Concerts

Devils Dose

I can't wait to see what Lady Gaga is like. I'm sure it's freaking crazy and I like her music so... It's an excuse to get dressed up and dance. hahahaa

Speaking getting dressed up and dancing, what the hell is with World/Inferno? I haven't heard anything from them. They were playing out in Brooklyn like every day for a while and dropped off. I still wanna dress up, throw some confetti and dance around in the pit for them. :( I loveeee their stuff.

Oh and the Boucing Souls on the boat.... I need to check into that. Hmm.

I hope they have the UC Fest again. That was fun minus the rain and the load of cars on the streets, but Third Eye Blind was awesome. If there are decent bands, I think we can have people over, BBQ a little and then walk over.

Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are playing that Bamboozle Road Show as well at Six Flags.... HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA Ugh, bringing back my youth. Awesomeee.

Anyone hear anything about Skate and Surf either? I heard it's coming back this year. http://www.skateandsurffest.com/ There's a webpage, but nothing to say what it is. UGH I love Skate and Surf, we had such a great time in 2004. :(

I can't wait to see what Lady Gaga is like. I'm sure it's freaking crazy and I like her music so... It's an excuse to get dressed up and dance. hahahaa

Speaking getting dressed up and dancing, what the hell is with World/Inferno? I haven't heard anything from them. They were playing out in Brooklyn like every day for a while and dropped off. I still wanna dress up, throw some confetti and dance around in the pit for them. :( I loveeee their stuff.

Oh and the Boucing Souls on the boat.... I need to check into that. Hmm.

I hope they have the UC Fest again. That was fun minus the rain and the load of cars on the streets, but Third Eye Blind was awesome. If there are decent bands, I think we can have people over, BBQ a little and then walk over.

Yeah, the blog that mentioned the Bouncing Souls Rocks Off cruise show seems to be backing away from it now, so maybe it's not actually happening. I would love for it to happen, just on a weekend (or before September).

Yeah there's literally NO ONE on that Third Eye Blind show that I wanna see besides 3EB. I'm sure Amanda will want to see some of Good Charlotte though. I gotta order those tickets today or tomorrow for sure, it's her graduation gift, she doesn't know it yet, and graduation was this morning. Yeah, I'm not so good at planning things lately.

And yeah, they've been doing UC Music Fest for a few years now (though I think it was the first or second time doing it in Clark last year). It seems to get better and better each year, so I'm hoping for a good lineup. And if there is a good group of bands and you guys do decide to BBQ beforehand, I'll be sure not to work at the fest. :lol:

As the rumor All Points West is Dead this year...

I really would like to see Pearl Jam at The Rock, but there's is no GA so Probably I would not put down $400 to seat at concert, I don't like to seat at concert at all

As the rumor All Points West is Dead this year...

I really would like to see Pearl Jam at The Rock, but there's is no GA so Probably I would not put down $400 to seat at concert, I don't like to seat at concert at all

Yeah I'm disapointed there's gonna be no All Points West this year, as it usually falls on my birthday weekend and so far the only show scheduled for my birthday is Lillith Fair. :/

I had never even heard of them until my girlfriend introduced them to me. They're pretty damn fun. Saw them in NYC around New Years ... great live show (although it was kinda short).

As a sidenote, the lead singer also plays the lead role in the movie Everything Is Illuminated, and it's my own personal theory that that's where Sacha Baron Cohen got his idea for the Borat character.

Everything is Illuminated was published in 2002, 2 years after Borat made his debut on the Ali G Show in the UK.

saw Weezer in Atlantic City (Borgata) a few weeks ago, what a great show, they are one excellent band live.

The opening band MeWithoutYou were just awful. very annoying and whiney... the music had potential but they executed it terribly

A sweet mix of the new and old stuff, and they had a touring drummer who i found out is one of my favorites (Josh Freese from A Perfect Circle, The Vandals, etc)

I want to go see Weird Al in june as well as 311/Offspring.

