Flyers acquire Gagner for Grossman and Pronger contract

ghdi

It's only illegal if the Devils do it.

if a struggling franchise does it, its a smart hockey move and makes sense.

The Devils were the first team to do this and suffered no consequences from it.  So I don't know why Devils fans always get high and mighty when this happens.

Edited by Triumph

The Devils were the first team to do this and suffered no consequences from it.  So I don't know why Devils fans always get high and mighty when this happens.

If you're referring to Malakov/McGillis, that's slightly different in that they were bad contracts - not "dead" contracts.  But that's just semantics.  Still valid.

If you're referring to Malakov/McGillis, that's slightly different in that they were bad contracts - not "dead" contracts.  But that's just semantics.  Still valid.

Malakhov was suspended and clearly had 0 intention of playing NHL hockey ever again; he was not at Devils' training camp.

The bigger difference was we actually had to pay a first rounder to get out of the contract.  We were punished, albeit not by the league.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I fall into the same trap all the time.  I always think that it was the contract Kovy actually had - as absurd as that one was - but in reality it was the one that was voided that was completely egregious that we were punished for.  Wasn't he signed until he'd be like 45?  This board has already talked about how we aren't sure if he's going to hold up for 35.  The contract was head and shoulders above those others.  Many of them are paying for it now with the recapture penalty.  I and others don't think many contracts were fair, but no one thought Kovy's voided one was.  That is the difference.  I just wish they voided the contract and were done with it.  No harm, no foul.

Yeah I did forget about the Malakhov deal, but I as others have stated, we had to add a first to get it done, so there's our penalty.

But I also think about the Hossa deal and then us being burned for Kovy.

Eh its no big deal, just funny how everyone tries to get around the cap and a lot are successful at doing so

Do wonder if Philly will buy out Gagner. Then you can sign him quite cheaply to play RW2, which might fit his abilities better than being a 1C in the West. 

I'm pretty sure they will, and geez Gagner is just so bad at anything defense.  I'd rather have him than Hodgson but I don't love the idea.

I'm pretty sure they will, and geez Gagner is just so bad at anything defense.  I'd rather have him than Hodgson but I don't love the idea.

I don't love it either but beggars can't be choosers. To me next season is all about accumulating assets. Sign your cast-offs on 1 year deals and hope they turn into something you can move at the deadline. Worst case, at least it's not a bunch of AHLers.

Minus 57 the last two years alone. The Flyers probably won't keep him, he's brutal. Wonder how many of his pts cam on PP?

Gagne would be an interesting project but I would rather go after Parenteau. Nifty player, good passer. The wings are interchangeable but you can try this at the beginning of the season.

Cammalleri Zajac Palmieri

Boucher Henrique Parenteau

Elias Josefson Kalinin

Matteau Ruutu/Zubrus Tootoo

Edited by Zubie#8

Gagne would be an interesting project but I would rather go after Parenteau. Nifty player, good passer. The wings are interchangeable but you can try this at the beginning of the season.

Cammalleri Zajac Palmieri

Boucher Henrique Parenteau

Elias Josefson Kalinin

Matteau Ruutu/Zubrus Tootoo

I like it.  I'm interested in that 4th line,  Matteau-Ruutu-Tootoo is a really physical line that can skate, Matteau might be the slowest of those three.  I think the Devils system has a few sleepers at forward that are going to come out in training camp this year.  We need to consult the prospect pool.  

Elias with Josefson is a great idea and I like all of those C and LW pairings.  Kalinin sounds like another Brunner.  

I like it. I'm interested in that 4th line, Matteau-Ruutu-Tootoo is a really physical line that can skate, Matteau might be the slowest of those three. I think the Devils system has a few sleepers at forward that are going to come out in training camp this year. We need to consult the prospect pool.

Elias with Josefson is a great idea and I like all of those C and LW pairings. Kalinin sounds like another Brunner.

I actually wouldn’t call him a Brunner. I looked at almost every possible video of Kalinin and he actually has a very North American style to his game. Hes a north south player who is gritty and loves driving to the net. I think the smaller ice will actually help him. Can't wait to see him at camp and hopefully the preseason. If it doesn't work out he will help out in Albany. Edited by Zubie#8

I actually wouldn’t call him a Brunner. I looked at almost every possible video of Kalinin and he actually has a very North American style to his game. Hes a north south player who is gritty and loves driving to the net. I think the smaller ice will actually help him. Can't wait to see him at camp and hopefully the preseason.

Good thing since he's already being penciled in to your top 9.  Better yet, we're signing PA Parenteau to play top 6.

Or your imagination to an NHL team.

Whats your solution for the RW spot then? Overpaying guys like Frolik in free agency? I wouldn't mind short deals for Parenteau and St. Louis because if it doesn't work out you flip them. No risk.

And as far as Kalinin goes I like his game. I hope he impresses. He also has some good wheels and not bad hands for his type of player.

https://youtu.be/3VJRAopVTYQ

Whats your solution for the RW spot then? Overpaying guys like Frolik in free agency? I wouldn't mind short deals for Parenteau and St. Louis because if it doesn't work out you flip them. No risk.

And as far as Kalinin goes I like his game. I hope he impresses. He also has some good wheels and not bad hands for his type of player.

https://youtu.be/3VJRAopVTYQ

I can't imagine it getting much worse than you do.  But you have a highlight reel from youtube, so it must be true.  But this isn't about lineups.  The Flyers are getting better in the division with already the Pens, Rags, Caps and Isles making the playoffs.  It's going to be a tough division with us and Carolina trying to get better.