the Kovalchuk trade

SterioDesign

we look pretty bad now but i just can't imagine if we wouldnt have trade for Kovalchuk 2 years ago... pretty sure we would have finished dead last in the league last year too

i mean i really don't think we'd be a lot better with Cormier who didnt even made the jets roster this season, Bergfors who's all over the place, Oduya who got 3 goals and 23 assists since then and our pick turned out to be Kevin Hayes who's still in college. I think we're better off BY FAR with Kovalchuk now

there's no way with those guys that we could have made the run we had in the 2nd half last year, it was all Kovy.

The Kovy bashers are really out of their minds, our PP is already bad enough, but then who would play the point on the PP if we wouldnt have Kovy now?

anyways eventhough he can make bad plays and all sometimes im really glad we got him, i remember the pre-Kovy era... nothing electric or fancy was happening, Zach is good but he's not bringing the excitement carrying the puck like Kovy is.

the best thing you can say about the trade is what we gave up hasn't amounted to a lot anyway......I don't know if that's a good thing when you trade for a "super star", but yay?:cheers:

The contract I can easily see being quite regrettable at some point in the near future. I remain hopeful however.

Isn't the contract heavily frontloaded? The odds of him playing here until he's 40 for hardly any money at all seem slim to none? So.. We get a super star at a "low" cap hit, and will most likely see him retire in his late 30ies, thus opening up the cap space? Or isn't that how it works?

Isn't the contract heavily frontloaded? The odds of him playing here until he's 40 for hardly any money at all seem slim to none? So.. We get a super star at a "low" cap hit, and will most likely see him retire in his late 30ies, thus opening up the cap space? Or isn't that how it works?

This is his contract

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=339

Next year he gets almost 11 million a year for 6 years. This could be an issue for ownership as they have massive debt obligations wrt to the Rock. Also it's questionable if Kovalchuk is really a "superstar" and will be one for the next 8 years (you can peruse every other post here for much debate on the issue). If he is even just great for the next 8 years, and ownership has no problem paying him (and others) then the contract will be fine assuming he retires when the writing's on the wall. If not, then it could majorly shackle the team for the next 14 years depending on what Kovalchuk does into the end of the deal.

Here's my fear: I don't know the team's finances but the minority owner of the team sold his share for negative 10 million dollars earlier (i.e. he paid 10 million just to get out of the debt obligation as part owner) and that was a major red flag. It's possible Vanderbeek is uncomfortable making a similar long term commitment to Parise given the Rock's revenue hasn't met his expecations. If the Devils lose Parise because they committed to Kovalchuk, I will certainly be fully with the "Kovalchuk contract was a mistake" contingent of the board.

If the Devils lose Parise because they committed to Kovalchuk, I will certainly be fully with the "Kovalchuk contract was a mistake" contingent of the board.

I've always been a big Kovy fan, so I am glad he's here. If it causes us to loose Parise I agree it was probably not a good signing for the franchise however. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :o

we look pretty bad now but i just can't imagine if we wouldnt have trade for Kovalchuk 2 years ago... pretty sure we would have finished dead last in the league last year too

Very, very short sighted view.

We were a playoff team WITHOUT Kovalchuk. We gave up alot of quality players to fit him in the cap, we lost a lot of quality depth players in the trade and most important we lost a TEAM identity and will lose Parise.

We were a playoff team WITHOUT Kovalchuk. We gave up alot of quality players to fit him in the cap, we lost a lot of quality depth players in the trade and most important we lost a TEAM identity and will lose Parise.

Oduya isnt better than anyone on our D. Ask any Thrasher/Jets fan

Cormier COULD be useful on our 4th line

Bergfors is floundering around the league.

I just dont see it Manta

I think the trade is a fair one. If the team did not make that trade, We might get to the playoffs last year, but I don't think the team will win it all. Yes, we lost some good players and draft picks. However, if Larsson is the real deal, then, I will say Lou did a good job on this trade.

I've always been a big Kovy fan, so I am glad he's here. If it causes us to loose Parise I agree it was probably not a good signing for the franchise however. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :o

Agree TOO !!! said it in the kovy thread, if we lose zach the trade loses its punch, we need both these marquee players and scorers. kovy knew this; hopefully zach wants it

Quality....are you serious. The only thing we lost in that Kovalchuk trade was 6.6 million in cap space.

Completely retarded ? Why ? I feel like some members here have been attacking Manta the past couple of months without even reading what he is writing or by focusing on 1 or 2 words and completely forgetting the rest of his post.

