30 in 30: Devils

Zubie#8

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638976

The New Jersey Devils came two victories short of winning the fourth Stanley Cup in franchise history last season, but a key member of that run no longer is with the organization.

How the club overcomes the loss of Zach Parise via free agency certainly will go a long way in predicting their playoff fortunes. While it may be the million-dollar question, it's one coach Peter DeBoer doesn't seem too concerned about. The second-year coach is confident his club can overcome the departure of last season's captain and, in the process, build upon last season's success.

"[Parise] was obviously an important part of our team, but this League allows you to feel sorry for yourself for about two minutes and then you have to pick yourself up and come up with a plan moving forward," DeBoer said. "I think that's where we're at now … moving forward."

Here are six questions the Devils face heading into the 2012-13 season:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I that far out of the loop, or is this the first anyone's hearing of this?

Lou quickly mentioned this and TG reported this around the time of Parise's signing with the Wild. It was for something minor and it was on the opposite side as where he had his previous surgeries. He should be back in time for training camp.

Edited by DevsMan84

Who is going to take Parise's spot? Now I know lots of players can't replace him when it comes to his work ethic and leadership, but we still need to make up those points that we lost because of his absence. We need to trade for someone.

The Devils don't have to answer that question today. For one, who even knows when the season will get underway, with the lockout looming. And second, there are likely going to be some names that will become available once all of the CBA dust settles. I think this team is going to bounce back from losing Zach much more strongly than some would think.

im guessing a full season of zajac, a more experienced josefson/henrique, tedenby, and our 4th line can collectively make up for what parise produced.

On a scale of 1-10, here's how likely I think the scenarios you listed will come to fruition (5 being average):

Zajac helping. 8

Josefson and Henrique helping. 6.5

Tedenby helping. 3

4th line repeating last year's playoff performance: 5.5

They won't all happen, but hopefully scenarios #1, 2, and 4 happen just enough.

im guessing a full season of zajac, a more experienced josefson/henrique, tedenby, and our 4th line can collectively make up for what parise produced.

The problem with this logic is that it assumes no injuries. Injuries will happen, and with the team as constituted, the Devils would be entering a world of pain if they suffer even one injury to a top six forward.

Edited by Triumph

The problem with this logic is that it assumes no injuries. Injuries will happen, and with the team as constituted, the Devils would be entering a world of pain if they suffer even one injury to a top six forward.

Agreed. A loss to our top 6 would be devastating if it is kept as is. We have a plethora of depth on defense, but I don't know if our forward corps could handle injuries to a top six guy, let alone multiple ones

Guys, guys, guys....guys...are we all forgetting about the production we gained in adding Krys Barch to the line-up? All our problems have already been solved.

Guys, guys, guys....guys...are we all forgetting about the production we gained in adding Krys Barch to the line-up? All our problems have already been solved.

The sad part is that this is true.

Barch > Janssen + Boulton

So add two extra goals and MAYBE 3 more assists depending on his playing time :boogie:

...heck he only needs two points to surpass Janssen and Boulton

Edited by Zubie#8

The sad part is that this is true.

Barch > Janssen + Boulton

So add two extra goals and MAYBE 3 more assists depending on his playing time :boogie:

...heck he only needs two points to surpass Janssen and Boulton

I truly believe we added more this offseason by subtracting Boulton than through anything else. Having him not wasting ice time and going into the season with a legit 4th line is seriously gonna make at least a noticeable difference.

What is the over/under on games played for Janssen? For Barch?

I HOPE under ten for Cam, and under 15 for Barch without having any significant injuries but as we all know they will get more than that. I want our 4th line intact.

Kovy Zajac Henrique

Sykora Elias Zubrus

Teddy Josefson Clarkson

CBGB