders were relegated to Sportschannel, which cost extra. And back then most people weren't accustomed to paying extra for anything other than Showtime or other premium movie channels.

Who knows how many more fans we would've had by now had the Devils been on basic cable right from the start.

I remember they didn't really become widely avaialble until Sports Channel became Fox Sports Channel. This I would say was somewhere in the 94-97 time period.

Even then, it wasnt until the very late 90's (possibly very early 2000's) that cable companies (at least Cablevision) included Sports Channel as part of their standard cable package instead of having to buy a cable bundle. At least this is what I remember but I could be wrong.