2012-2013 NHL Playoffs

MDPucks

It is crazy to see just how much talent this Hawks team has.

How they can have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, and Keith under contract, and still have absolutely terrific depth, is beyond me.  It's either a testament to some fantastic work by their GM, or just a whole lot of fortunate circumstances.

Either way, I'm jealous.  Devils need to shed some of their sh!tty contracts and actually pick up some talent.

How they can have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, and Keith under contract, and still have absolutely terrific depth, is beyond me.  It's either a testament to some fantastic work by their GM, or just a whole lot of fortunate circumstances.

Either way, I'm jealous.  Devils need to shed some of their sh!tty contracts and actually pick up some talent.

The Hawks basically were cellar dwellers for a good period during the strong draft years last decade.

Well, they were terrible for a decade. Picking in the beginning of every round for 10 years definitely helped.

Well, they were terrible for a decade. Picking in the beginning of every round for 10 years definitely helped.

Somewhat overstating their suckiness - they had 4 top 10 draft picks, and two of those were Skille and Cam Barker. They did however find gems later on.

Somewhat overstating their suckiness - they had 4 top 10 draft picks, and two of those were Skille and Cam Barker. They did however find gems later on.

Seabrook was the 13th pick I believe. Which is better than the Devils picked for 16 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Big difference. We tend not to shed sh!tty contracts, but instead allow the player(s) to hang around past their prime. Our drafting isnt' the greatest behind Lou and Conte. Once Marty retires in a few years this organization will be in serious trouble.

Big difference. We tend not to shed sh!tty contracts, but instead allow the player(s) to hang around past their prime. Our drafting isnt' the greatest behind Lou and Conte. Once Marty retires in a few years this organization will be in serious trouble.

If you're consistently drafting in the bottom half of the first round, you'll tend not to draft a lot of superstars.  Just look at Detroits drafting in the past ten years.  While evidently they've done better lately, Detroit's draft history over the past ten years isn't anything special.  During that same period, the Devils drafted Parise at 17, Zajac in the mid-first round, Fayne in the third round, Henrique in the third round, picked up Greene as a free agent, traded Bergfors and Cormier for Kovalchuk.  That's not bad, especially when compared to a lot of other teams that consistently have top 10 picks. 

With the exception of 2010-2011 season, the Devils contracts haven't prevented them from signing or retaining other players, so it's really a red herring.  I suppose, in theory, the Devils could have given the Kovalchuk contract to Parise, but that's why it's just in theory.  The Devils had the cap space to give him a sizable contract, but it just wasn't going to be.  I still haven't heard any reliable reports of what the Devils' final offer to him was. 

And whether the Devils find themselves in serious trouble in the next few years won't have anything to do with Marty retiring.  While I still think he's an NHL quality goalle despite differing opinions, he's, at best, a middling sort of player, about as good as a Nabokov or Ray Emery.