Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1121 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm still thinking New Years Eve start if things go well. There's a reason why they only cancelled through the 30th and not all of December.

1dun.jpg

#1122 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

:puke:

Winona_Ryder__10379.jpg

jail.gif

Edited by Masked Fan, 11 December 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#1123 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm still thinking New Years Eve start if things go well. There's a reason why they only cancelled through the 30th and not all of December.

Yeah, because they didn't want in headlines 'all of 2012 is canceled'.

I know it'd seemingly be a scripted start of the season if they dropped the puck on New Year's Eve but we've said that before too...the last cutoff date (the 15th) would have been a nice Saturday day to begin, ten days before Christmas so people would get holiday shopping in.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1124 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Well not on TV anyway, if you gets SIRIUSXM they talk about the CBA and other hockey stuff there. But yeah you'd think the TV network would 'at least' show some of the TSN coverage of meetings and whatnot. I guess they just want to maintain total neutrality somehow.

Unfortunately for me, I don't get the hockey channel on SiriusXM because it costs extra. Are there any particular shows on the other SiriusXM channels to listen to that talk a lot of hockey?

#1125 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

Locked out? So are they! Might as well view their photos!

http://bustedcoverag...ette-47-photos/

1dun.jpg

#1126 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Unfortunately for me, I don't get the hockey channel on SiriusXM because it costs extra. Are there any particular shows on the other SiriusXM channels to listen to that talk a lot of hockey?

I just get the subscription off my computer and smartphone, don't have it in my car so I only pay the one flat fee. There's too many channels to really know but I don't think there's another hockey one per se.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

The NHL didn't want mediators um...five days ago? How have things changed in the last five days unless they've 'already' had secret meetings we don't know about. I fear this is just another PR stunt/dog and pony show.

The time for PR stunts is over. It ended on Thursday. It's brass tacks time and they're using the mediators - how have things changed? The NHL stopped lying to the media (i.e. talking to the media)

I know I've been wrong before but I really feel an agreement in principle by Monday. They are so goddamn close.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1128 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

The time for PR stunts is over. It ended on Thursday. It's brass tacks time and they're using the mediators - how have things changed? The NHL stopped lying to the media (i.e. talking to the media)

I know I've been wrong before but I really feel an agreement in principle by Monday. They are so goddamn close.

It makes too much sense to have this settled before Christmas and start on New Year's...but I don't trust the league ever to do anything that makes sense. I do think Bettman wants to start on the 31st or New Year's Day but I'm not sure Fehr and the hardline owners will play along with the script. Especially since Fehr has a history of last-minute negotiating, same as Bettman...and the last minute isn't going to be until early-mid January.

Plus the bad blood on both sides is real, I can't trust ego won't get in the way of an agreement until I actually see them get an agreement.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 December 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#1129 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I was looking around online to get some ice hockey equipment, and noticed that sportsauthority does NOT have anything NHL listed on their site, not even an NHL category... Thought this was funny. Still over priced for hockey equipment anyways.

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#1130 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

According to Aaron Portzline the NHL is meeting with the mediators so that when the NHLPA decertifies they can prove that they negotiated in good faith.

This was posted at HF.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 12 December 2012 - 11:43 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1131 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thats kind of scary, that means they had attempted to make that basis last week too. I hope it isn't just a glaring failure point from the NHLPA that makes the NHL harden even more.

#1132 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

According to Aaron Portzline the NHL is meeting with the mediators so that when the NHLPA decertifies they can prove that they negotiated in good faith.

This was posted at HF.

Someone else already said that wasn't true, he was just retweeting an opinion by one of his followers. This is what passes for journalism during this lockout :P

I mean, I wouldn't put that past either side but that guy doesn't know it for a fact.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 December 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#1133 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I'm not buying it. If the NHLPA wanted to decertify or disclaim interest they would've/should've done so weeks ago.

#1134 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Triumph although i do not agree with everything you say when it comes to which side is right or wrong, i definitely respect what you say. I think we have had the same mind set when it comes to when this lockout ends. Ive been saying for month now that january 1st is going to be the start up date and i think you think the same thing as well. Im curious if you think these negotiations are the ones that ultimately ends the lockout a week or so from now. In my opinion the time to get something done is now, but i dont know if this mediation with the leaders from both sides is the way to get a deal done. I think the owners-players meeting is where we will get progress. What do u think?

#1135 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

This is a good read and makes me laugh an especially loud laugh at Minnesota (although we'd be affected with Kovy as well). But nonetheless, Minnesota is gonna get fvcked hard if existing long-term contracts are targeted, and it makes me ROFL. http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1136 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,510 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

This is a good read and makes me laugh an especially loud laugh at Minnesota (although we'd be affected with Kovy as well). But nonetheless, Minnesota is gonna get fvcked hard if existing long-term contracts are targeted, and it makes me ROFL. http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

Why laugh? Will this really hurt the Devils in 10 years or whenever that Kovy decides to retire or go back to Russia?

Edited by devilsrule33, 12 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1137 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Triumph although i do not agree with everything you say when it comes to which side is right or wrong, i definitely respect what you say. I think we have had the same mind set when it comes to when this lockout ends. Ive been saying for month now that january 1st is going to be the start up date and i think you think the same thing as well. Im curious if you think these negotiations are the ones that ultimately ends the lockout a week or so from now. In my opinion the time to get something done is now, but i dont know if this mediation with the leaders from both sides is the way to get a deal done. I think the owners-players meeting is where we will get progress. What do u think?

Appreciate the respect, and it's mutual, but I don't think the owners help. I think what Kevin Westgarth said about them is accurate - they are not informed. Because ultimately for many of them, it isn't their livelihood. They own other things. They've got their fingers in a million different pies. Rumor has been all along that the players are more informed than either the GMs or owners because they just figure Bettman has their back and the lights will be turned back on when they get turned on. So, no, I don't think having the owners back will help, unless they know the issues and can speak about them intelligently. This has gone on longer than I thought, and maybe longer than the NHL thought, but we're really reaching the end game here, I think - the NHL didn't take its ball and go home like it has the last few times it stopped talks. It didn't propose any two-week moratorium. They're back talking now.

Unless Vanderbeek sells to someone with money I am not at all concerned about this. Even if he doesn't the polarization between rich and poor is going to send the Devils closer to the salary floor than cap.

#1138 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Why laugh? Will this really hurt the Devils in 10 years or whenever that Kovy decides to retire or go back to Russia?

. I think it's valid to speculate that Lou held on to the first rounder for a reason- if that's gonna be the rule, we'd be getting punished twice and Lou may plan to fight it. And yeah, you're right- but what Minnesota did pissed me off to no end. What I should've said is while it would suck to have it affect us because of Kovy, I still have to laugh my ass off at Minnesota because of how much they overpaid and the fact that they ipso facto tampered with Parise throughout the whole process. It would be nice to see a little karma there.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1139 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Re: Parise's contract. I forget, what did the Devils offer him? Maybe this would've negatively affected us too had we re-signed him.

#1140 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

. I think it's valid to speculate that Lou held on to the first rounder for a reason- if that's gonna be the rule, we'd be getting punished twice and Lou may plan to fight it. And yeah, you're right- but what Minnesota did pissed me off to no end. What I should've said is while it would suck to have it affect us because of Kovy, I still have to laugh my ass off at Minnesota because of how much they overpaid and the fact that they ipso facto tampered with Parise throughout the whole process. It would be nice to see a little karma there.

Punished 'three' times really:

A) having the initial contract thrown out
B) being docked the fine and picks because of the initial contract
C) the cap calculation at the end of the deal mitigating any cap benefit from the revised deal

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 December 2012 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users