Kariya For 1.2 Mm?????

smelly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats so he can be a UFA next year again since he makes less than NHL average.

As said in another post, Avs are making a one year run at it with Peter the Great.

This is because he is gonna go back home to Sweden to play in an inline league, get suspended from it and then comes back to NHL in 2005-06.

Sound familiar ???

As Sue said in the longer thread, this 1.2 million dollar deal will make Paul Kariya a Group V free agent at the end of this season. With the lockout coming, he has made a smart move.. he will be a UFA after the fallout when teams will be willing to sign 3 and 4 year contracts for bigger money.. I imagine there's a bonus, or bonus clauses in the contract as well.

So Paul gets one last ride with Teemu. Then Forsberg retires, and Paul and Teemu go their separate ways.

Thats so he can be a UFA next year again since he makes less than NHL average.

As said in another post, Avs are making a one year run at it with Peter the Great.

This is because he is gonna go back home to Sweden to play in an inline league, get suspended from it and then comes back to NHL in 2005-06.

Sound familiar ???

:D

As Sue said in the longer thread, this 1.2 million dollar deal will make Paul Kariya a Group V free agent at the end of this season. With the lockout coming, he has made a smart move.. he will be a UFA after the fallout when teams will be willing to sign 3 and 4 year contracts for bigger money.. I imagine there's a bonus, or bonus clauses in the contract as well.

So Paul gets one last ride with Teemu. Then Forsberg retires, and Paul and Teemu go their separate ways.

Yes, that strategy is obvious, but he is taking a bit of a calculated risk. If anything close to a hard cap is put in place, and it is set in the ballpark where the owner's want it, even the highest paid players will get less. So, while he will still get a long-term deal when labor uncertainty is gone, PK has left a lot of money on the table this year -- and he ain't ever getting that back.

As Sue said in the longer thread, this 1.2 million dollar deal will make Paul Kariya a Group V free agent at the end of this season.  With the lockout coming, he has made a smart move.. he will be a UFA after the fallout when teams will be willing to sign 3 and 4 year contracts for bigger money..  I imagine there's a bonus, or bonus clauses in the contract as well.

So Paul gets one last ride with Teemu.  Then Forsberg retires, and Paul and Teemu go their separate ways.

Yes, that strategy is obvious, but he is taking a bit of a calculated risk. If anything close to a hard cap is put in place, and it is set in the ballpark where the owner's want it, even the highest paid players will get less. So, while he will still get a long-term deal when labor uncertainty is gone, PK has left a lot of money on the table this year -- and he ain't ever getting that back.

If they know for sure that Floppy is gone after next year, Kariya may know he is getting some of that $$$ if he stays w/the Avs.

Kariya is on espnnews stating that they (he and teemu) chose to go to colorado. They (both and their agents) contacted the av's and tlet them know they were interested in being on their team. I can't watch and type at the same time cause the tv is in the other room but I will update you guys asap.

Ok, Kariya did go to Colorado cause he thinks the ducks suck and he knows they will never make it as close to the cup as they were this year. So he took a hike...

What did he really say? He had to have more of an answer then "the Ducks suck." :unsure:

Ok, this is for WCDF...

Press Conference Summary

So far, both Paul and Teemu (via satellite from Finland) have said that they are excited to play together again and, that they felt that the best chance for them to win the Cup was in CO. Paul also said that he agreed to the 1.2 million because it was below the league average. Paul and Teemu approached Colorado together (via their agent). Paul said that it was a difficult decision to make and that he was not hurt by the Ducks not making a qualifing offer. He said that when he became a UFA and talked to Teemu, they both decided that CO was the best place for them to go to win the Cup. It doesn't sound like they were at all interested in coming/staying in Anaheim. :evil:

So Kariya wasn't gonna be a UFA after next year? I admit not knowing his age or situation but I did think he was around long enough to be a UFA, especially after he was a UFA this year. I thought once you were UFA you stayed one. Okay I guess he did have 'some' ulterior motive. At least he admitted it. :lol: I heard about the figure I didn't fault him for taking less on the surface, how could I; we always kvetch and moan when people leave for more money. But I guess Kariya had a greedy reason to leave for less too :P As if this wasn't gonna be a weird enough offseason :rolleyes:

He probably did owe the Ducks at least a chance to play out one year at a discount for THEM before he became UFA considering he's been overpaid the last couple of years. I can't blame the Duck fans for being mad, just as the team got good he up and left. I don't fault guys for wanting to win though, so long as they're not passengers (i.e. they actually contribute) and even though Anaheim went to the Finals last year and Colorado bowed out in the first round that could shift pretty quickly. But this ain't just about winning.

BTW on a related note, Selanne's even more of an a$$ now. I thought he didn't want to leave SJ? What changed in 4 months? :lol: I'm glad he didn't cause we won the Cup obviously but at the same time he still did diss us too :P

What I think is that with the team that they did have put together this last season, and as far as they got, this last season, That it wasn't going to be the same this coming season and probably in seasons to come. The Ducks had their shot and

came OH SO CLOSE but it was time to move on for Paul. He probably wanted a change and felt like this was the right time. Just as those who decide, after they win the SC, they retire...

next year.. kariya can be a 10 season veteran under the average salary...

few money this year in order to play with his buddy... on a contender...

it's looks like "smart"

No it is more like hypocrisy...hell Colorado...this is Paul Kariya...me and Teemu want to play for your team...we will take huge pay cuts....no we really want to play for your team...ok...deal done. Paul hangs up phone and turns to Teemu...these Americans are so stupid...next year we make big bucks...screw Colorado...the thin air sucks anyway :o