Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

Question: if we sign Semin and after a year or two it's clearly not working out, can he be transferred to the KHL? Would we get out of having to pay him if that happens?

Nope. We'd have to release him for the KHL to even make an offer. Theres a standing agreement between the leagues that we won't offer currently contracted KHL players contracts and vice versa. Im pretty sure (not positive) that if it didnt work out, the only way we could get rid of him is via waivers, but I assume the money would still count towards the cap.

IE Radulov was RFA after this season, the KHL signed him and Nashville didnt make him a qualifying offer.

Nope. We'd have to release him for the KHL to even make an offer. Theres a standing agreement between the leagues that we won't offer currently contracted KHL players contracts and vice versa. Im pretty sure (not positive) that if it didnt work out, the only way we could get rid of him is via waivers, but I assume the money would still count towards the cap.

IE Radulov was RFA after this season, the KHL signed him and Nashville didnt make him a qualifying offer.

That agreement isn't worth sh!t. Especially if the NHL doesn't go to Sochi.

Slava Malamud (Sports Express, NHL.com)

There are unconfirmed (!) reports that CSKA's offer to Semin stand at 3 years, $30 million. Pretty ridiculous money, if you ask me. #Caps

— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud)

July 8, 2012

"There are unconfirmed (!) reports that CSKA's offer to Semin stand at 3 years, $30 million. Pretty ridiculous money, if you ask me. "

Semin CSKA reports are published in RUS media, siting American sources. Whether they're factual or not, Semin clearly wants to sign here.

— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud)

July 8, 2012

"Semin CSKA reports are published in RUS media, siting American sources. Whether they're factual or not, Semin clearly wants to sign here."

I believe "here" means NHL.

I'd be fine with this unless he's looking for a career contract. I'd rather have a higher cap hit than extra years at a lower salary.

Yup, ink a 2 or 3 year deal and worry about long term later if he works out.

I really envy LL's job. What fun this would be.

I really wish some news would come out. I cant stand all the bogus twitter rumours. This one was probably the best one ive seen.

#NJD Lou will try to sign Semin to keep Kovy in NJ, but if he loses out, Kovy trade request will become formal. #NHL # KHL -- HenriqueSuave14 (@HenriqueSuave14)

I really wish some news would come out. I cant stand all the bogus twitter rumours. This one was probably the best one ive seen.

#NJD Lou will try to sign Semin to keep Kovy in NJ, but if he loses out, Kovy trade request will become formal. #NHL # KHL -- HenriqueSuave14 (@HenriqueSuave14)

rofl.gif

Yep. Before 2006, idiots around the world wandered around through life not having opinions because Twitter hadn't been invented yet.

Well, there was the innerweb then.... and now.

so who's all going to dev camp tomorrow? What does that mean?

Its rookies and mostly young guys. Get an early look to see who they want to invite to training camp etc. Its probably going to be Matteau's and the rest of the draftees first time on Devils ice in a practice setting.

New Puck Daddy on Semin: http://sports.yahoo....27442--nhl.html

Alex Semin has been subject to a very thorough character assassination. For quite some time now, the Russian sniper has been the poster child for "The problem with Russians", as seen by those in the NHL hockey media that have a problem with Russians...

Now, as long as Semin doesn't speak enough English to defend himself in the language or, at the very least, stop being seen as the other, he's going to be somewhat maligned. But, eight days into free agency, I'd say the silence is speaking in his favour. I think it might be time to rethink the whole "he doesn't want to be here" angle.

Edited by ben00rs

Its rookies and mostly young guys. Get an early look to see who they want to invite to training camp etc. Its probably going to be Matteau's and the rest of the draftees first time on Devils ice in a practice setting.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the Semin tumblr?