White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have been the most useless post in the thread. And I always like your stuff Colin, but c'mon. You can't just dismiss an opinion because "la dee da I don't believe it"

It was meant to be useless, just like speculating about team finances because we aren't spending to the cap and waived 2 aging players.. C'mon man it's just not reasonable to speculate so much when we know so little.. NJDevs shouldn't stoop to TMZ levels

Wow. Totally shocked to see White on waivers.

A couple things pop into mind.

One is that maybe Lou has learned from past mistakes of being too loyal to his soldiers. Pandolfo comes immediately to mind. Instead of signing someone to a "Thank you for your service" contract, maybe now he's trying to cut someone loose while another team might still see value in him.

Another is that maybe Whitey was actually a bad egg in the locker room. The Langs saga comes to mind. Lemaire wanted to give White the C for the night, but he refused. Maybe that's insubordination in Lou's eyes, and this is just more house cleaning?

Or maybe it's more budget-minded, self-imposed cap stuff because of ownership. Or maybe Lou & Co. really do have Larsson penned in for opening night. Or Salvador's doing better than we thought.

Could be anything at this point. But ever since he stopped taking at least one mind-numbingly stupid penalty per night, I've been a Whitey fan. Sad to see him (potentially) go.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

It was meant to be useless, just like speculating about team finances because we aren't spending to the cap and waived 2 aging players.. C'mon man it's just not reasonable to speculate so much when we know so little.. NJDevs shouldn't stoop to TMZ levels

Maybe the Devils just wanted to save money? Unless the new storage space at the Rock is a sh!thole, then I wouldn't look too much into this. You wouldn't want to save $10k a year if you had the choice and ability to?

I don't think it needs one right now.. Let's see how it plays out and then we can judge..

But for everyone who is so concerned with team finances, I was in the Devils offices last week and they are moving the entire warehouse (that was still in the meadowlands) to the arena in Newark, which saves the team upwards of $10k a month in rent.. I'll talk to management about setting the office temperature a few degrees higher to save on energy costs if people would like me to

LOWER DAMMMIT A few degrees LOWER! <_<barnie.gif

oh... Summer I get now... no -- there should be no air conditioning whatsoever... that's why the lord made windows... unless they saved money putting in windows that don't open... look solar power that's all -- put solar paneling everywhere and call it modern art.

Edited by Pepperkorn

C'mon man we get it. You think the team is in the green-green-green and think it's a cap move. Agree to disagree, I guess.

This is what makes the boards so fun.. In a few years, we get to bring this thread back and laugh about how wrong we were :cheers: I'm still trying to find the thread where Tri talked about how Palmieri couldn't keep up with the NHL pace and would be sent down in a game or two (sorry to pick on you Tri)

Maybe the Devils just wanted to save money? Unless the new storage space at the Rock is a sh!thole, then I wouldn't look too much into this. You wouldn't want to save $10k a year if you had the choice and ability to?

Of course I would.. I'm just making the joke that we shouldn't look into every little detail as a sign of a huge issue, when we know so little about what could really be happening.. It's a very real possibility that the Devils are in financial trouble, but only JVB, Lou, and the finance department really know what's up so who am I to make such claims

Edited by Colin226

i know that its good to have cap space... but i dont know... if salvadore stays on LTIR, then we almost have too much cap space while shipping that could have been useful after all?

we only have 2 vets dman now... so were gonna have a rookie bottom pairing for sure, unless those moves are made to bring someone in

This is what makes the boards so fun.. In a few years, we get to bring this thread back and laugh about how wrong we were :cheers:

Of course I would.. I'm just making the joke that we shouldn't look into every little detail as a sign of a huge issue, when we know so little about what could really be happening.. It's a very real possibility that the Devils are in financial trouble, but only JVB, Lou, and the finance department really know what's up so who am I to make such claims

AH sorry didn't see the sarcasm in your post lol.

Where do you get that? We have to pay half of each of their caps for double the remaining length, if I remember correctly. So, we save 1.5 from white and 1 from Hunter... we open up 2.5m in cap space, but now have 2.5m in dead space for this year.

I haven't tried to do the math, but this is what TG tweeted:

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

Devils would save $3,333,333 in cap space for 2011-12 with White and Hunter bought out.

Where do you get that? We have to pay half of each of their caps for double the remaining length, if I remember correctly. So, we save 1.5 from white and 1 from Hunter... we open up 2.5m in cap space, but now have 2.5m in dead space for this year.

Devils are at $2.5mil in cap space this year, Gulitti has said Devils will save $3.3mil this season with the moves. That makes it $5.8mil in cap space for 2011-12 with Corrente, Fraser, Larsson, and Palmieri on the roster. Any of them go down and obviously the Devils clear more.

White's buyout is $1mil in 2011-12 and 2012-13. His salary is $3mil. $2mil in savings.

Hunter's buyout is $.66mil in 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15. His salary is $2mil. $1.33mil in savings.

Hence, $3.33mil in savings.

Edited by insanity_gallops

no, you pay 2/3rds of the original cap hit, spread out over twice the number of seasons remaining on the contract. so colin white's buyout cap hit is $1M this season, and hunter's is $667,000.

right now NJ has $6M in cap space, with salvador on the roster, no larsson, and fraser as the 7th d.

Edited by Triumph

@TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

Devils would save $3,333,333 in cap space for 2011-12 with White and Hunter bought out.

For White, the 2/3 buyout would be $2 million, spread over two years—or $1 million per year.

For Hunter, acquired Thurs. from Isles for Rolston, the buyout price would $2,666,667 spread over four seasons—or $666,667 per season .

A buyout is 2/3 of the remaining salary over double the length remaining on the contract.

Edit: Buyouts are a little more complicated and factor in the difference between salary and cap hit from year to year as well.

Edited by Toaster13

What is this I don't even...sh!ts getting blown up!

Some good reasons for the buyout in this thread, but I mean...as was mentioned above:

1. Volchenkov - Greene

2. Tallinder - ??

3. ?? - ??

with the '??' representing unproven talent.

We've had this debate before on the boards, but I still don't think Tao is proven. Obviously Larsson is a rookie but will probably play in the bottom pairing. Fayne had a solid-ish second half last year, but is he a top 4? Salvador, off of not playing for an entire year? Fraser ( :argh: )?

Edited by Devilsfan118