Photo

The death of rock radio in NYC...again...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

And now they've reacquired the WRXP call letters. (They had been WEMP under the talk format.) Don't know yet whether this means they intend to go back to that branding, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they did.

In other rock radio news, WFNX in Boston is going away on Friday after 30 years as an alternative rock station, 29 of those under the ownership of the Boston Phoenix, the local alternative weekly newspaper. FNX has been sold to Clear Channel and is rumored to flip to either talk radio or Spanish-language music.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#42 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Nice! I have satellite, but I like there being a local station. I'll definitely check in from time to time if they focus on NY acts like RXP used to.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#43 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

EDIT: Ignore my initial post, this is what I get for not checking the off topic section in days. :giggle:

I was really happy to randomly land on 101.9 today at work and find rock music playing. Hopefully this run goes a lot better than RXP's and both KRock's. It would be great if they focus more on alternative and new music than go back to playing so much cliche and classic rock music that RXP did.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 20 July 2012 - 09:43 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#44 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Fixed the thread title to a less-somber sounding title.

I do have to say, I'm already a little annoyed at the overplaying of that damned Rise Against song. It's an alright song, but this station's been back four days and I've heard it five times, and I've only listened in my car. I can see repetition is going to be a bit of a problem early on at least, but I guess I can't blame them if they're trying to hook in listeners. I can give it a pass and deal with it for now, but it'll drive me back to my iPod eventually if it stays at this rate.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#45 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

They do seem to play some songs a lot, but my guess is that they want to play the big hits right now in Alt. Rock so that people get hooked.. Still glad to have them back
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#46 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I'm happy to have it back, but they seem to be playing a lot of that new softer stuff like The Black Keys and similar sounding bands, which I really can't get into. I know people like that stuff but I miss the good ol' days when rock music was aggressive and made you bang your head.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#47 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

I've been moderately impressed with their playlist so far - haven't heard anything too too much, except that one Rise Against song. Nice to hear bands like M83 get on rock radio - that song would have been HUGE on RXP had it been around when the album first came out.

I'm hoping they really work to expand their playlist even more as time goes on.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#48 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

http://www.allaccess...-cbs-wfan-to-fm

Aaaaand there it goes again. No goddamned patience in this business, I swear. I understand cashing out when CBS offers you a sh!t ton of a money, but still. Was a rock station for three months. At least we get a month's warning this time.

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I shouldn't be surprised but I still am and this hurts. I'm 24 and this is the 4th time rock radio is leaving in NY. Its unbelievable.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

http://www.allaccess...-cbs-wfan-to-fm

Aaaaand there it goes again. No goddamned patience in this business, I swear. I understand cashing out when CBS offers you a sh!t ton of a money, but still. Was a rock station for three months. At least we get a month's warning this time.

This is why radio sucks in the New York Market, it is run by bean counters, not music or creative people.
Short sighted and living in the past.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#51 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,008 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

What are the chances the Devils games get onto the relay FM broadcast? It would be nice to hear the games on the road in Central Jersey

#52 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Probably depends on the chances of NHL hockey being played in the near future.

I really hope I get to update the title of this thread again eventually...this sucks. They've already killed off the social media pages, probably because of people asking about/bemoaning the impending change.

#53 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Wrxp was getting in my nerves. They only played a handfull of songs, they had no original programming, it was boring listen the same songs every day .. no new or obscure songs, no DJ talking sh!t, it was same the same mainstream rock always.
I'm not gonna say that i won't miss WRXP because right now the NY area just have the 104.3 for rock music, an like WRXP they tend to play the same songs every day.

But i feel like WRXP didn't even tried to make it happen , how hard can it bee to find some DJ's and put some original programming on air.

Luckily we still WFMU we when need to listen to some weird sh!t...

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#54 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Wrxp was getting in my nerves. They only played a handfull of songs, they had no original programming, It was boring listen the same songs every day .. no new or obscure songs, no DJ talking sh!t, it was same the same mainstream rock always.
I'm not gonna say that i won't miss WRXP because right now the NY area just have the 104.3 for rock music, an like WRXP they tend to play the same songs every day.

But i feel like WRXP didn't even tried to make it happen , how hard can it bee to find some DJ's and put some original programming on air.

Luckily we still WFMU we when need to listen to some weird sh!t...

If I hear Billy Joel singing "Captain Jack" one more time I'm going to take a sledgehammer to my car radio.

#55 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

If I hear Billy Joel singing "Captain Jack" one more time I'm going to take a sledgehammer to my car radio.

Haha +1

Also, is it just me or does it seem like 2-3 times a day they have a "Get the Led Out" hour devoted to Led Zeppelin songs? Carol Miller seems to love them and if I have to hear her stupid voice (she sounds like Carrie Fisher at this point) I will also take a sledgehammer to my car radio. I'm tired of always having to listen to them and Bruce on the station playing non-stop.

Edited by DevsMan84, 09 October 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#56 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Haha I used to listen to 104.3 at my old job all the time and those are the same reasons why I switched to 101.9 before the first time it was taken down. The recent reincarnation of 101.9 really hasn't impressed me though. They do play a lot of the same songs and they play a lot of that softer new rock that just isn't my style. I miss K-Rock. :(
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#57 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Spotify + Car hookup > Radio
Posted Image

#58 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26