GDT: Flyers @ Devils (feat. My Little Poni)

Marshall

We win this game 1-0 if not for Foster and special teams. Foster just flat-out sucks and the first goal was all his fault. He left his man all alone in the slot, the man who received the pass from behind the net and put it in. I don't want to hear how Foster helps the PP because his d-zone coverage is so bad that it outdoes any positive effect he has on the team. Speaking of the PP, that sucked today along with our penalty kill. When you lose the special teams battle 2-0, you usually don't win games. Take out Foster's sh!tty play and the PP goals and the Devils are up 1-0.

Foster also got stripped of the puck seconds before. The Devils PP just flat out sucks. Even when they are able to set up for 60 seconds or so...it looks very harmless. Parise used to be able to surprise goalies from the short side where he is parked, but that just hasn't worked all year. Clarkson isn't very good in front and Kovy rarely shoots a shot that has a goalie screened.

We win this game 1-0 if not for Foster and special teams. Foster just flat-out sucks and the first goal was all his fault. He left his man all alone in the slot, the man who received the pass from behind the net and put it in. I don't want to hear how Foster helps the PP because his d-zone coverage is so bad that it outdoes any positive effect he has on the team. Speaking of the PP, that sucked today along with our penalty kill. When you lose the special teams battle 2-0, you usually don't win games. Take out Foster's sh!tty play and the PP goals and the Devils are up 1-0.

i really but don't know what foster is doing that anyone could claim that he's helping the PP... 75% of his pass are bad and his decisions is bad too... he's either not passing to Kovy when he's in good position for a one timer... he's giving back the puck to Elias whos stuck against the boards with no other options than giving it back to him... and when he's setting up Kovy the pass is bad most of the time. He also made some very risky/dumb plays on the blueline who could have cost us

i don't mind muchhh Foster cause he didnt gave up a lot but i'd rather no see him getting that much ice time, i'd rather see a youngster make a mistake and assume he's gonna learn from it and to think he's gonna be better later... than see a mistake from a vet who's just patching and suppose to help.....

Edited by SterioDesign

Foster also got stripped of the puck seconds before. The Devils PP just flat out sucks. Even when they are able to set up for 60 seconds or so...it looks very harmless. Parise used to be able to surprise goalies from the short side where he is parked, but that just hasn't worked all year. Clarkson isn't very good in front and Kovy rarely shoots a shot that has a goalie screened.

Good catch; I forgot to mention that.

And I agree that the PP is awful. It's just so stagnant. Parise stands at the side of the net waiting, and when he gets the puck he tries to push it through the goalie which never works. Kovalchuk just stands at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer which never goes in because the goalie is expecting it and has a clear view of the shot. Foster just stands in the center of the ice waiting to give the puck to Kovalchuk. When Elias gets the puck on the half-boards he can't create any offense because nobody is in a position to score. We need to get some movement on the PP; have Kovy and Foster switch to pull the d-man out of position. Have Kovy sneak down low for a back-door pass. Have Clarkson rotate into the high slot to receive a pass from Elias or Parise. People are always yelling shoot, but what we really need is for someone to move.

i really but don't know what foster is doing that anyone could claim that he's helping the PP... 75% of his pass are bad and his decisions is bad too... he's either not passing to Kovy when he's in good position for a one timer... he's giving back the puck to Elias whos stuck against the boards with no other options than giving it back to him... and when he's setting up Kovy the pass is bad most of the time. He also made some very risky/dumb plays on the blueline who could have cost us

i don't mind muchhh Foster cause he didnt gave up a lot but i'd rather no see him getting that much ice time, i'd rather see a youngster make a mistake and assume he's gonna learn from it and to think he's gonna be better later... than see a mistake from a vet who's just patching and suppose to help.....

The PP struggles are because nobody is moving; everyone just stands around waiting for something to happen. That's why Elias is stuck on the boards with no options. Kovy will rarely, if ever, score on the one-timer when everyone in the entire building knows that one is coming. He just stands there waiting and waiting and waiting until Foster decides it's time to send over a sh!tty pass that will be one-timed right into the goalie's stomach.

I absolutely mind Foster because he is terrible in the defensive zone and I'd rather see him sit. However, we don't really have another option until Greene gets back, and even then I think we'll see Tao sit instead of Foster. Hopefully once the playoffs come around our entire D will be back at full health so that Foster will be forced to sit.

