Who can we trade/sign this off season that's a "Devil" pla

Devs4LordStanley

As you can see, Jagr thrives on PDB's system but he's 42. I know he's a one of a kind player but who plays similar to him? I don't care what people say, Kovy did not fit in so a player like him is out of the question. Ryder, Brunner, Loki are similar to Kovy hockey mentality wise - that's why they did/do suck. The system requires nit&grit, puck possession players. While elite ones don't grow on trees, who's out there? I'd love two of Vanek/Moulson/Cally/Statsny but do they fit the system? Can they learn and adjust to fit in?

As you can see, Jagr thrives on PDB's system but he's 42. I know he's a one of a kind player but who plays similar to him? I don't care what people say, Kovy did not fit in so a player like him is out of the question. Ryder, Brunner, Loki are similar to Kovy hockey mentality wise - that's why they did/do suck. The system requires nit&grit, puck possession players. While elite ones don't grow on trees, who's out there? I'd love two of Vanek/Moulson/Cally/Statsny but do they fit the system? Can they learn and adjust to fit in?

Matt Moulson played and thrived in a defense first system at Cornell. Granted that was in college, but I think if he could do well in that kind of system then those are things you don't lose as you get older. I really think he'd do very well for us.

Yeah I'm going to agree with HOI, I think we have enough 'Devil' type players..

Sign forwards who can actually be counted on to contribute.  

I'd be wary of throwing big money at Ryan though - he seems 'off' since being omitted from the Olympic team.  I don't know if I'd want him signed to lead the offense.

Stastny seems like a no-brainer to me, if he can be acquired the Devils should do everything they can to get him.  Stastny & Zajac as our 1A and 1B centers, allowing Henrique to permanently shift to wing?  Yes please.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Oh oops.

Stastny, Stastny, Stastny

I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Even if Lou pursues him, he's competing with at least five other teams, including Colorado which can offer him more years.  So I would imagine Lou would have to give him something that amounts to between $7-8 million AAV.  While I'd take a chance and overpay for him, I couldn't go too nuts on Lou if he decides it's too much. 

Moulson would absolutely be a great fit here. My only problem is his value might be overinflated because of the high profile nature of the trades he was in this season.

Let's not forget guys, he only has a couple more goals than Ryder and a week ago our fans were crapping down Ryder's neck. But yeah, on the flipside, Moulson's a Parise-like player. Would absolutely benefit the team. Clarkson's current contract is about as high as I'd go for him this offseason.

First line players or bust.

Stastny and/or Ryan

Trade for a youngstar.

We have enough grinders, second line scoring talent, decent enough defense and goaltending.

True, but do you think a "Ryan" would fit? I mean why is Jagr so darn good in this system? He tanked the last two seasons but hasn't this one.

Sure, I'd love an Elite LW-Elite C-Elite RW line but they won't help if they don't fit the system. Could they change to fit in? Possibly, but I don't want to find out in their 3rd year of a 7 year contract if they can't.

Edited by Devs4LordStanley

Fvck Devils players. We need good players. We have a ton of grinders who fit the system. We need good players. 

Also, I think the system thing is overrated. Kovalchuk played well, even though his numbers weren't as good. Especially the Cup year, when he was healthy and comfortable. Jagr's numbers are better this year because he's on the top line instead of the 3rd -- he was good the past two years, even if the numbers aren't there. 

If we can get some combination of Moulson, Statsny. Ryan in the next 2 years, I'll be happy.

Iginla? I know he is UFA and wants a multi year deal that the Bruins can't do because of the cap.

I know he is another older guy, but he is a perfect guy for this team, especially considering the Devils aren't a sexy destination for FA's, but just maybe they can lure Iginla with a 2 year deal.

Edited by hystyk28

First line players or bust.

Stastny and/or Ryan

Trade for a youngstar.

We have enough grinders, second line scoring talent, decent enough defense and goaltending.

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

This is not how hockey works. How is nobody getting that? Learn from the Kovy deal. Learn from how a cup contender fell apart after acquiring a scorer who did not fit the system. Hockey is about systems, and we need to play ours.

I agree which is why I like Iginla. This team needs some finish, guys that are pure shooters.(move along Ryder, I don't mean you.) Players like a Nathan Horton would have fit in nicely. The Lucic types. Obviously, it is tough to get players like this, especially to get them to come to NJ. I'd make a huge push for Iggy, especially if Jagr leaves. I think Iggy may be even more successful than Jags here.

We all know Lou has his plate full this offseason.

Iginla? I know he is UFA and wants a multi year deal that the Bruins can't do because of the cap.

I know he is another older guy, but he is a perfect guy for this team, especially considering the Devils aren't a sexy destination for FA's, but just maybe they can lure Iginla with a 2 year deal.

I like iggy but we need  to get younger. Hard because there are so few that fit.

I would like to see the Devils to try and sign either Stastny, Moulson or Vrbata. I think the would fit in the Devils system no problem.  Who do I think the Devils are going to sign Brian Gionta and maybe Gomez to remake the EGG line

Wait a minute...what cup contender?  The only time this organization has seriously "contended" for the Cup since 03 and not completely flamed out early, or missed the playoffs entirely was 2012; which Kovy was a very, very big part of.  I agree that systems have a part, but at the end of the day, X's and O's will only take you so far...you still need players that have the raw ability and talent to both create and finish offensively.  Right now, the Devils are seriously lacking in that department.   

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.