NHL Approves Hybrid Icing '13-14

Bartholomew Hunt

Same, just saw it on BR, so it's as good as unconfirmed. Edit: NHL app just confirmed.

That's why I came to the site just now. That NHL app is awful. They give you the little blurb, then you click it and go to the home page instead of the actual article the blurb was about. Where's the damn article? So instead, I come here and find out the news, lol.

more braindead lunacy from a league run by the braindead. All this does is break up the flow of the game.Too many controversial judgement calls. This kills loose puck battles. Barely anybody gets injured in these situations anyway. It's hardly an epidemic.

Edited by '7'

there are two judgments required for "icing the puck". The Linesman must first determine that the puck will cross the goal line. Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck.

Ugh, so much easier to have kept the same rule regarding who actually touched the puck after it crossed the line & to have just painted an actual line on the ice !

and that same line could've been painted  straight across the faceoff dot, and then also been used to make sure players  are on-side for each faceoff...

How is anyone complaining about this? This is what the teams and players want. It is a protection issue as the video above shows the dangers of it.

It's a non issue as far as flow. Just different at first.

Agreed, I'm surprised to see people so up in arms about this.  They were using it throughout preseason and it had no effect on the speed or flow of the game.  I am a little concerned with how quickly the linesmen have to make the judgment call though, maybe no-touch icing would be better as long as they could wave it off when the forward is clearly going to be the first to the puck.

Edited by devilsfan26
  • Like 1

How is anyone complaining about this? This is what the teams and players want. It is a protection issue as the video above shows the dangers of it.

Except in the above video, had hybrid-icing been a rule, it would not have been invoked. The referee only blows his whistle when he can clearly determine that the defending player would reach the puck first. When the referee is unable to clearly determine, like in the situation above where both players were separated by mere inches, the play is not blown dead. The result is the invocation of the rule when the likelihood of a collision is incredibly miniscule, because both players are far apart, and no invocation of the rule when the likelihood of a collision and subsequent injury are greatest, because both players are indeterminately tied. Thus, using the above video as a visual impetus to launch a campaign for hybrid icing is, at least to me, inaccurately and illogically foolish.

I don't see any benefit from this. Like leeski said, dangerous plays like the Pitkanen video above would play out the exact same way since the players would be close enough that the refs would opt to allow the footrace rather than blow it dead.

Am I missing something?

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

i dont know why honestly nothing can be left alone, by the time all of the "rules" are done being made and changed its not even going to be the same game... already now players HAVE to wear visors(if having played less the 25 games before rule being made).. stupid if they don't want to wear it it should be their choice.. players cant take their helmets off to fight fvcking stupid ruled if they're fighting and fall and hit their head then thats a risk that should obviously be known. I mean you can get knocked out with out falling and hitting your head if your throwing blows with someone. Then the stupid jersey rule.. honestly what the hell does that effect? Possibly making players feel less restrained in their uniform and giving them more mobility? big deal, players should be able to put on the best show and performance that they can fans pay a lot of money to see them do so.. which is why i would guess they shrunk the goalies pads and the width of the net so that theres more room for wrap arounds and such behind it. .... a bunch of stupid fvcking rules constantly changing the game ..

i dont know why honestly nothing can be left alone, by the time all of the "rules" are done being made and changed its not even going to be the same game... already now players HAVE to wear visors(if having played less the 25 games before rule being made).. stupid if they don't want to wear it it should be their choice.. players cant take their helmets off to fight fvcking stupid ruled if they're fighting and fall and hit their head then thats a risk that should obviously be known. I mean you can get knocked out with out falling and hitting your head if your throwing blows with someone. Then the stupid jersey rule.. honestly what the hell does that effect? Possibly making players feel less restrained in their uniform and giving them more mobility? big deal, players should be able to put on the best show and performance that they can fans pay a lot of money to see them do so.. which is why i would guess they shrunk the goalies pads and the width of the net so that theres more room for wrap arounds and such behind it. .... a bunch of stupid fvcking rules constantly changing the game ..

1. The visor rule is an actual safety rule (unlike this silly icing one).  Players may not want to play without helmets either, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to, especially with players getting bigger and stronger every year.  Not to mention all the accidents that do happen with pucks going into players' eyes.

2. I sort of get the fighting rule, I mean they don't want players getting clocked in the side of the head unprotected during fights - thing is if you successfully prevent head shots in a fight, then fighting itself ain't going to be much other than two guys trying to throw chin uppercuts and body shots which the other guy knows is coming because you can't hit a guy upstairs unless it's in the chin somehow getting under the visor.

3 and 4 I agree with you on...I don't get the point of the tucked jersey, it's not like there's some epidemic of players tugging on loose jerseys to throw someone to the ice.  And some of the posts above are right about icing, it really doesn't prevent most of the collisions, unless officials just get too afraid to let anything happen and prematurely whistle plays dead all over the place.  Plus you turn what's mostly a black-and-white call into another judgement decision.

5.  Don't see how anyone can complain about goalie equipment being reduced besides goalies.  When it's used for protection that's one thing, when it's purely used for net coverage that's another.  You don't need all the **** goalies have on them to protect important areas, or at least not as much of it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm okay with it as long as the officials don't make controversial calls that impact games. My main concern is that this will occur during the playoffs and it will turn into a nightmare. The worst case scenario for the NHL. It feels like they're rushing it. I'm for player safety. Hopefully, there won't be any issues.