The Quest for 91

Devils Pride 26

While ridiculously unlikely, an 8-2 finish (91 pts.) would still be a good bet to get us in.  The Devils would then have the tie-breaker over all four teams (ROW wins), and you'd need three of those teams to get 11 points or fewer the rest of the way:

Toronto (11 or fewer pts. in 8 remaining games):  Still have Philly, Detroit, Boston and a 3 game road trip at the end of the season.

Washington (11 or fewer in 9 remaining games):  Boston, Dallas, Devils, St. Louis and Chicago still remain.

Detroit & Columbus (11 or fewer in 10 remaining games):  Obviously one of these two needs to go on a bit of a tailspin, but neither schedule is a cakewalk.

Mike it's over, devils are done, you don't need to post anymore. How many posts have you posted this season? How annoying is this guy? is it only me?

I don't think it's over, I see 4 teams ahead of us, 2 of which will make the playoffs, and we have ROW tie breaker on 3 of them, likely all if we actually got a few wins.

Winning our games in hand and our game vs Wsh puts us 1 point behind Tor/Wsh. Things "we" control. Overcoming a 1 point gap in 8 games? very feasible.

After that we need a small collapse by Det or Clb to to sneak into the 8th slot. Overcoming 5 points in 10 games. Both of those teams are 5-4-1 in their last 10, if *either* went 5-5 over their next 10, and we did 7-2-1 we would be in. With a little luck, if one went 4-6, we could get in with 6-3-1. So Idk how likely it is, but for me it's not "done".

Edited by squishyx

It's still highly unlikely. The Maple Leafs losing streak has been huge for us. 

The four teams ahead of us all have 80 points. Meaning that's good for 7th.

The issue is that their 6-4 beats our 8-2. Only 2 of the 80 teams need to pull that off.

Edited by Neb00rs

It's still highly unlikely. The Maple Leafs losing streak has been huge for us. 

The four teams ahead of us all have 80 points. Meaning that's good for 7th.

The issue is that their 6-4 beats our 8-2. Only 2 of the 80 teams need to pull that off.

Ah but none of those teams are better then 5-4-1 in their last 10. I think we are still 1-2 games away from being "highly unlikely". I think right now it's almost a coin flip.

Ah but none of those teams are better then 5-4-1 in their last 10. I think we are still 1-2 games away from being "highly unlikely". I think right now it's almost a coin flip.

A coin flip if we go 8-2 that we get in? In that case I would say it's unlikely but doable.

If you mean it's a coin flip whether or not we go 8-2 AND get in then I would say highly unlikely based off the fact that we haven't gone 8-2 since...well, I don't even know.

A coin flip if we go 8-2 that we get in? In that case I would say it's unlikely but doable.

If you mean it's a coin flip whether or not we go 8-2 AND get in then I would say highly unlikely based off the fact that we haven't gone 8-2 since...well, I don't even know.

Since Rounds 2 and 3 of the 2012 Playoffs..... Depressing, I know.

Apparently Greiss is the probable starter tomorrow.   I'd rather play him than Smith.    I would love to see 4 or 5 goals and if not a shutout then maybe 1,  no more than 2 allowed from our guys -- a win like that would be a good way to end this home stand (though we play the Isles after this which is almost like playing at home since it's so close) and it would be inspiring, to me at least, heading into the final stretch which will determine whether or not we keep playing in April.

Edited by NJDfan1711

8-2 gets us in under our own power.

6-3-1 (which I think is reasonable for us to do) gets us in with 3 out of 4 teams essentially finishing with 4-6 records. I would say its 40/60 that's how those 4 teams shake out, again none of them are better then 5-4-1, so we just need them to play slightly worse.

I feel like losing 2 of the next 3 or 4 puts us in the hail mary range.

The Devils are still highly unlikely to make the playoffs.

At the very least they've gotten us until tomorrow with a meaningful game.

If we win vs Phoenix and on the Island...then and only then could they be taken off of life support and start to look like a credible threat

Edited by '7'

Since the beginning of last year basically.  Well even then it was only 8-3-1 but close enough.

Even if Toronto somehow goes 5-3 we can pass them with 8-2.  With the way Toronto's going it probably won't take that much to pass them but it'll most likely take that much to pass Detroit or Columbus (they'd have to go 5-4-1 and we'd beat them out on ROW).  Honestly the most unlikely part of that scenario is our going 8-2, and I don't want to hear about schedule either.  

