29 replies to this topic

#21 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

How many more years do you guys think he has left? two, maybe three? I honestly seriously doubt the Devils will be in a WC while Marty is still playing. We all know NBC doesn't think muchof the Devils as eveident to a few years back when they switched Devils/Sharks (when both teams were 1st place teams) in favor for Philly/Rags. That was the day I started to drink the "NHL hates the Devils" kool aid.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

Even in the NY Metro area Devils/Rangers is not even a top sports story. Its a know quantity to a small audience.

NBC is not going to risk damaging the WC franchise to a non-media market team like NJ-Anaheim-San Jose.

They will try to draw from the greatest potential pool of sports viewers

You contradict yourself when there is the greatest pool of viewers in the largest media market in the United States.

I'm well aware that Devils/Rangers is not a top sports story. But the Winter Classic is an EVENT and that brings an entirely different meaning to the game

#23 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

Top Media Markets

Rank TV Households

1 New York, NY 7,493,530

9 Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) 2,335,040
23 Pittsburgh, PA 1,154,950

4 Philadelphia, PA 2,955,190
7 Boston, MA (Manchester, NH) 2,410,180

3 Chicago, IL 3,501,010
11 Detroit, MI 1,890,220

23 Pittsburgh, PA 1,154,950
52 Buffalo, NY 633,220

Funny. The greatest potential viewership when comparing media markets involved in the WC, a NJD v NYR would have the largest potential pool FROM THE TEAMS INVOLVED.

I understand your point, but come on now.

#24 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Top Media Markets

Funny. The greatest potential viewership when comparing media markets involved in the WC, a NJD v NYR would have the largest potential pool FROM THE TEAMS INVOLVED.

I understand your point, but come on now.

Your correct on the surface, but digging deeper:

New Jersey is not a media market, its only about 60% NY and 40% Philly. In addition, its not really a hockey market in terms of media coverage. Devils vs Rangers takes a back seat even in the New York market behind Giants, Jets, Knicks in terms of coverage in the Winter.

I would love for the Devils to be in the WC, but from a business standpoint of the league and NBC is just isn't going to happen.

It will be the Rangers and another major market team,
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#25 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

As much as I want to see it happen, the only way I can ever envision us in a Winter Classic anytime soon is either:

a) We're defending Cup champions and Marty has made it clear that it's his final season (retirement tour, basically)

or b) NHL/NBC decide to milk this cash cow completely dry and do multiple games in one day.

Even then, we're talking a three-team market, all of whom will want to be involved, for a two-team game, with NBC likely wanting the Rangers and the Rangers only versus another big market team (LA, Philly, etc.) to capitalize on ratings.

I've personally been wondering about the feasibility of a double-header at the Meadowlands Stadium, Devils/Islanders and Rangers/whoever (or Devils/Rangers & Islanders/whoever or Devils/whoever & Rangers/Islanders). If they're going to ultimately wind up doing two outdoor games in the same day, might as well be at the same place too.

I don't think the NHL has to be fair and give another WC to the Western Conference until they feel comfortable enough going against bowl games to do it - a noon start on the East on New Year's Day is a 10 AM start in Denver, which is a bit ridiculous.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#26 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

They have to wait for that hotel to be done, too. I can see the Devils getting an All-Star game, but I'm thinking it won't be for another 4-5 years. I mean hell, we haven't had one in 26 years. We are due.

From what I heard there is nowhere for folks to stay in Newark. I can't see how building a Marriot is going to house that many folks. People wil lbe staying at the airport etc.
How bout us hosting the draft??

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#27 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

From what I heard there is nowhere for folks to stay in Newark. I can't see how building a Marriot is going to house that many folks. People wil lbe staying at the airport etc.

There's hotels in Newark, and the Marriott will certainly help, but I get the feeling that if we do get an All-Star Game, it's going to piggyback on NYC anyway and that's where a majority of out-of-staters will probably stay.

Even if that's not the case, hotels at the airport are less than a 10 minute train ride to the arena, and just about every other stop on the NJ Transit has hotels nearby as well.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#28 mac760

mac760

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I think the draft is a trial run to hosting an all star game.

The Hilton in the background and attached to Penn Station would seem pretty close to me.

#29 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Between the Gateway Hilton, the Robert Treat, and the proposed new Marriott that would be three decent hotels in downtown within easy distance of the arena. Add on the Comfort Suites in North Newark and the Hampton in Harrison and you've got a very decent start to the necessary number of nearby beds. If the airport hotels are included then there are plenty of beds including several that are quite nice.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#30 njdevilz4

njdevilz4

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

I would love to be part of a WC, but NBC won't even put us on their Sunday weekly programming and Versus doesn't even put us on in the playoffs (although this year I think it had something to do with Comcast and the Flyers). WC is geared toward the average sports fan to watch hockey played outdoors, I'm sure if it was up to real hockey fans they would love to see Devils v. Rangers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users