Are you superstitious during games?

roomtemp

I know it doesn't do anything but it makes me feel better to cling to little things during games. Like seating arrangements or drinking one thing only during said game. Little ever carries over game to game but still I get irrationally mad when someone leaves the room during play and something bad happens. Not like screaming mad but still.

During the 2012 playoffs there was this whole complicated system about going to my cousin's house and who went with me which changed per series. At one point during the Florida series I just stopped going because they lost when I was there.

I'm beyond superstitious. No one can leave the room until intermission. When i am at my place i have to wear my shorts with long baseball red socks with either of my elias,henrique,stevens or dano jerseys. i have to listen to certain songs 15 mins before the game. Need my cig before the game, during intermissions. My list can go on and on but i just wanted to say a few. 

No, but I'm a little stitious.

http://youtu.be/P5r-TG8cCeE?t=9s

I'm incredibly superstitious, and I know how ridiculous it is.

Example:

For Christmas my sophomore year of college (12/2009 or thereabouts) I got a Devils-themed fold-up chair (one of these bad boys) and I never really used it until the second half of that awful J-Mac season when the team went on that ridiculous run.  I swear, every time I sat in it during the games they'd win (I'm not exaggerating, they won at least 90% of the games where I'd bust out that ridiculous looking chair).  I definitely associated luck with that chair from that point forward.  They obviously didn't make it, so I retired the chair to my basement, thinking that it had run out of its juju.

...until the 2012 playoffs.  Going into OT in game 6, I suddenly remembered the chair and thought "hey, why the hell not".  I drove home from Rutgers with the sole purpose of getting that damn chair (only about 30 minutes, but still..see the insanity?).  They obviously won, so I kept using it for the rest of that run.  I watched game one of the Flyers series at a bar, big mistake obviously - watched the rest of that one in the seat and I was pretty sure something freaky was going on.  One other particularly stupid example was..I think was game 4 or 5 of the SC finals (the game where Parise scored, I remember that much) I was visiting a friend's beach house in Avalon.  The first thing I did when I got there was plant that stupid chair in front of the TV.  They won, so clearly it was WORTH IT but I still get ribbed for doing that.

In summary, yeah I'm a little crazy.  But that chair's back in my basement regenerating it's lucky juju for the next time the Devils make the playoffs, I can assure you guys of that :lol:

No, but I'm a little stitious.

one of my top 3 all time favorite shows.

I have a mild case of self-diagnosed OCD, so I consciously try to avoid superstitions, my only routine is to audibly speak "let's go devs" right after the start of every period.

Also, if there is a long losing streak going I may move the position of one of my jerseys (ie- if it's in the closet, take it out and rest it on a chair during the next game) or if I'm wearing it, put it in the closet and don't wear it the next game). If this does in fact break the streak, the jersey stays where it is until the next loss (my fiancé hates when we win and the jersey has to sit out for several days lol)

I've become extremely superstitious during Giants football games ever since the Super Bowl in 2007, with hockey it's not AS bad, but I still do some weird things from time to time just because I don't want to "jinx" it if we happen to be winning...

I have a Tervis Tumbler cup with the Devils logo on it and I usually try to drink that during gamedays.  If I am using it, I'll usually make sure the logo is facing me while watching the game at my desk and on my laptop.  Also, whenever we go to shootouts, not just this year but really since the shootout's inception, I have gotten into the habit of saying either "C'mon Marty" or  whoever's in net, during each attempt as soon as the opposing player takes the puck and crosses our blue line.  I don't know why, and I don't utter anything when our players take shots, but I think it always seemed to work (for Brodeur) when he was pretty dominant in the shootout. 

When going to games at Prudential, there is this one area where there is a big Devils logo on the carpet. I always walk around it, kinda like that scene in Goon. 

Also with wearing jerseys at games, I will wear the same one as long as they win. But as soon as they lose I will switch jersey for the next game I attend.

Me and my buddy yell a "Let's go Marty" or "Let's go Cory" (or hell even "Let's go Hedberg" for awhile) after "that our flag was still there" in the anthem at every single game we go to now. Never did it until the 11-12 season when we went to the Cup so we've been doing it ever since. Also, if we go into a slump we always get strombolis at the arena to break it. Swear to God it has worked like 9 out of 10 times haha.