I heard that Soundgarden was doing a tour... if they do a show around here, im in

i also really want to go to the jukebox the ghost show in late may but i'm pretty sure it's on my mother's birthday so that probably won't happen. lastone, i'm almost positive they're playing lolla this year. you need to check them out. they're SO good.

Man, I am so far behind on this thread, I keep missing stuff. Yeah, Jukebox the Ghost is on Lolla, and I've already downloaded a few songs by 'em and love it. Very Ben Folds-y.

Of the bands that I knew NOTHING about before they announced Lollapalooza, I'm really digging Jukebox the Ghost, B.o.B., Foxy Shazam, The Soft Pack, Freelance Whales, Blitzen Trapper, Wild Beasts, and Semi Precious Weapons. And I'm only through about half of the artists on there that I don't know yet.

I guess I'll give this a try.

Review

Pearl Jam 5/18 Prudential Center

Since I've never been there for a concert, I'll start with the venue:

This is not what I had planned to be seeing at the PruCenter in mid-May, but it was a rocking good time nonetheless. As far as atmosphere, the place was empty during the opening act, but packed for PJ, save some of the 200-level sections. The crowd was mostly male, mostly high-energy. When Eddie Vedder joked about how the weather in Newark was making him and his Seattle-based bandmates feel right at home, he drew a good laugh, so some people were still sharp and listening closely. There were some people smoking pot, but I guess that's as surprising as saying that Even Flow was part of Pearl Jam's set-list. The arena sets up nicely for a concert. I was in the last row of 108, so the band's faces were fuzzy from that distance, but the sound is very good. They have spotlights that illuminate the stairways without putting light in the patrons' faces, that's a great feature.

Opening act, Band of Horses:

They were surprisingly good (though I am a bit of a sucker for good harmonized vocals, and that seemed to be the real strength of this band). The lead singer brought his daughter onstage for her second birthday (with earmuffs on of course), and Vedder came out to join them on their last song. A good job, despite many unoccupied seats.

Main Act:

Pearl Jam really stormed the stage, playing their harder rockers during the first set. They played the uptempo version of "Even Flow," and the crowd went crazy. After a five minute break, they came back out to play some slower songs, like "Daughter", gradually picking up the pace again. This, to me, indicated lots of thought went into preparation of the set-list for the show. After one more break, they started the final set with rendition of "Jersey Girl" (the crowd yelled "Bruuuuce" :whistling: at the end, but Vedder corrected them). It was tribute to us, the fans, who came out for a concert that almost didn't happen, according to Vedder. What a nice touch. They played more crowd-pleasing hits, like "Alive," and wrapped up the show with a cover of "All Along the Watchtower," once again showing off the band's versatility.

Overall it was a great night, and the perfect way for me to kick off 3.5 months of concerts. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll give this a try.

Review

Pearl Jam 5/18 Prudential Center

Since I've never been there for a concert, I'll start with the venue:

This is not what I had planned to be seeing at the PruCenter in mid-May, but it was a rocking good time nonetheless. As far as atmosphere, the place was empty during the opening act, but packed for PJ, save some of the 200-level sections. The crowd was mostly male, mostly high-energy. When Eddie Vedder joked about how the weather in Newark was making him and his Seattle-based bandmates feel right at home, he drew a good laugh, so some people were still sharp and listening closely. There were some people smoking pot, but I guess that's as surprising as saying that Even Flow was part of Pearl Jam's set-list. The arena sets up nicely for a concert. I was in the last row of 108, so the band's faces were fuzzy from that distance, but the sound is very good. They have spotlights that illuminate the stairways without putting light in the patrons' faces, that's a great feature.

Opening act, Band of Horses:

They were surprisingly good (though I am a bit of a sucker for good harmonized vocals, and that seemed to be the real strength of this band). The lead singer brought his daughter onstage for her second birthday (with earmuffs on of course), and Vedder came out to join them on their last song. A good job, despite many unoccupied seats.

