GDT: New Jersey @ Edmonton - 1/11/12

NJCroMag

i was looking at the first half and came up with wins/losses vs. teams that are currently in/out

basically most of our SO wins were against teams who were out

our record vs. teams who are in is below .500

im not saying anything here, i did compare the rags 1st half and i have had a basic stat class

i didnt count up all of the 3rd period chernobyls; this to me is pretty important to figure out why...

hockey doesnt lend it self to stats for me also because of the quick play, tom renney mentioned how adam is +9 dont mean nothing to me hes a rookie on a roll

Edited by lazer

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I acknowledged his strong second half last season too as it happened, multiple times.

I've never been "anti-Chuk"...I've just never been a Kovalchuk fanboy. I didn't want him back based off what I saw when he first got here, but I'll always root for him to succeed as long as he wears the red & black. What Devil fan would want him to suck or struggle?

I wasn't accusing you personally of anything CR. Its just the hate is out for Kovy all the time and everyone who bashed him and said he's a failure and that we need to get rid of him and that we made a great mistake, are nowhere to be seen now...or at least they avoid the subject. I thought it was stand up that you took the time to point out his current success when you could have denied or avoided it.

I also definitely think that while one side of the Kovy hating Dev fans want Kovy to succeed, they also take pleasure in seeing him fail so they can be "right" and fly on to the boards and let everyone know.

I wasn't accusing you personally of anything CR. Its just the hate is out for Kovy all the time and everyone who bashed him and said he's a failure and that we need to get rid of him and that we made a great mistake, are nowhere to be seen now...or at least they avoid the subject. I thought it was stand up that you took the time to point out his current success when you could have denied or avoided it.

I also definitely think that while one side of the Kovy hating Dev fans want Kovy to succeed, they also take pleasure in seeing him fail so they can be "right" and fly on to the boards and let everyone know.

I'll always take being wrong about a player I had reservations over, over being right and watching the Devils suffer for it. We still won't whether Kovy was the right move for quite a while, really, but clearly he's looking more and more like what everyone was hoping for when he re-signed. Hard not to feel optimistic.

Tri said it well, in that we are now seeing the player the Devils had in mind when they re-signed him. His first season, despite the PPG average, he never looked comfortable or seemed to fit in. We know how rough the first half of last season was for him. He was better in the second half, and I applaud Lemaire for trying to teach him the finer points of the game (and Kovy for being receptive), to get him be a better all-around player, but even though he WAS better in the second half, he still didn't seem that comfortable...something still felt like it was missing. And though some fans want to make it sound like the Devils were in a playoff race, and that Kovy was trying to will them in, that's not really true...last season's second half, fun as it was, was effectively garbage time, and the Devils never pulled closer than six points back, with a lot of teams in the mix. He's now producing when it's really needed.

I think, for the first time, we are truly seeing the Kovy that played for Atlanta, with no adjustment issues lingering. And like I said, that means we'll have to deal with WTF moments, or series of WTF moments from time-to-time. But there's a big difference between putting up 60-70 points and having to deal with that, as opposed to 80-90...those WTF moments get easier to stomach.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'll always take being wrong about a player I had reservations over, over being right and watching the Devils suffer for it. We still won't whether Kovy was the right move for quite a while, really, but clearly he's looking more and more like what everyone was hoping for when he re-signed. Hard not to feel optimistic.

Tri said it well, in that we are now seeing the player the Devils had in mind when they re-signed him. His first season, despite the PPG average, he never looked comfortable or seemed to fit in. We know how rough the first half of last season was for him. He was better in the second half, and I applaud Lemaire for trying to teach him the finer points of the game (and Kovy for being receptive), to get him be a better all-around player, but even though he WAS better in the second half, he still didn't seem that comfortable...something still felt like it was missing. And though some fans want to make it sound like the Devils were in a playoff race, and that Kovy was trying to will them in, that's not really true...last season's second half, fun as it was, was effectively garbage time, and the Devils never pulled closer than six points back, with a lot of teams in the mix. He's now producing when it's really needed.

I think, for the first time, we are truly seeing the Kovy that played for Atlanta, with no adjustment issues lingering. And like I said, that means we'll have to deal with WTF moments, or series of WTF moments from time-to-time. But there's a big difference between putting up 60-70 points and having to deal with that, as opposed to 80-90...those WTF moments get easier to stomach.

No we don't know if he is the right move for maybe years. Nor am I saying he is always going to play like this. This may be a hot streak he falls from but I hope not. I'm just applying my comments to his good play right now and not making more out of it than it is. WTF moments will be there yes...but they have certainly been hard to come by since he shot a puck into our net.

For what it's worth, he's always been hot or cold from what I can remember. I'm sure that this is a hot streak, but that's what you get with Kovalchuk.

He may be a 50 goal scorer, but he's certainly never scored goals in every other game. It's always been groups of 2 goal games followed by droughts.

For what it's worth, he's always been hot or cold from what I can remember. I'm sure that this is a hot streak, but that's what you get with Kovalchuk.

He may be a 50 goal scorer, but he's certainly never scored goals in every other game. It's always been groups of 2 goal games followed by droughts.

I think Kovy has only had 1 2 goal game so far this season and it was due to an ENG. I see that changing soon though. He's feeling it now.

This is not true at all. Like any player he had droughts and streaks on the Thrashers and he had his share of 2 goal games but for the most part he has been the type of player to score that one big goal. Throughout his career he has been a consistent goal scorer throughout the entire season.