12374 replies to this topic

#21 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

While those are all great points who knows what the money difference is and I don't think a drawn out process favors the devils, I just don't think Lou likes being used as a bargaining chip

True...and thats the thing, the range of what clubs would be willing to throw at him seems to be so wide that no one really knows what the likely scenario is.

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Reasons Kovy can give us a home team discount over LA:

1. Despite our recent playoff failures we are still not many pieces away from a true cup contender. Yes, LA have some good youngsters but they havent proven anything. They had a decent season last year but almost choked away their playoff spot in the second half of the season. The Devils are guaranteed a playoff spot every single season practically.

2. NJ is closer to Mother Russia capital city than LA, which is better for his mother or family to come over.

3. The NY metro area has more Russians than does LA - by far.

4. Kovy is a family man. He can spend much more time with his two small children playing in our division. Away games in our division dont mean staying in that city over night. He can be home with the fam after each game. Cant do that in LA.

5. Kovy is also a competitor. You can see his enthusiasm when we played the Rags. You can tell he would love games at MSG, Philly. Hes also got games agst Crosby, Ovechkin...games at Mtl, Toronto, and Atlanta (where he still has a home and many friends). LA cannot offer that. The Atlantic Division is the most exciting division to be in.

6. He knows our organization already and has played with Volchenkov and Hedberg. He raved about Lemaire and his wealth of knowledge. Well, Larry Robinson (altho a defensive coach) can offer mental advice to Kovy. Hes also got an offensive minded coach in Johnny Mac.

You can argue LA has a brighter future but id disagree. Afterall, we have the young Parise, who is in the upper class of NHL talent. LA cant say they have a player in his class. Lou just had to tell Kovy he will lock Zach up asap and shed dead weight salary later. So, i just dont see what LA offers except more money lol...but i dont think Kovy is that type of guy.

LA can't say they have a player in his class???? Do you follow the Kings??? Drew Doughty Norris Candidate? Dustin Brown? Anze Kopitar??

The biggest thing LA offers that we can't: He wants to play in LA.

Edited by MantaRay, 02 July 2010 - 10:13 AM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 run_to_the_ditch

run_to_the_ditch

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Kovy has a short list of teams he wants to sign with. Did last seaon hurt him...that one is hard for me to say. I mean the guy averaged a point per game while here, he was one of the biggest names the Devils ever traded for so I think its unfair to say he didnt work out. Like I said, a point per game and people expected alot more from him like he was going to score a hat trick every night. How long did it take for the Devils players themselves to stop standing around watching him?

It's so hard to tell what will happen. Part of me thinks the longer this drags out with LA the more of a chance NJ has to sign him because Kovy and LA could start to disagree on certain things and it could turn into more of an arbitration hearing and get ugly. But on the other hand with LA not appearing to do too much right now with the free agents they could be locking the deal down with a hush hush verbal agreement.
"Actually I dont remeber being born, it must have happened during one of my blackouts." Jim Morrison

#24 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

LA can't say they have a player in his class???? Do you follow the Kings??? Drew Doughty Norris Candidate? Dustin Brown? Anze Kopitar??

None of those players are in Parise's class. Im mad you even put Dustin Brown in there lol...i mean, really? Its not even close.

#25 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

None of those players are in Parise's class. Im mad you even put Dustin Brown in there lol...i mean, really? Its not even close.

Yes, god forbid I compare the Captain of another team to Zach. My word! Blasphemy!!!
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#26 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Like I said, a point per game and people expected alot more from him like he was going to score a hat trick every night.

Didn't he score a one-goal hat trick early in his stay? :P
Actually, that kind of shows you just how crazy everybody felt.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Yes, god forbid I compare the Captain of another team to Zach. My word! Blasphemy!!!

Sure, i can play this game too. Hmm, lemme see, how about Zach Parise = Bryan McCabe ...Wow, you were right!

Edited by devlman, 02 July 2010 - 11:13 AM.

#28 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

I keep refreshing HF, NJDEVS, and Twitter... fact is, no one knows what Kovy wants, where he wants to play, how much money he wants, and which teams are actually giving him offers.

I just wish he'd sign somewhere so we don't have to waste our time wondering.

#29 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

From the Puck Daddy live feed:

Wyshynski: By the way: LA Times reported the Kovalchuk is asking for $10 million a year for 10 years. Which is like whoa.

Two words, Hell and No
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#30 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I keep refreshing HF, NJDEVS, and Twitter... fact is, no one knows what Kovy wants, where he wants to play, how much money he wants, and which teams are actually giving him offers.

agreed. At this point we really know nothing. It's not worth getting obsessive about it, but for some reason I can't resist.

#31 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

Sure, i can play this game too. Hmm, lemme see, how about Zach Parise = Bryan McCabe ...Wow, you were right!

Apparently you can't.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#32 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Apparently you can't.

Your severe lack of hockey intelligence seems to be pissing alot of people off.

"Dustin Brown is like Parise"

"No he's not. I'm mad you even said that."

"He's the captain of an NHL team, of course he is"

"Brian McCabe is also a captain of an NHL team"

"It doesn't work like that"

:blink:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#33 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

Same...being so unproductive at work. Thankfully tomorrow is the weekend. I'm not sure if I could pull off 3+ days of this without falling way behind

Edited by Devsfan118, 02 July 2010 - 12:47 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#34 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) is saying that the Kings are closing in on a deal with Kovy.

Can't say its a reliable source but hey it hurts to read this.

Edited by SS-SS, 02 July 2010 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#35 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

I've always thought the only way Kovy would sign here is with a 3-year deal to see if we could win it & still be a free-agent again if we did not.

Otherwise, with newborn(s), he might want to lock into a place that he enjoys & will live there after.

so, there you have it. another speculative, non-fact based posting. Don't you wish you could now have those 30-seconds back ?

#36 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Sweet, if Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) says he is close with the Kings, that REALLY means Kovy is on the phone with Lou right now finishing up the deal! :cheers:
Posted Image Posted Image

#37 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Sweet, if Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) says he is close with the Kings, that REALLY means Kovy is on the phone with Lou right now finishing up the deal! :cheers:

+1. I like this outlook

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#38 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Kings apparently going after Mark Eaton right now, since they couldn't sign Paul Martin.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#39 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Kings apparently going after Mark Eaton right now, since they couldn't sign Paul Martin.

They already signed Scuderi last season. They're loading up on defensive d-men from the Pens.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#40 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Sweet, if Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) says he is close with the Kings, that REALLY means Kovy is on the phone with Lou right now finishing up the deal! :cheers:

I'm waiting on the twitter update or facebook update or newjerseydevils.com update or txt message and last but not least for this site to crash and I'll know we got him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users