Edited by PWW

http://youtu.be/P5r-TG8cCeE?t=9s

I'm incredibly superstitious, and I know how ridiculous it is.

Example:

For Christmas my sophomore year of college (12/2009 or thereabouts) I got a Devils-themed fold-up chair (one of these bad boys) and I never really used it until the second half of that awful J-Mac season when the team went on that ridiculous run.  I swear, every time I sat in it during the games they'd win (I'm not exaggerating, they won at least 90% of the games where I'd bust out that ridiculous looking chair).  I definitely associated luck with that chair from that point forward.  They obviously didn't make it, so I retired the chair to my basement, thinking that it had run out of its juju.

...until the 2012 playoffs.  Going into OT in game 6, I suddenly remembered the chair and thought "hey, why the hell not".  I drove home from Rutgers with the sole purpose of getting that damn chair (only about 30 minutes, but still..see the insanity?).  They obviously won, so I kept using it for the rest of that run.  I watched game one of the Flyers series at a bar, big mistake obviously - watched the rest of that one in the seat and I was pretty sure something freaky was going on.  One other particularly stupid example was..I think was game 4 or 5 of the SC finals (the game where Parise scored, I remember that much) I was visiting a friend's beach house in Avalon.  The first thing I did when I got there was plant that stupid chair in front of the TV.  They won, so clearly it was WORTH IT but I still get ribbed for doing that.

In summary, yeah I'm a little crazy.  But that chair's back in my basement regenerating it's lucky juju for the next time the Devils make the playoffs, I can assure you guys of that :lol:

every single one of us should go out and get one of these chairs... no joke
  • Like 1

I know it doesn't do anything but it makes me feel better to cling to little things during games. Like seating arrangements or drinking one thing only during said game. Little ever carries over game to game but still I get irrationally mad when someone leaves the room during play and something bad happens. Not like screaming mad but still.

During the 2012 playoffs there was this whole complicated system about going to my cousin's house and who went with me which changed per series. At one point during the Florida series I just stopped going because they lost when I was there.

Yes, but only during playoff games when a lot is on the line.  I think that is because of my general laziness.  But when the playoffs come around, I'll do my part for the team.  If the team is playing like crap and then suddenly comes alive while I'm in the john then, damnit, I'm staying in the john until we win or they get scored on.  Now that is dedication my friends.  I put up with a lot of sh!t for my teams....  :)

BTW, this usually involves me having my wife yell a play-by-play to me in the bathroom.  I just can't stand to not know what is going on!

1) I have a history of having to pee so bad that I can't wait for intermission, and when I get up to go, the Devils always score. Seriously, its like 8 times in a row now. Only catch is, I can't fake it. If I intentionally go to pee without really having to, no goal!

2) If they win, whatever jersey I am wearing is the jersey I wear while watching each game until that jersey loses. Then I switch up.

1) I have a history of having to pee so bad that I can't wait for intermission, and when I get up to go, the Devils always score. Seriously, its like 8 times in a row now. Only catch is, I can't fake it. If I intentionally go to pee without really having to, no goal!

2) If they win, whatever jersey I am wearing is the jersey I wear while watching each game until that jersey loses. Then I switch up.

It sounds to me like we aren't going to be making the playoffs unless you keep better hydrated buddy! Now let's move, move, move! Get this kidneys working and fill that bladder. Then pee (score) us into the playoffs!*

*-many years from now, when I run for public office, this post will be dug up and it will be embarassingly publicized about how I once enoucraged another Devils fan to urinate all over the place so we'd make the playoffs. It will have been totally worth it if we win the Cup!

It sounds to me like we aren't going to be making the playoffs unless you keep better hydrated buddy! Now let's move, move, move! Get this kidneys working and fill that bladder. Then pee (score) us into the playoffs!*

*-many years from now, when I run for public office, this post will be dug up and it will be embarassingly publicized about how I once enoucraged another Devils fan to urinate all over the place so we'd make the playoffs. It will have been totally worth it if we win the Cup!

I totally try to do that! But like I said, the hockey gods won't be mocked.