My thoughts On Trading Marty

cgb6397

There's obviously been a lot of talk about it, and there's a million different sides people are taking. Some people want him gone, some say only if it's a good return, some are saying nobody will want him anyway, but there's another side, the side I'm on, that I think too many people are missing. Even if we do get a good return, and it's a profitable deal for us, I don't want to see it done. People are missing the point of being a fan, people are denying the emotional connection we've had with Marty for 20 years now. I've watched him since I was a little kid, he was one of my heroes growing up.

Are the emotions that you've shared with Marty, watching him win three cups, watching him seal the all time wins and shutouts records, and hanging our heads with him in 2001 and 2012 REALLY more important to you than the few wins that trading him this year might bring about? Sports doesn't have to be a business, people, we are humans beings taking in human beings playing a sport that they love. If Marty does get traded, or if this game today vs. the Islanders is his last in our sweater, I'll be devastated.

You are missing a major point in this:

Marty wants a chance to play more. He is interested in a trade.

Anyway, I have posted a ton about it n the past, and the main thing is Brodeur playing 15-20 games anywhere else is irrelevant to me. Seeing a player like him in another jersey doesn't change anything that happened in the past with the Devils. I don't get why you should be devastated if he gets traded. The break up sounds like it would be as easy going as any long-term team-player relationship ever has.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

thats the thing. we have so much connection with him that he is like a family member. and seeing him go onto another team wouldnt be an insult. and i guarantee everyone here would cheer him on with whatever team he is on. hes paid his dues here. he can do whatever he wants. i wont hold anything against him. 

In fairness cgb6397, do you start this thread if Marty gives up five goals and looks bad today?

dr33 is right.  If Marty wants more playing time, can't get it here, and decides he want to get it elsewhere, then that's how it goes.  It's not like we're getting ripped off or robbed...we got to see him at his very best, for several years. 

We have so many great Brodeur memories to reflect on...not sure how anyone can feel devastated by this.  If (still a big if) he does get moved, it will be a sad day, and I'm sure it will hit me harder than I think it will, but I don't feel so nostalgic that I think Marty should start getting playing time at Cory's (and the team's) expense.  Cory has earned the job even though it seemed like the team was fighting that inevitability.  Like dr33, I've also posted on this subject many times, and all one has to do is look up other top-winning goalies to see that what Marty has done for one team is pretty much unheard of.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In fairness cgb6397, do you start this thread if Marty gives up five goals and looks bad today?

dr33 is right.  If Marty wants more playing time, can't get it here, and decides he want to get it elsewhere, then that's how it goes.  It's not like we're getting ripped off or robbed...we got to see him at his very best, for several years. 

We have so many great Brodeur memories to reflect on...not sure how anyone can feel devastated by this.  If (still a big if) he does get moved, it will be a sad day, and I'm sure it will hit me harder than I think it will, but I don't feel so nostalgic that I think Marty should start getting playing time at Cory's (and the team's) expense.  Cory has earned the job even though it seemed like the team was fighting that inevitability.  Like dr33, I've also posted on this subject many times, and all one has to do is look up other top-winning goalies to see that what Marty has done for one team is pretty much unheard of.   

If Marty does want more playing time, and he wants to keep playing after this year and Lou doesn't want him back, I wouldn't feel badly about that at all. Of all the three players that have walked (Kovalchuk, Parise and Clarkson, and now Marty, if it were to happen) it would sting the least. He'd be making his own decision, we wouldn't be sending him out, and I could feel good about rooting for him in another sweater.

And just to touch upon what you brought up, regarding if I'd have these feelings if he had a poor showing, no, you're right, I wouldn't, but I think a lot of the animosity that is created this season after Marty plays poorly is due to poor management. Pete has played Marty in so many games this year, chiefly the Stadium Series game, in which he shouldn't have. This season didn't have to be half as ugly as it has been for Marty, because he obviously still has it.

To add to this: I would get way more joy seeing Brodeur go somewhere and do well then him sit on the bench for the rest of the season behind Cory. I'm excited to root for Brodeur actually playing somewhere else...especially because that is what he wants.

So I can take in everything the OP says in the first post, and turn it around and say, well if he has done so much for you as a fan and in your life, then be happy for what he wants to do now.

If Marty does want more playing time, and he wants to keep playing after this year and Lou doesn't want him back, I wouldn't feel badly about that at all. Of all the three players that have walked (Kovalchuk, Parise and Clarkson, and now Marty, if it were to happen) it would sting the least. He'd be making his own decision, we wouldn't be sending him out, and I could feel good about rooting for him in another sweater.

And just to touch upon what you brought up, regarding if I'd have these feelings if he had a poor showing, no, you're right, I wouldn't, but I think a lot of the animosity that is created this season after Marty plays poorly is due to poor management. Pete has played Marty in so many games this year, chiefly the Stadium Series game, in which he shouldn't have. This season didn't have to be half as ugly as it has been for Marty, because he obviously still has it.

He was going to get the Stadium game pretty much no matter what.  Of course we all wish it could've turned out a whole lot better, but that game was his and rightly so. 

