Flyers, Briere Part Ways

cgb6397

Unless Lou really doesn't want him.(or he wants stupid $$)

This is what it boils down to. However, the fact he wants to stay may get him to take less to stay local. I figured this as much as well. It's not a longshot he's a Devil next year. Even if we re-signed Clarkson, Elias, and Zubrus, it'd still be a possibility we sign Briere. Tedenby can be the 13th forward.

I don't recall which line he played on in SJ but not counting last year, he put up 22, 19, 17 and 24 goals his last full season. I think he could be a decent Clarkson replacement

He's also good for a cheap shot or two by playing pucks from the bench two years in a row or being a complete tool.

Give me Briere who has actual leadership qualities and scoring consistency over him any day.

He's also good for a cheap shot or two by playing pucks from the bench two years in a row or being a complete tool.

Give me Briere who has actual leadership qualities and scoring consistency over him any day.

Briere is worse than Clowe for cheap shots. I agree with you otherwise, but being a class act is not why I'd take Briere over Clowe.

You can't bring up cheap shots and leave out Briere's antics. Someone pull up that GIF of him trying to slash Carter going to the bench.

At least when Clowe's not scoring he's physical and not a complete liability

Clowe is a 34 year old player in a 30 year old body. He'll be signed for 3+ years by somebody and I don't want it to be New Jersey.

Years are going to be the killer on these deals, not cap hit.

Then you have to say the same thing about Clarkson who plays a similar style

Clarkson just had his best season from a territorial standpoint, Clowe just had arguably his worst.  I'm very wary of a player who a playoff team (one which I consider the smartest in the league) dumped for picks.  I'm even warier of a North American player who's big and has shown some offensive skill.  I will be furious if NJ signs him.

Clarkson just had his best season from a territorial standpoint, Clowe just had arguably his worst. I'm very wary of a player who a playoff team (one which I consider the smartest in the league) dumped for picks. I'm even warier of a North American player who's big and has shown some offensive skill. I will be furious if NJ signs him.

Clowe was also injured/saw limited time in SJ. Does behindthenet have his Rangers splits?

Why is that? I think he's making a point that Clowe is a declining talent. We all know Clarky isn't going to score 30 again, at least it's fairly unlikely, but while he may have peaked in that respect, I don't think his talent is declining quickly.

Edited by ATLL765

Why is that? I think he's making a point that Clowe is a declining talent. We all know Clarky isn't going to score 30 again, at least it's fairly unlikely, but while he may have peaked in that respect, I don't think his talent is declining quickly.

Players like Clarkson and Clowe typically don't have long shelf lives. In two years we might be saying the same things about Clarkson that we are about Clowe. Only difference is Clarkson will have tens of millions and several years left on his contract.

Retaining UFAs is a necessary evil, but the team paying almost always ends up getting bad value

We said that last year too though, and then look what he did this year: somehow or another, he maintained close pace to what could've been another 30-goal full season.

Clowe has more grit and physicality to his game then David

So his body's even more beat up than David's.  

Mantzas:  All you can get are score close splits where Clowe looks decent but we don't know who he was playing with.  My point is, he's going to be given lots of years because he seems like he is young.  But he is not young.  

I feel like Briere is best when he sort of floats around behind and just in front of the net, keeping a low profile before a pass across where he has a wide open net.. Not sure that really fits our style but I'd be happy to sign him for long enough that they make his t-shirt, so I can wear it around Philly