Ryane Clowe signs with the Devils. 5 years. 4.85 per.

ghdi

I'm hearing this is an awful move.

Great.

At least we've improved in the goalie department, other than that nothing to be excited about thus far.

A bit harsh there eh? As of 12:05PM, we were already an upgrade from last year's roster.

The money is definitely a less than stellar part of this deal, but a great thing to remember about this move is that's is a rare case of a Ranger becomin a Devil and not vice-versa, so that should let you rest a little easier regarding the money.

The three goals thing is overblown.  He had 0 goals in 65 shots (in 28 games) in SJ.  He was effective there, it's just the puck wasn't going in for whatever reason.  

The bad:

Clowe takes dumb penalties  Sharks got better after they replaced him with Torres.  

The Good:

He has a physical element to his game that is rare, and obviously the Devils paid a premium to acquire it.  He is arguably a better player than Clarkson, certainly a better skater.  He can play on all 4 lines and contribute. 

I'd certainly rather have Clowe at the contract he signed for than Clarkson's contract, but I thought Clowe would go for less.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I am optimistic for this contract. Yes, it's hard to argue that it isn't a bit too much for a bit too long, but all UFA deals end up being that way. All things considered, this one isn't TOO bad. The big risk is can he stay healthy given his history with concussions. Obviously Lou and the team feel that he can. If he does stay healthy, I think he could be a good fit playing opposite Kovy. He is a big body who can drive the net and has the hands to put in garbage goals.

Not a fan. Like others have said - too much, too long. Injuries galore.  And head injuries to boot. Bleh.

There's reasons for concern.  There's some age on this team. 

At least they're getting younger in goal and still have younger replacements on the horizon on D. Up front they're old without prospect depth but they don't have much choice right now. Can't exactly fault the Ryder deal. This one was a necessary evil to a degree.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He's about a year and half older and had one bad season in a short year. Let's not just exaggerate for the sake of exaggerating here. But if we wanna get really crazy, Clowe and Clarkson had the same amount of goals post trade deadline last year and Clowe had twice as many points.

You did the exaggerating. I did not say Ryan Clowe is sh!t who will serve us no use. All I said was that he is a question mark where Clarkson has performed in the NJ system. Additionally, I made the point that Clowe is not a great deal cheaper per year than Clarkson and 5M is a bit much for 3 goals in 40 games - of course I believe he'll do better than that.

You did the exaggerating. I did not say Ryan Clowe is sh!t who will serve us no use. All I said was that he is a question mark where Clarkson has performed in the NJ system. Additionally, I made the point that Clowe is not a great deal cheaper per year than Clarkson and 5M is a bit much for 3 goals in 40 games - of course I believe he'll do better than that.

Bottom line: Clarkson had no interest in going anywhere else but Toronto.

At least they're getting younger in goal and still have younger replacements on the horizon on D. Up front they're old without prospect depth but they don't have much choice right now. Can't exactly fault the Ryder deal. This one was a necessary evil to a degree.

I'm not really faulting anything Lou has done so far.  I think he's had a strong off-season to date.  I think he's assembled a team that has a pretty good upside, but definitely has some question marks. 

Bottom line: Clarkson had no interest in going anywhere else but Toronto.

No disagreement there. And I would never want him at that price and length. I am not regretting Clarkson leaving, simply analyzing the Clowe signing.

I'm not really faulting anything Lou has done so far.  I think he's had a strong off-season to date.  I think he's assembled a team that has a pretty good upside, but definitely has some question marks. 

This is where I'm at right now. Lou needed to do his best to bring someone here and he did. I think we're improved with the additions and the development of our current players albeit marginally.

Edited by Neb00rs

your looking at one season for that. Overall in san jose he was a great player and force. Clarkson was one or the other.

what does this mean in the bold

Lamoriello on Clowe: "He puts on all the players on the bench because of the way he plays and how he handles himself.

does it mean he serves many roles?

It means that he's chosen above others.

And all I was pointing out is that Clarkson was far from a sure thing to produce had he stayed. We're only a couple years removed from 18 points in 82 games. The contract isn't great for Clowe, but it would've been a risk either way. That's all I was getting at.

Edited by PWW

one thing i'd point out is that... our idea of value per player post-lockout will eventually change. Because of the new rules you cant have those low season who drop your cap hit so we were used to see superstar we 5-6m cap hit... we won't see that anymore. now a first line center or a top player in the league its 7.5m and above... Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Giroux etc etc etc those are the new ball park for superstars and thats what other top players are gauging their new contract on.

So a 4,5,6m player these days doesnt have to be a superstar. But its gonna take awhile to get use to that since so many players are still under those old contracts. Especially since the cap will go up and up

Ryan Clowe should get 180 shots this year and it would surprise me if he didn't get 16 goals. There is a good chance he has a higher shooting % and post 20 goals. Ryder should get 20 goals in his sleep with decent minutes. If you can give him Elias on his line watch out. Olesz should chip in 9 or 10 goals.

I've thought about this deal - why do GMs overpay players?

A:  To get them to come to their city.  Tough to get a guy to come if he's not getting the best offer.  So there's that element.  And some GMs, knowing their city isn't much of a draw, have to offer significantly more.

B:  The GM has inappropriately valued the player.  He's seeing things that aren't there about his game and believes he is a better player than he actually is.

C:  The GM feels that while the deal itself is not great, the scarcity of the player type means either overpaying or going without.  

Obviously I think that C is why Lou signed this deal - there were 3 guys like this:  Clarkson, Clowe, and Horton.  The latter 2 got 7 year deals.  You look at the class of 2014, and there isn't this sort of player available there either.  The Devils don't have the trade assets to get a guy like this and while Matteau might be looked at as this sort of player in a few years, that's in a few years.  So thus is life.  I don't love it - I don't like overvaluing types of players, I feel like teams are more malleable than that, but hopefully he has the speed to play with a guy like Kovalchuk.