PDB seemed very hesitant to trust Cory, but I've posted the game breakdown, and it basically came down to a Marty having a nice stretch early and Cory having one meh stretch that delayed the passing of the torch.  Marty doesn't really have it anymore...not consistently, and that's the problem.  No one knows what they're getting from him from game to game, and to be around .900 in save% for 58 games in today's NHL (that's over this season and last)...that's just not good.

And yeah dr33, I would root for Marty for his new team without hesitation (not at the Devils' expense of course).  If he gets more playing time somewhere else and makes the most of it, great for him for writing one nice final chapter.

Is that really necessary?  That's the height of being ungrateful.

The forensic guys always manage to be that way to a fault.  OK Jason, who's the awesome 7th-rounder the Devils passed up in taking Anthony?  That was a great moment for Marty and his son...not sure how you can knock it.   

Don't want Marty in another jersey. End of story for me. In a perfect world he accepts his role as a backup next year and gets to 700 wins next year with us. Ill be disappointed with any other outcome.

He's at 683 wins and figures to get 3-5 starts if Cory stays healthy.  700 wins seems like a long shot if he's a backup here next season, and not just because Cory should get at least 60 starts.  700 doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot if he has to limp towards it.   

Marty ranked 42nd in save% last season (out of 50 qualifiers) and is 39th out of 43 qualifiers this season, according to nhl.com.  He also appears to be grappling with his reduced playing time...if he comes back next season to "back up", I think to him, that means 30-35 games.  Anything less, and I don't think he'll be happy.  That should NOT happen here.  I've seen enough over the past two seasons to feel that his playing any more than 20 games (which is probably a little too much) would be a serious detriment to the Devils. 

Like others have said, Cory deserves to have the job uncontested.  I'd be surprised if Marty would ever be willing to be a 15-20 game backup...he wants to play.  I'll always love everything Marty did as a Devil, but I wouldn't let him Messier his way into another season here.  Ideally, he'll accept that he's got a few more starts (but only a few) as a Devil this season and retire...but he doesn't seem to want that.       

IMO Marty has earned the right to do whatever he wants. He's given 20 years to this franchise with 3 cups while being a pretty model citizen the whole time. I would love for him to finish his career here, but if he feels the need to move on then I wish him the best. I may not understand it, but I wish him the best and do view his legacy here in any less esteem.

Edited by dmann422

i agree and i feel pretty similar to the OP.. ive been watching marty since i was a little kid his jersey was the first one i ever got i loved and still love the guy he was my hero .. i have a whole bunch of marty auto's and memorobilia .. i too would be quite upset if he was to be traded.. which is why i decided to make the troop out to L.I. today to see him play.. However it is kind of clear that he no longer wants to play here anymore hes not happy. He wants to go somewhere he will get more chances to play and thats understandable to a point

I don't understand why 700's so important, it's just a round number.  Marty already leads in wins by a mile.  I prefer to believe it's an honest wanting to play until they drag him out type thing.

In fairness, the only people I've ever heard bring up 700 wins are fans speculating why Marty still wants to play.  I've never heard Marty himself mention anything about 700 wins meaning anything to him.

Here's my feelings on the situation. If Marty came out and said, "Hey, look, I'm done after this season," then I'd keep him as a backup and let him retire as a Devil. But the fact that he's unhappy and seems to be heavily leaning towards playing again next season is significant and the Devils can NOT re-sign him. They just can't. It would be so utterly counter-productive and I have no faith that Pete (who I think will be back) won't fvck it up if Marty comes back. With that being said, trade him instead of letting him walk for nothing because either way it seems he won't finish his career in this jersey. I've made my peace with it.

Edited by PWW

In a perfect world, Marty retires in June as a Devil. We don't live in that world. I've said it before, but Marty's greatest strength in his prime was his supreme confidence. Now that he's not the best (by a long shot), that confidence becomes a detriment. I'm hoping against hope that someone gets through to Marty and he retires as a Devil, with some dignity, so everyone remembers him as the GOAT rather than just another guy who hung on for too long. If he leaves, so be it, and I'll wish him the best wherever he goes, as long as it doesn't hurt the Devils, but the guy who gave up money for the Devils should get to retire as a career Devil, especially considering the odds on him playing well as a starter for someone else are low at this point.

Here's my feelings on the situation. If Marty came out and said, "Hey, look, I'm done after this season," then I'd keep him as a backup and let him retire as a Devil. But the fact that he's unhappy and seems to be heavily leaning towards playing again next season is significant and the Devils can NOT re-sign him. They just can't. It would be so utterly counter-productive and I have no faith that Pete (who I think will be back) won't fvck it up if Marty comes back. With that being said, trade him instead of letting him walk for nothing because either way it seems he won't finish his career in this jersey. I've made my peace with it.

perfect post. well for me. 

Listen, I don't want Marty to leave either but we have to deal with the facts: he has pretty much made it clear that he wants playing time and will go wherever he needs to go to get it. There's a chance he stays past the trade deadline this year but it's more than likely he will be in another jersey next year, unless he has an enormous change of heart. Also, I don't believe for a second 700 is the reason Brodeur is still playing. It is important to him, but isn't that big of a deal when compared to his desire to play hockey.