Jagr really wants to re-sign in NJ.

SterioDesign

$2M of the cap hit from the games played bonus is deferred to next year. So his cap hit is $2M now and $2M next year.

Yes $2 million for 2 years. So if they brought him back on the same deal, $4 million next year. Still your top scorer and a relative bargain assuming he stays healthy, which he seems to do.

Bullsh!t.  Don't go comparing the two.  Brodeur put over 20 years of work in this organization, he has earned the right to say whatever he wants.  Jagr is trying to look good because he wants to get another contract.  Jagr looks so great now because he's not following the money and needs a job after this year.  I'm just as happy as you are that Jagr likes it here and as long as he continues playing as he has, he's earned his 2nd year if Lou still wants him. 

If Lou still "wants" him?

I think it's clear that Lou NEEDS him.

Without Jagr this season, it would be EXTREMELY ugly.

Even if Jagr only puts in 40 points next year, I'll take him back.  Love Jagr.

Oh yes

Nice pic, btw...lol

Jagr has 55 points in 65 games and he is a +17. We'd be god awful if not for him.

YES

This is where people lose it when a player leaves for free agency. Would Jagr like to come back to NJ? Sure. He's open to it. He was asked a question and it's hard not to say otherwise. But I bet he would like to.

But very few players would say otherwise when asked about coming back to the team they are currently playing for. A lot of really opportunities could present themselves to him once the season ends, however.

If he leaves for a little more money, and the Devils tried to resign him....I will be livid

This is where people lose it when a player leaves for free agency. Would Jagr like to come back to NJ? Sure. He's open to it. He was asked a question and it's hard not to say otherwise. But I bet he would like to.

But very few players would say otherwise when asked about coming back to the team they are currently playing for. A lot of really opportunities could present themselves to him once the season ends, however.

I really don't think Jagr will get a ton of offers for the same reason he didn't get that many this year - he still wants to play for a winner but he's not really definitely going to be good enough to play in a 'winner's top 6.  I'd hope Lou would offer him the same deal he got this year with a $1M raise in base salary.  So it's $3M with a $500k bonus for every 10 games he plays up to 40 games.

NJ will pay out the bonuses to Jagr and Zidlicky this year, thankfully.

Funny how much he loves it here.  I remember hearing his name in trade rumors with the Devils in either '98 or '99...I forget which year...not like things went badly because it never happened, but there's definitely a little "what if"...seems like Jagr is much easier-going and generally happier now than he was then.  He'll always remind me of the rock star who once played to sold-out stadiums, didn't really love it, and is having a much better time playing in small clubs than he ever did when he was on top. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Funny how much he loves it here.  I remember hearing his name in trade rumors with the Devils in either '98 or '99...I forget which year...not like things went badly because it never happened, but there's definitely a little "what if"...seems like Jagr is much easier-going and generally happier now than he was then.  He'll always remind of the rock star who once played to sold-out stadiums, didn't really love it, and is having a much better time playing in small clubs than he ever did when he was on top. 

I don't think Jagr was in a good place for a while...especially during his time in Washington. I don't think he ever married...doesn't have kids and seemed to get away from hockey by gambling millions away and wasn't paying his taxes.

He's definitely in that better place now. I'm not sure if the late night workout sessions have always took place or now are used as part of a new found focus on hockey. As legendary as they are, these things can't be done when you have a wife and kids.

When Jagr says he'll keep playing...because "what else am I going to do"....he means it.

Jagr is a paid mercenary at this point. Who ever will potentially pay him the most he'll go there. Doesn't matter where or how much of a preseason contender they are and there is nothing wrong with that

He prefers playing in the East, maybe for a team that won't be getting an outdoor game. No one wants to hear another half dozen interviews of him bitching about playing in the cold.

He would be wise to resign in NJ.. We have the easiest travel in the NHL, he's playing on a top line and gelling with Zajac (maybe Ruutu now), and we play a style that is suitable for his speed.. He'd be far less effective in some of the run-and-gun style teams in the East.. We play a slower possession game that fits his skill set well.. I can definitely see him coming back, especially if we do well in FA (not that I think he is actively trying to win a Cup)

At this point, resigning him would seem to be a no-brainer. If we're going on a one year deal, I have no problem throwing him 5 for next season. We would seriously be looking at giving up a top 3-5 pick this year if it weren't for him (and the other aging Czechs).

Remember when people were disappointed that signing Jagr made it seem like we were out of the Brunner sweepstakes? It's funny how things turn out. Brunner seemed like our best shot at a Kovalchuk replacement, but Jagr seemed to take on that role quite nicely instead.