Guys I'm sorry this speaks for itself and is absolutely pathetic.

@TGfireandice Devils are a combined 2-6-1 vs. top 4 teams in East in pts -- Rangers, Boston, Ottawa and Flyers -- with both wins coming in shootouts.

go back a few seasons....thats whats troublesome, it was a losing trend that started and continued.

Oh and btw I miss Fraser. At least he was tough. Besides that goal vs. the Jets this man has done absolutely zip for this team. Not exactly the best trade.

Yes, it's absolutely pathetic that they're losing to the teams that are very, very good. How dare they.

It is pathetic because the team is better than that

go back a few seasons....thats whats troublesome, it was a losing trend that started and continued.

This team started playing sketchy like this when they signed Kovalchuck and when Marty starting deteriorating.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Yes, it's absolutely pathetic that they're losing to the teams that are very, very good. How dare they.

Dude, come off it. We're not saying they should dominate or be competitive, but it would be at least comforting to know we're a thron in their side. These are the teams we'll face in the playoffs if we make the playoffs.

Yes, playoffs and regular season are different ballgames, but the confidence created to play in the playoffs is generated through the regular season and I'm pretty sure if the playoffs happened today and the Devils were set to play one of these 4 teams their confidence wouldn't be high at all.

I mean remember 09-10? We didn't have a very good regular season record against Philly and they beat us handily in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure out regular season record against the Flyers, consciously or subconsciously, had something to do with us being beaten like a drum by them in the playoffs.

• Like 1

It certainly felt like special teams were the difference in this one. Our PP rarely put together any threatening chances, theirs created danger whenever it managed to get set up (and not implode by taking a penalty). I sure hope that our PK swagger isn't gone, just that confidence being down a man can be a big help.

We controlled play for most of the game, just like against Boston. Certainly it's frustrating that all of that time holding the puck gets us only one goal, while these other teams seem to need just a few lapses to cash in multiple times. But the improvement has shown. We didn't belong on the ice with these teams earlier in the season, and the 4-1 finals don't tell the whole story either. If the team improves this next month as it has the last month, more success should follow.

Guys I'm sorry this speaks for itself and is absolutely pathetic.

@TGfireandice Devils are a combined 2-6-1 vs. top 4 teams in East in pts -- Rangers, Boston, Ottawa and Flyers -- with both wins coming in shootouts.

You're right.. Losing to good teams is pathetic.. We should be losing to bad teams.. Every time you post its so overly dramatic.. Chill out

Good teams are good because they win a lot.. How is it pathetic when we lose to one of them? Most teams have.. I guess you'll only be happy with a perfect 82-0

Edited by Colin226

Oh and btw I miss Fraser. At least he was tough. Besides that goal vs. the Jets this man has done absolutely zip for this team. Not exactly the best trade.

It is pathetic because the team is better than that

This team started playing sketchy like this when they signed Kovalchuck and when Marty starting deteriorating.

Fraser was absolutely useless. Fraser played just 4 games with the Ducks before he was banished to their minor league team.

I don't know why people think the Devils should be winning every game. It's just not a top level team right now. It's a middle of the road team, and middle of the road teams win some nights, they lose some nights. They win games they shouldn't, and they lose games they should've won, and sometimes they get their butts kicked soundly.

Your Kovalchuk comment is more revisionist history. The team was mired in a slump when they made the Kovalchuk trade because they were trying to play with an identity that didn't fit them. Now they are a young team that will make mistakes but has potential to improve.

You're right.. Losing to good teams is pathetic.. We should be losing to bad teams.. Every time you post its so overly dramatic.. Chill out

Good teams are good because they win a lot.. How is it pathetic when we lose to one of them? Most teams have.. I guess you'll only be happy with a perfect 82-0

Good teams are more than good because they win. Good teams are good because they capitalize on opportunity, play a full 60 minutes and are disciplined. We do none of that.

I second this.

With all due respect, this dude makes these GDT's really annoying.

He pisses and rants if we lose to a team we "weren't supposed to lose to" - like the world is ending.

He pisses and moans that we're pathetic if we lose to elite teams - even if we put up a competitive effort.

Folks here have tried to say it in "nice" ways, "chill out", "try to relax", "I'm worried about your health".... now its just getting annoying.

If you can't handle a loss don't watch the games - teams lose - its understandable to be upset. We're all big fans and upset - but please try to find a more productive way to vent it.

