All MLB Thread

devilsrule33

Interesting day for the Twins, they lose Joe Nathan for the year due to TJ surgery but lock up Joe Mauer for 8 years, $184M. Good for Minnesota, and its good for baseball to see some of the small to mid-market teams keep their superstar talent instead of losing them to the big dogs of free agency.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting day for the Twins, they lose Joe Nathan for the year due to TJ surgery but lock up Joe Mauer for 8 years, $184M. Good for Minnesota, and its good for baseball to see some of the small to mid-market teams keep their superstar talent instead of losing them to the big dogs of free agency.

Nice that a mid-market team locked up a star player, but 8 years-$184 million is still ridiculous any way you slice it. It's also a ridiculous system when we applaud the Twins signing a giant superstar when another team can lock up 5-6 guys with large contracts (the Yankees with A-Rod, Jeter, C.C., A.J. and Mo).

Nice that a mid-market team locked up a star player, but 8 years-$184 million is still ridiculous any way you slice it.

I don't think its all that bad. The years seem okay - they have him locked up until hes 35, which is roughly around the age catchers start to fall off, and if they must, moving him to 1B some time down the road shouldn't be an issue since his bat would play fine there. I think you can easily make a case that hes being overpaid - I don't know how its broken down, but that's an average salary of $23M per year, which would mean he would need to be worth around +6.5 to +7 wins each year to live up to that salary, which is do-able for him right now, but who knows if he'll be still putting up those kind of win values in the latter years of the deal; the longer he sticks at catcher then the more do-able it should be since that's such a premium position, but a move to 1B would likely bring down his value enough to not be worth that kind of annual salary.

Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

With baseball season starting in less than a week, anyone wanna lay out division/wild card predictions? I'll go first....

American League

AL East: New York Yankees

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: Seattle Mariners

AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

National League

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies

NL Central: St. Louis Cardinals

NL West: Colorado Rockies

NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

...I'm obviously hoping my NL East/NL Wild Card predictions are wrong but here's to a great year of baseball! :cheers:

Edited by nmigliore

Alex A strikes again for the Jays: Lind signed for 4 years, $18M and 3 club options for 2014, 2015, and 2016. The guaranteed years essentially buy out all of his arbitration years for an average salary of only $4.5M per (!), and then 3 club options for his free agent years - this is an excellent deal for the Jays.

Edited by nmigliore