Main Act:

Pearl Jam really stormed the stage, playing their harder rockers during the first set. They played the uptempo version of "Even Flow," and the crowd went crazy. After a five minute break, they came back out to play some slower songs, like "Daughter", gradually picking up the pace again. This, to me, indicated lots of thought went into preparation of the set-list for the show. After one more break, they started the final set with rendition of "Jersey Girl" (the crowd yelled "Bruuuuce" whistling.gif at the end, but Vedder corrected them). It was tribute to us, the fans, who came out for a concert that almost didn't happen, according to Vedder. What a nice touch. They played more crowd-pleasing hits, like "Alive," and wrapped up the show with a cover of "All Along the Watchtower," once again showing off the band's versatility.

Overall it was a great night, and the perfect way for me to kick off 3.5 months of concerts. thumbsup.gif

Seeing as how I happen to like Pearl Jam but was not able to go to their show at The Rock (I'm not a diehard fan or anything like that), I was curious to read some online fan reviews of what they thought of the concert, The Rock, New Jersey, etc.

Judging by the following thread I came across on one of the Pearl Jam fan sites, it seems that it is not only New York and Philly hockey fans that like to dump on Jersey and its fans -- N.Y. and Philly music fans are just as good at it:

http://forums.pearlj...hp?f=5&t=132631

Seeing as how I happen to like Pearl Jam but was not able to go to their show at The Rock (I'm not a diehard fan or anything like that), I was curious to read some online fan reviews of what they thought of the concert, The Rock, New Jersey, etc.

Judging by the following thread I came across on one of the Pearl Jam fan sites, it seems that it is not only New York and Philly hockey fans that like to dump on Jersey and its fans -- N.Y. and Philly music fans are just as good at it:

Ya know, it's weird. When I went to see Metallica at the Rock last year, I actually had people sitting behind me yelling at me because I was standing and blocking their view. It was a METALLICA show. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what it is, but maybe the Rock really does draw lame crowds. It definitely isn't a Jersey thing, though. Some of the craziest crowds I've ever been a part of were during shows at Starland. Hell, the biggest, wildest mosh pit I've ever seen was during a friggin blues song at the end of a Clutch set there.

That's interesting, that so many people came to that conclusion. Many of the concerts that I've been to before have been older bands than PJ, so perhaps I'm a bit more used to seeing people sitting and enjoying, but if you think about it, a lot of the people who got into Pearl Jam when they and grunge were in their heyday, they're in their 30s now, some of them closer to 40. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting, for the crowd to be jumping up and down the whole time? Even so, some fans might consider that to be a bad crowd, so this is a charge that probably gets made often, and as you said, common Jersey-hate probably just emboldened people to rag on this one.

In any event, the music is paramount to me. An idiosyncratic crowd might be able to add to a great experience, but I don't go to show expecting to receive that (I didn't pay the fans to do anything for me). Just as long as people don't disturb me, like sitting right behind me and trying to have a conversation over the performance (what are you even doing there?!), then I'm fine with other people listening in whatever fashion pleases them.

Maybe the high ticket prices had something to do with it? This show was close to $100 a pop at the box office (fortunately I stole my tickets off StubHub). People were standing in front of me the whole time. I sat down for part of the show, but I didn't say anything to them. You can still hear the music, whereas if people are standing in front of you at a Devils game, the whole purpose is defeated).

Edited by Devils Dose

Ya know, it's weird. When I went to see Metallica at the Rock last year, I actually had people sitting behind me yelling at me because I was standing and blocking their view. It was a METALLICA show. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what it is, but maybe the Rock really does draw lame crowds. It definitely isn't a Jersey thing, though. Some of the craziest crowds I've ever been a part of were during shows at Starland. Hell, the biggest, wildest mosh pit I've ever seen was during a friggin blues song at the end of a Clutch set there.