Sorry - just had to be said.

• Like 1

Good teams are more than good because they win. Good teams are good because they capitalize on opportunity, play a full 60 minutes and are disciplined. We do none of that.

You're right.. That's why we aren't in a playoff spot.. Again, it's "we didn't do that the past 2 games" not "we do none of that and completely suck and will miss the playoffs"

We played a near perfect 40 minutes against the probable repeat Cup champs.. I'll take it in January if we can build on it.. Flyers, well, like Devils Dose said their special teams destroyed ours but it's been great in January so I'm not worried

Edited by Colin226

I always wonder how this team fooled some into thinking that we're elite or contendors?

Did anybody have that perception when White was waived? When Zajac was reported hurt in the off-season? When we signed Eric Boulton?

Wasn't the perception then that playoffs alone would be great?

We have an overachieving team with some young kids that have shown excellent potential, but without some serious defensive upgrades and we can never run with teams like Boston, Philly, or Vancouver that FIND ways to wind because they have that defensive confidence - even if they are down by 2.

The reason so many of us are upset with the recent losses and seasons is that since Lou got here HIS philosophy has been about being better than the rest, always having the goal in mind of winning the Stanley Cup, and that losing isnt acceptable, being good isnt good enough when better is expected. Pat Burns said it best back in the day "other teams are OK with losing, but not the NJ Devils, the NJ Devils are a different organization where losing isn't tolerated"

That's why we have high standards as fans, it was set by Lou not to accept mediocrity.

The reason so many of us are upset with the recent losses and seasons is that since Lou got here HIS philosophy has been about being better than the rest, always having the goal in mind of winning the Stanley Cup, and that losing isnt acceptable, being good isnt good enough when better is expected. Pat Burns said it best back in the day "other teams are OK with losing, but not the NJ Devils, the NJ Devils are a different organization where losing isn't tolerated"

That's why we have high standards as fans, it was set by Lou not to accept mediocrity.

Guess what? Lou is not a superhero. It was lip service and a nice quote - but that's all it is.

He has no more control than any other GM - trying to get the right pieces to make things work.

He can help that the team didn't suck for 3 years to get #1 picks.

All Teams lose, all franchises transition.

There's no magic fountain in NJ.

NJ isn't immune.

• Like 1

Poor A-train what did he do to get paired with Foster. he's been playing well since coming back from his last injury, and one of the few who can bang on this team. now he has to be perfect or its a -1.

too few good possession from our top line today, philly did a good job winning battles against them.

new guy looks like a help on the 3rd, not going to kill marty he deserved better , hung out to dry a few times

buffalo is a game we need...its been a bit of a buzz kill after the nice west canadian trip.

effort is there with this team every night, and maybe they are slightly overachieving

Dude, come off it. We're not saying they should dominate or be competitive, but it would be at least comforting to know we're a thron in their side. These are the teams we'll face in the playoffs if we make the playoffs.

Yes, playoffs and regular season are different ballgames, but the confidence created to play in the playoffs is generated through the regular season and I'm pretty sure if the playoffs happened today and the Devils were set to play one of these 4 teams their confidence wouldn't be high at all.

I mean remember 09-10? We didn't have a very good regular season record against Philly and they beat us handily in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure out regular season record against the Flyers, consciously or subconsciously, had something to do with us being beaten like a drum by them in the playoffs.

+2

Poor A-train what did he do to get paired with Foster. he's been playing well since coming back from his last injury, and one of the few who can bang on this team. now he has to be perfect or its a -1.

too few good possession from our top line today, philly did a good job winning battles against them.

new guy looks like a help on the 3rd, not going to kill marty he deserved better , hung out to dry a few times

buffalo is a game we need...its been a bit of a buzz kill after the nice west canadian trip.

effort is there with this team every night, and maybe they are slightly overachieving

what's really messed up is that Foster is getting more ice time than A train, and Salvador

The record of 2-6-1 is poor..sorry not pathetic. I guess 0-9 would be pathetic. The Devils are just better than that. I don't have to name the amount of players on this team with talent. I understand we can't win every game but the way we just seem to be handled so easily bothers the sh!t out of me because the team definitely isn't sitting back. They're trying hard and still the games are ending 6-1, 4-1, 4-1...it's not good. There are no positives in those kinds of loses. I'm not 'cool' with the fact the team tries and losses like that. Nobody should be happy with that.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3