Do I completely agree whit what Manta is saying ? Nop, but I can't deny that his posts (as many other ones) is not 100% false and he is actually more than right with some of the things he said.

1st- We were a playoff team without Kovalchuk ? I don't think we had what is needed to be called a playoff team, but we where much more a playoff team than we are now.

2nd- We gave up a lot of quality players ? Yes totally agree. I guess Oduya can do better than what Salvador or Fayne can do or any other rookie we got in Albany that we will bring up. Bergfors was putting the puck in the net when we traded him and I guess that if he had stayed he would've continued to put it in and he would've probably improved instead of Clarkson who has barely managed 18 points last season while Bergfors was putting 36 points while playing 10 games less than Clarkson. Same thing for Zubrus.

3rd- Did we loose our team's identity ? Well with Kovalchuk blindly running up the ice, loosing the puck every 2 seconds, giving the puck to the opposing team players more than he gives it to his teammates and changing while we are in our zone to leave an empty spot bigger than the moon for the opposite teams players to fill in and score and off course all of that with the coach not saying anything because we don't want to hurt him since he is there for 15 years I guess we didn't loose any identity didn't we ? Do you think any other player on the team can do that without being punished ? I personally don't think so. I guess the rest of the players just don't see the difference don't they ?

Before calling people retarded just take the time to read the post and understand it since its a forum :rolleyes:

Edited by SS-SS

Completely retarded ? Why ? I feel like some members here have been attacking Manta the past couple of months without even reading what he is writing or by focusing on 1 or 2 words and completely forgetting the rest of his post.

Do I completely agree whit what Manta is saying ? Nop, but I can't deny that his posts (as many other ones) is not 100% false and he is actually more than right with some of the things he said.

1st- We were a playoff team without Kovalchuk ? I don't think we had what is needed to be called a playoff team, but we where much more a playoff team than we are now.

2nd- We gave up a lot of quality players ? Yes totally agree. I guess Oduya can do better than what Salvador or Fayne can do or any other rookie we got in Albany that we will bring up. Bergfors was putting the puck in the net when we traded him and I guess that if he had stayed he would've continued to put it in and he would've probably improved instead of Clarkson who has barely managed 18 points last season while Bergfors was putting 36 points while playing 10 games less than Clarkson. Same thing for Zubrus.

3rd- Did we loose our team's identity ? Well with Kovalchuk blindly running up the ice, loosing the puck every 2 seconds, giving the puck to the opposing team players more than he gives it to his teammates and changing while we are in our zone to leave an empty spot bigger than the moon for the opposite teams players to fill in and score and off course all of that with the coach not saying anything because we don't want to hurt him since he is there for 15 years I guess we didn't loose any identity didn't we ? Do you think any other player on the team can do that without being punished ? I personally don't think so. I guess the rest of the players just don't see the difference don't they ?

Before calling people retarded just take the time to read the post and understand it since its a forum :rolleyes:

Shut up retard.

• Like 1

i knew this would come, and just like i planned... im gonna ignore it

i'll just let everyone's record post-trade speak for itself. cormier can't make the jets, one of the nhl's worst teams, and bergfors is on his way to being run out of his 4th organization. oduya is an average d man.

Good point. Manta's all like, "Oh, we gave up sooooo much to get Kovalchuk", but really, we didn't. Cormier may be worth something someday, but right now he's not doing much. I liked Bergfors and wanted him to do well, but he hasn't lived up to his hype. Oduya's a decent defenseman but he's no Lidstrom. I'd trade him for a guy like Kovalchuk any day of the week.

And enough of this "the Devils lost their identity" BS. They haven't lived up to their "identity" for years. If anything, bringing in Kovalchuk is an attempt at forging a new identity, and I'm all for that. The Devils that won three Cups are gone. The league has changed, the team has changed, it's time to move on, try to adapt, and hopefully figure out how to succeed in today's NHL.

I get what youre saying... But yes we were a playoffs team with the lowest scoring of the bunch... And we didnt have the young brodeur and the championship team from 10years ago to win games by a goal. We needed more scoring... And we got a beast who can certainly score. We needed a guy who could play the point and hit the net... Rolston couldnt.

We gave up some alright players... Oduya was not playing well at all when he was traded and hes really expendable, theres many many players like oduya in the league... Not too many kovalchuk kind of players...

Obviously the guy is not flawless but hes bringing way more than what left and thats a fact, even from a marketing point of view it was a good move....

How many kovalchuk jerseys are out there now compared to oduya, bergfors and how many of you guys would have gotna cormier jersey?