I had the same issue last summer at AC/DC at Giants Stadium and then again seeing Nickelback at PNC (I was on the lawn and people still complained). I couldn't believe people expected to be able to sit through either of those concerts. It's quite annoying.

Gotta agree Starland gets nuts. Seen many mosh pits. Sold out seether show is probably the best I can remember.

I had the same issue last summer at AC/DC at Giants Stadium and then again seeing Nickelback at PNC (I was on the lawn and people still complained). I couldn't believe people expected to be able to sit through either of those concerts. It's quite annoying.

Gotta agree Starland gets nuts. Seen many mosh pits. Sold out seether show is probably the best I can remember.

I was at that AC/DC show at Giants Stadium too, but luckily had nothing but people standing and rocking out near me. That said, I hate stadium shows. You're too far away. I've seen them at MSG, the Spectrum, CAA and once against after it switched to IZOD. Every one of those shows killed their Giants Stadium show. They're always awesome though.

As for Starland, I'm never going back there. Each time I go, it's more packed than the last time. The last show I saw, I swear, it was so packed that there were 10 people (10!) standing on the tiny set of steps on the side of the floor leading to the side bar area. There wasn't even breathing room against the side walls. If there's a safe capacity for that place, they don't abide by it. Now I just hope the bands I like choose House of Blues in A.C. instead of Starland. That's a nice venue.

I wonder if the concert crowds at the Rock might be a little quiet because people are not used to going to shows there yet.

Think about it -- people have been going to the Izod, PNC, Tweeter Center, MSG, Wachovia Center, etc. for years. They know exactly where they are going to park; they know where they are going to hang before the show; they know the ins and outs of those buildings; they feel comfortable at those places.

Aside from Devils fans and maybe some Seton Hall Pirates fans, most people still have never been to the Rock, or maybe they've been there once. They probably don't know where to park, so they end up paying jacked-up prices at the closest ripoff parking lot; they don't know where to hang or drink before the show, so they end up going inside earlier and more sober than expected; then they get into the building and realize they have no idea where everyone else at the show is from because they didn't hang with anyone else or talk to anyone else before the show. So they end up being a little more quiet than usual, and as a result the concert crowd doesn't have that homey, this-is-our-house feel to it.

I don't know, just a theory.

Edited by 95Crash

I was originally going to take a pass on seeing any concerts this summer due to money constraints, but I am tempted to go see Ringo at Westbury and, god help me, I'll probably wind up seeing Kiss at Jones Beach. I say God help me cause I saw them at the Garden and thought the show was subpar for what I am used to seeing from Kiss and I wasn't too crazy about Tommy Thayer's guitar work and the fact that he was doing Ace's bit with the rocket. It's bad enough that they have Gene's roadie painted up as the spaceman, do they have to have him perform his stunts as well?

I was at that AC/DC show at Giants Stadium too, but luckily had nothing but people standing and rocking out near me. That said, I hate stadium shows. You're too far away. I've seen them at MSG, the Spectrum, CAA and once against after it switched to IZOD. Every one of those shows killed their Giants Stadium show. They're always awesome though.

As for Starland, I'm never going back there. Each time I go, it's more packed than the last time. The last show I saw, I swear, it was so packed that there were 10 people (10!) standing on the tiny set of steps on the side of the floor leading to the side bar area. There wasn't even breathing room against the side walls. If there's a safe capacity for that place, they don't abide by it. Now I just hope the bands I like choose House of Blues in A.C. instead of Starland. That's a nice venue.

The stadium show really disappointed me. That was my first time seeing them and it just seemed like there was no energy there. I agree it was mostly due to the stadium atmosphere. I'm not a big fan of stadium shows either but if it's the only choice you gotta go.

Starland is a fire trap waiting to happen with the way they cram people in there. Velvet Revolver on new years eve a few years back was so packed it was impossible to move 2 inches in either direction. Awesome show though. That place is great if it's just under capacity. Sold out shows are not good at all. Haven't been to the House of Blues yet, hoping to go see Cinderella down there soon though.