Edited by NJDevs26

Apparently Greiss is the probable starter tomorrow.   I'd rather play him than Smith.    I would love to see 4 or 5 goals and if not a shutout then maybe 1,  no more than 2 allowed from our guys -- a win like that would be a good way to end this home stand (though we play the Isles after this which is almost like playing at home since it's so close) and it would be inspiring, to me at least, heading into the final stretch which will determine whether or not we keep playing in April.

Mike Smith hurt his knee the other night.  Looked pretty bad. 

Mike Smith hurt his knee the other night.  Looked pretty bad. 

Ah, didn't know that.  That's too bad, but good for us.  I've always thought Smith was a good goalie.  A little nuts, but he has potential.  I think the thing that drew me to him was his size and also his puck handling ability, probably after watching Brodeur for 20 years and seeing how valuable that is.

Ah, didn't know that.  That's too bad, but good for us.  I've always thought Smith was a good goalie.  A little nuts, but he has potential.  I think the thing that drew me to him was his size and also his puck handling ability, probably after watching Brodeur for 20 years and seeing how valuable that is.

Smith has been phenomenal in Phoenix, I remember when he was in Tampa and everyone wrote him off as a total bust.  But we will likely face one of the best backups in the league in Greiss, who will likely be a starter sooner than later..  I'd almost rather play against Smith. 

Check this out guys.  Now it looks like 90 points has potential to just be enough.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

Okay, I have some advice for you. From now on follow these steps before posting:

1. Think very hard if you have anything better to do instead. If yes, clear that up before moving on to #2.

2. Read every post from the thread you want to post in. Every post. 

3. Think about those posts; what they mean, what they're saying, why posters have posted them, etc...

4. Repeat step 1.

5. Check back at the thread to see if any new posts have been added for you to read.

6. Think very hard about what you're about to post. Ask yourself how people will respond, whether it's relevant info, whether it's a ? that needs to be asked, etc...

7. If the post has anything to do with chances of the Devils making the playoffs, don't post it. I don't care if the thread is called: "Chances the Devils make the playoffs."

8. Repeat steps 1, 5, and 6.

9. Post.

10. Rinse and Repeat.

Edited by Neb00rs

Check this out guys.  Now it looks like 90 points has potential to just be enough.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

It's not even about what the Devils do anymore.  They need some serious scoreboard help to even have a chance..and if that's going to be like everything else this season, you can expect it all to go against the Devils when it really matters.

I fully expect Pittsburgh and Philly to lose tonight.

It's not even about what the Devils do anymore.  They need some serious scoreboard help to even have a chance..and if that's going to be like everything else this season, you can expect it all to go against the Devils when it really matters.

I fully expect Pittsburgh and Philly to lose tonight.

I've pointed it out already, but this team has actually gotten a lot of help.  They just never did nearly enough with it.  If they had gone something like 12-7-2 instead of 9-9-3 in their last 21, they'd be in pretty good shape.  The fact that they're still not dead yet tells you all you need to know...the only reason they're not is because the teams around them haven't really done that much better.

Here's what the standings looked like 21 games ago.  They were 11th in conference then and they're 11th now:

http://gelliott.ca/sports/nhl2013_14/nhlStandingsDate.php

PLAYOFF CHANCES OVERALL: 17.2%

Here's what our chances are if we finish out the season with the following records.

8-0-0: 98.2%

7-0-1: 92.2%

7-1-0: 80.0%

6-0-2: 77.3%

6-1-1: 57.7%

5-0-3: 54.4%

You realize they won't be finishing with any of those records, right? They just lost to minor leaguers wearing Islander jerseys.

89 points or fewer, you're on the outside looking in most likely.  90 points gives you a better than 50% chance at making it.

Detroit: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Toronto: 4-1-1 or worse to miss; 4-0-2 or better to make it

NY Rangers: 1-5-1 or worse to miss; 1-4-2 or better to make it

Philadelphia: 2-7-0 or worse to miss; 2-6-1 or better to make it

Columbus: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Washington: 4-3-1 or worse to miss; 4-2-2 or better to make it

New Jersey: 6-2-0 or worse to miss; 6-1-1 or better to make it

You realize they won't be finishing with any of those records, right? They just lost to minor leaguers wearing Islander jerseys.

That's a whole different argument and wasn't my point.  Just pointing out what it would take to make the playoffs.  BTW, what's Columbus's excuse for losing to them?  At least we got a point out of it.

Edited by Mike Brown